flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
ha ha.... you should get yourself a life :p
To me I see you as the utter personalization of stupid American :D
So, first, you criticize the bass of the 802s, you list speakers that are within a few hz of the low end frequency of the 802s as not needing subwoofers, then you insult me because I asked what your personal system consists of? I guess you know it all don't you. Maybe I should donate my subs to you as with your mickey mouse system you need them more than I do. :D Eat my heart out? Get a life? You should do both. Did you not look at the picture you posted of your system? Stupid American?? You can kiss my ***…...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would suggest a part of the difference is that the placement of a sub in any given room for 'best' bass response (yeah, I know, 'best' isn't the 'best' word to use...), is not likely to be the best placement of a main speaker (for mids/highs) for the other elements of sound, like imaging, soundstage, etc. So while there are plenty of speakers that CAN get down in the depths, the placement in room to get the deepest response would require too much compromise in the placement for best results in other areas. Imagine having to jam that Marlan head into the corner, instead of having it out in the room where it can visually enjoyed, and do it's sound-thing to it's best ability!! :D
You got it right, it's all about placement - and a bass level control, and multiple parametric equalization points. Just a level control, for example, namely the ability to boost the bass level below about 100Hz gives people the impression of much "better" bass, when in reality the bass response within the frequency range being listened to, the bass quality and quantity capabilities of a tower like the 802D are probably enough.

Both imaging and bass response can be optimized by changing the positions of the speakers, sometimes by just inches in my experience, and the differences are easily measurable. In fact, having played around with measurement equipment in more than a few rooms now, and seeing the results of optimizing placement, I'm to the point where I get amused by seeing nice symmetric speaker and sub placement, with the speakers equidistant from the back and side walls, along with the subs, which are then equidistant from the speakers. Now I see them as non-optimized systems that are set up for looks and not best sound, and I wonder how good they really sound and measure. Simultaneously achieving great bass and great imaging is usually a lot of work (only occasionally does one get lucky), and I haven't yet seen it result from nice symmetric set-ups. As is often stated by the people who study this stuff for a living, multiple bass sources also make smoothing easier, so if you have towers with powerful bass I have found they are correct, that it's more than a bit of a waste to cross them over at 80Hz, even if you have two subs. With speakers like the 802D one probably doesn't even need two subs to make the system great, just one sub, great placement and precise equalization.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
ha ha.... you should get yourself a life :p
To me I see you as the utter personalization of stupid American :D
Congratulations, you are only the third person in my experience at Audioholics I have ever been tempted to give negative reputation to. And it's not just that you bring up that stupid American thing, I'd be just as disgusted if you made a similar remark about Canadians or Spaniards. Your bigotry is disgusting.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I should donate my subs to you ...
If you're going to donate anything I submit that you first consider me as it would save you a bundle on shipping.

Harald may not have the words for it but I think he maybe overstepped in an attempt at some friendly ribbing.

There's also a better than 50/50 chance that he was drunk.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you're going to donate anything I submit that you first consider me as it would save you a bundle on shipping.
There it is. :D

Harald may not have the words for it but I think he maybe overstepped in an attempt at some friendly ribbing.
Word. He's generally a good guy, so my guess is that he effed up some "hey, it's funny in the native Norwegian" saying. :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Did you not look at the picture you posted of your system?
Yep I did :p

If you refer to to special setup of spikes, it comes from PatMcGinty at Meadowlark audio as a means to increase bass pressure, and it works well :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just hate it when it becomes clear that I don't know what I'm talking about.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
they're still using external subwoofers....
Like sixteen 10" (or is that 12") woofers? :D

I have ten 10" woofers + two 18" woofers, and the bass is pretty sweet. So I bet sixteen (10" or 12") woofers would be really sweet. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, first, you criticize the bass of the 802s, you list speakers that are within a few hz of the low end frequency of the 802s as not needing subwoofers, then you insult me because I asked what your personal system consists of? I guess you know it all don't you. Maybe I should donate my subs to you as with your mickey mouse system you need them more than I do. :D Eat my heart out? Get a life? You should do both. Did you not look at the picture you posted of your system? Stupid American?? You can kiss my ***…...
Your system is a dream system for most people. I would have liked to own all McIntosh amps. If I were richer, I would own all McIntosh amps. But they are just too expensive for my cheap a$$. Maybe when I have $4 millions. :D

I've been listening my 802D2 speakers. Awesome speakers and second to none IMO. And that's what it really comes down to, isn't it? Our opinions. :D

Not all speakers are for everyone regardless of price. Some people will never like B&W or 802D2, etc. Nothing new.

Just enjoy your awesome 802D2, SVS 13-Ultra, and McIntosh. :D

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Your system is a dream system for most people. I would have liked to own all McIntosh amps. If I were richer, I would own all McIntosh amps. But they are just too expensive for my cheap a$$. Maybe when I have $4 millions. :D

I've been listening my 802D2 speakers. Awesome speakers and second to none IMO. And that's what it really comes down to, isn't it? Our opinions. :D

Not all speakers are for everyone regardless of price. Some people will never like B&W or 802D2, etc. Nothing new.

Just enjoy your awesome 802D2, SVS 13-Ultra, and McIntosh. :D
You're right. Our opinion is all that matters. Wether anyone likes them or not doesn't bother me. The problem I have is the personal attacks. Hey we can all agree to disagree, but there is no need for name calling. Wether he was drunk or not is irrelevant. I get drunk too but I don't insult anybody, I just order Mcintosh amps and then don't remember in the morning. :D The emailed receipt sure wakes my *** up. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You're right. Our opinion is all that matters. Wether anyone likes them or not doesn't bother me. The problem I have is the personal attacks. Hey we can all agree to disagree, but there is no need for name calling. Wether he was drunk or not is irrelevant. I get drunk too but I don't insult anybody, I just order Mcintosh amps and then don't remember in the morning. :D The emailed receipt sure wakes my *** up. :eek:
I still can't believe I actually bought all those things I bought. :eek:

Oh well, we only live once. We have sated our audio appetites. Now we just spread the love. :D

E

English210

Audioholic

There's also a better than 50/50 chance that he was drunk.
busy week, and missed a lot -drunken brawls, charity, and actual audio-talk...and that's just in this thread. :eek:

Oh, and I missed that I was right, too! Thanks Irvrobinson, it's rare, so I like to know when it happens :D I've wondered about those 'symetrical' setups, and read often people stressing the importance of equidistant-from-walls arrangements, and wondered, from a purely theoretical standpoint with no education in sound, if in fact that was correct, or likely to compund a problem.

E

English210

Audioholic
The advantage of keeping credit limits low - If I plugged in my card info on a $12K amp purchase, the gales of laughter from the server at the other end would wake me up while I was still drunk!! :D

I've seen the 'simmering' in his posts for a while, which is a shame, because this has been a great thread. I'm happy for you that your expenditures have had the desired effect FOR YOU, and if someone disagrees...well.....it's not their money you're spending anyway. He probably wouldn't like your Focals either :)

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
The advantage of keeping credit limits low - If I plugged in my card info on a $12K amp purchase, the gales of laughter from the server at the other end would wake me up while I was still drunk!! :D

I've seen the 'simmering' in his posts for a while, which is a shame, because this has been a great thread. I'm happy for you that your expenditures have had the desired effect FOR YOU, and if someone disagrees...well.....it's not their money you're spending anyway. He probably wouldn't like your Focals either :)
Been simmering enjoying my new system. :D Don't think i'll be making any audio purchases anytime soon (just bought the wife a minivan). Haven't slept since the baby was born, so been trying to sneak away for a couple of hours here and then. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Here they are!!!!! :D Please excuse the wires. Haven't had time to clean them up.
I love that picture, we need a final pic after the wires are all cleaned up, and put some metal outlet covers on them wall plates...

even if you just mde them black, and a gfi would be a good idea...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-N7599-E-125-Volt-SmartLock-Receptacle/dp/B0088XA3X0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391691657&sr=8-3&keywords=black+outlet
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-80401-NE-Wallplate-Standard-Thermoplastic/dp/B000U39W0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391691720&sr=8-1&keywords=black+outlet+covers

and someone better comment about the cable lifts since I have to hear it every time I post a pic, lol...

E

English210

Audioholic
Been simmering enjoying my new system. :D Don't think i'll be making any audio purchases anytime soon (just bought the wife a minivan). Haven't slept since the baby was born, so been trying to sneak away for a couple of hours here and then. :D
Ah, yes, newborns :eek: - as great as parenting is, Grandparenting is the BOMB!!! I'd have skipped parenting altogether if I'd have known how great!! Kids are great, but oh, the compromises they require.... :D

Enjoy, the family and the audio, and we'll await the updated pics ImcLoud mentioned, since you have SO much free time now... :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Life is good, huh?. New baby. New 802D2. New McIntosh. New van. :D

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Life is good, huh?. New baby. New 802D2. New McIntosh. New van. :D
I'll post pics of the finished system next week. Still finishing up a few things.

Life IS good. Not because of the 802, or the Mac or the minivan, but because the kids are healthy and "normal". :D Time will tell how much of my genes actually got passed down. This will determine their "normalness". :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll post pics of the finished system next week. Still finishing up a few things.

Life IS good. Not because of the 802, or the Mac or the minivan, but because the kids are healthy and "normal". :D Time will tell how much of my genes actually got passed down. This will determine their "normalness". :eek:
Healthy and happy is all a person can wish for.

What's "normal" these days? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis