Would you buy a used Epik Empire sub or not?

L

l300lover

Audioholic Intern
I have a chance to buy an Epik Empire sub. It would cost me about $700 used. Is that too much for this sub? And what would I do if the amp or a driver went bad?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have a chance to buy an Epik Empire sub. It would cost me about $700 used. Is that too much for this sub? And what would I do if the amp or a driver went bad?
I would skip it and go for something brand new with a nice warranty.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
what about this sub? would you recommend an SVS pb12 plus over this earthquake?
Amazon.com: Earthquake Sound Supernova MKV-15VC 15-inch Powered Subwoofer (Cherry, Single): Electronics
That Earthquake is probably a pretty good sub, but IMO there are too many good options out there for me to ever want to spend that kind of money on it. I've never heard either of the subs in question, so a recommendation is a bit tough. However, what I can say is that the SVS has a lot more documented data on it, so you know exactly what you're getting when you but it and the SVS customer service is said to be second to none, which is enough for me to say that if it were me I wouldn't risk it on the Earthquake.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$700 used for an Empire is almost what it cost new. Not a good buy. Drivers will likely last a long time, but the amps are an unknown and I've already had mine replaced once...and will obviously have to make it passive if it goes again. If $700 is your range, why not a PSA, SVS, HSU or Rythmik? PLENTY of solid choices.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a SVS over Earthquake.

M

mdm1699

Audiophyte
I sold my used Empire for $400. It is an amazing and very capable sub. However, you shouldn't pay more than $400 given the history of amp failures and the fact that Epik is out of business.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
$700 is way too much. Take a look at something new from SVS, HSU, or PSA.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Depends. Is the seller local to you? If so, negotiate a demo before purchase, or a return period if it's defective or doesn't live up to your expectation. And also, as some of the others have noted, $700 is too much. Instead, offer him $400 if it works.

Last edited:
B

Basshead81

Audioholic
Agree with everyone else that 700.00 is way too much. I believe they retailed for 800.00.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis