Ocean Way Audio Montecito Loudspeaker Preview - BTW, they're $48k/pr

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Read the preview, let us know what you think!

$48/k is, no doubt, an extraordinary amount of money to spend on a pair of speakers. We like that the Montecitos don't try to reinvent the wheel. They claim to have a high quality cabinet with high quality parts, but you can get that for a lot less than $50/k.

Read our Ocean Way Audio Montecito High-Resolution Reference Loudspeaker Preview

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I think I'll spend the extra $2000 and get the Status Acoustics 8T. Ocean Way needs to take a look at the market place before slapping a sticker on a product.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
If I had $48K to spend on speakers I don't see these as being anywhere close to my top of the list, I would rather think like.....
- KEF Blades + some really really good subs, still way below $48K
- Second hand pair of Audio Physic Kronos :p
- Lansche model 5.1
- Vandersteen Seven :D
- Signature i93 - Signature - Loudspeakers - VAF Research + a very good vacation :p
A$ 14k in supreme Diamond black finish
How about this: 21Hz ~ 19kHz (±1.2dB), 17Hz -3dB, Phase Response ±5° (100Hz ~ 20kHz) :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They look like.....really......boxy.......speakers. :D

I don't want to say "monkey coffin" because that would just be disrespectful to people who like monkeys, like Alex. :D

These really boxy speakers might sound great, though.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They look interesting and I like the hardwood waveguide, but that performance doesn't justify that price and the overall bland look. There are other speakers out there that will deliver close to that response, albeit probably not at the levels of the Montecito by themselves, for fractions of the price. However, I agree with the others, that even if that price point were a possibility for me, there are quite a few other offerings between $15-50K that would seem much more appealing.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Would like to see these speakers measured.

Claiming up to 30KHz +/- 1.5db with aluminum tweeters is pretty bold, considering 1" aluminium tweeters usually start breaking up at 23KHz. That's the reason why NHT's three-ways use 3/4" aluminum tweeters as it pushes up the breakup mode to around 27KHz.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's going to make for a very expensive funeral. Do you have to get two?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis