Once again: what are you listening to now?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Ry Cooder: Police Dog Blues
This reminded me of one of my favorite Ry Cooder album's, Into The Purple Valley (*****). I was going to post his version of Denomination Blues but found this treasure instead, the original by Washington Phillips.

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Trews "Hope and Ruin" on CD

R.L. Burnside "burnside on Burnside on CD

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
[h=1]Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Chocolate Jesus[/h]

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Listening to a Victor Wooten take on Breakfast in Tunisia, holy cow, it's AWESOME!!!!!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd like to send this out to my daughter Katerina, on her engagement party today. :)

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Some Blues...

Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour

Live in Europe is from 1972. Raw, stripped down sound. You can hear the amps buzz and the snare rattle. Electric and acoustic.

Irish Tour is from 1974. Just rips.

The Stones thought enough of Rory's playing that they asked him to join the band after the departure of Mick Taylor. He turned them down.

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
I just watched this on a local T.V. Station, and thought i'd share it with you all. She's blind and has (I think) Cytomeglo virus? (Never heard of it, but read that off her website.) I think she's very, very talented, and wanted too share it with you folks. This is the first time I've heard of her. Anyways, her name is Marlana Vanhoose. Enjoy!!*Tim Farmer's Homemade Jam - Episode 112 - Marlana Vanhoose - YouTube :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I saw Rory 3 times in the 70's and he stole the show each time. He opened once for 10cc & another for The Pretty Things and the encores went on so long that the MC's had to come out and remind the audience that the headliners were ready to come on. The last show I saw, in Camden, NJ, he was the headliner and he played for over 2 hours. Unbelievable guitar player. This is from a BBC appearance. RIP Rory.
Rory Gallagher - Got My Mojo Workin'

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Rickster, give this a listen...

You don't listen to enough Rush!

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
I saw Rory 3 times in the 70's and he stole the show each time. ...Unbelievable guitar player.
That's awesome. Saw him with my brother a couple times in the late '70s, then again in 1982. There was something about his playing that was just different. I mean, he had the chops, yeah, but there was an honesty about him that was simply extraordinary. He didn't play for you or at you, he boogied along right there with you. Good memories.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
That's awesome. Saw him with my brother a couple times in the late '70s, then again in 1982. There was something about his playing that was just different. I mean, he had the chops, yeah, but there was an honesty about him that was simply extraordinary. He didn't play for you or at you, he boogied along right there with you. Good memories.

6 bucks a ticket. :eek: I sure miss that.

One of the most down to earth musicians I've seen on the stage; the other being Nick Lowe. After every song; thank you, thank you, thank you. My first record by Rory was Deuce (*******) and then a couple of months later, Live in Europe (*******) in 1972, my junior year of high school. I spread the gospel and many a party ended with everyone pissed, singing "Goin' To My Hometown". I went thru 3 copies of Live In Europe until I graduated the next year. :) The sad part though was that he had zero marketing and it was all word of mouth. We'd call the local "progressive" radio station (WMMR) and request his songs and those hippie zombie DJ's wouldn't play his songs and Rory was concentrating on conquering Europe. I really feel he missed an opportunity at that time. Flash forward to 1975 and he's the opening act for 10cc. About 8 of us get good & trashed and we go down to the Tower Theatre to finally see our hero. Keep in mind he's still obscure in the US, so we have no idea what the reception is gonna be like. He comes out and opens with, you guessed it, "Goin' To My Hometown" and the place starts to rock. I mean really rock. People are looking at each other and going, who is this guy? He's really 'effing good. By the end of the hour set the place is going wild, they love 'em. He gets 3 encores and he's trying to be nice and telling people to welcome 10cc but the crowd doesn't want to hear it. They continue clapping & whooping it up. They want another encore and 10cc comes on-stage and breaks into their first song. The booing starts and just goes on for the rest of the song. One of the members of 10cc, I think it was Eric Stewart, threatens the crowd that if they don't stop booing, they can go "F" themselves. One thing you never, ever wanna do is threaten a Philly crowd. That's like pouring gasoline on a fire. I once saw a Philly crowd at the Spectrum make Debra Harry (Blondie) cry and walk off stage after about 4 songs. In defense of the audience, she couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag. :D But I digress ...

Now the booing starts reaching ear splitting levels and some people are making a move to storm the stage. They got to about halfway thru their 3rd song and gave up. The crowd is cheering and chanting, Rory! Rory! Rory!, and have no intention of leaving until their new hero comes out and gives them a couple of more tunes. But Rory's not coming out and the theatre staff turns on the lights and announces that the concert is over. More gasoline on the fire. Paper cups are flying, some guys are trying to set the seats on fire ... pure bedlam. Now they announce that the Lower Merion cops are on the way, over the PA system and this further enrages them. You'd think they told them that they were holding their mothers hostage. At that point we decided to skee-daddle and cheese it before the cops showed up. In the news the next day I read that 24 people got arrested and the township was seriously considering shutting down the venue because they were under-staffed to handle the crowd. Ahhh ... good times! :D Very memorable indeed. :)

And those hippie pr$cks still wouldn't play his songs on the radio. :mad::D:D:D

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Great story, Ponzio. Reminds me of a blurb I read in some rock 'n roll magazine when I was a kid (probably CREEM, or Crawdaddy!) where a relatively unknown Led Zeppelin opened for Iron Butterfly. Something like "Led Zeppelin were so devastating that Iron Butterfly refused to take the stage." Memory's kind of hazy on that one, though. Heh.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Hell, the Stones had it written in their contract, for an appearance on the Dean Martin show, that they had to go on before James Brown did because they didn't want to be embarrassed; even though their record sales were thru the roof and they were more popular at the time. Following James Brown in those days was tantamount to a suicide mission. James took that $hit personal and would go out of his way to punk you.
Ladies & Gentleman, the hardest working man in show business ... Mister James Brown!!!

James Brown. Paris. 1967. Live . - YouTube

Go to 7:00 and feel the burn. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Takes me back...
Tina Dico love her...

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I'm pushing my luck here, with these daily posts, huh? :eek: Please let me know if I'm pushing my luck; no offense will be taken. I've always been the un-official DJ, since I was 10, at parties/events for friends and family. Of course they're used to my annoying habits. :D
Meanwhile back at the farm ... ;)
The Republic Tigers - Buildings And Mountains

This thread is taking longer and longer to load. Is it time someone started a new thread with the same subject line? Or is it the nature of the beast (YouTube)?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis