Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wow John. That does not sound good. Is this something you developed or did you have an injury that caused this? Good luck on Friday.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The dilation takes longer than the surgery :( Nothing invasive and I drove home on my own last time. Will just be very sensitive to light for a day and it feels REALLY weird, like someone is squeezing your eyeball in quick pulses >shudder< Kind of like fast drum and bass inside my eye.

The first thing they asked was have you had any head trauma and I said no. Read on the web that trauma is a cause, but it can just be spontaneous as well, which is freaky. I had never even heard of it until last year when I had it in my right eye, except that it was common in boxers who have constant head trauma :eek: The bad part is, this time it is worse than the other eye and I didn't realize it. They asked if I've had flashing and I said no at first, but thought about it and read a description and I have been having that for quite a few weeks. It usually happens at night and is like someone is shining a flashlight in my eye while it is closed, typically when I am asleep; to the point where it wakes me up. I didn't think anything of it until they asked, so I was missing the signs. This week I got a brand new "floater" in that eye out of nowhere and they said that's a bad sign.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The dilation takes longer than the surgery :( Nothing invasive and I drove home on my own last time. Will just be very sensitive to light for a day and it feels REALLY weird, like someone is squeezing your eyeball in quick pulses >shudder< Kind of like fast drum and bass inside my eye.
Did the ophthalmologist call it a detached retina? If so, that can be serious. The good news is that the surgery works.

Both eyes within a year? Head trauma? Just how loud do you listen to music :rolleyes:?

Get it done today! And good luck!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did the ophthalmologist call it a detached retina? If so, that can be serious. The good news is that the surgery works.

Both eyes within a year? Head trauma? Just how loud do you listen to music :rolleyes:?

Get it done today! And good luck!
Yes, I saw the scan this time and there is a line along the entire edge of the retina, outside my field of vision, and she said that's where it is starting to detach. They said the flashing is caused by it starting to stretch and tear :eek: Surgery solved the issue on the other eye, so hopefully will be fine on this one as well.

I listen pretty loud, but not loud enough to knock an eye loose ;)

Interesting factoids I'm finding: Retinal tears occur in 7-10% of all people, but actual detachment affects only 1% of those people. Wonderful to be one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is it possible you sustained head trauma and don't remember. Have you had any memory issues or head aches lately?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is it possible you sustained head trauma and don't remember. Have you had any memory issues or head aches lately?
Not likely any unknown head trauma, though the woman said "Nothing other than me punching you in the head for snoring" (she was joking). I had a bad car accident but that was 11+ years ago. No headaches, standard memory issues lol. Reading up, it says it is caused by thinning of the retina and that's compounded with age, but for me to have it without being nearsighted is apparently extremely rare.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not likely any unknown head trauma, though the woman said "Nothing other than me punching you in the head for snoring" (she was joking). I had a bad car accident but that was 11+ years ago. No headaches, standard memory issues lol. Reading up, it says it is caused by thinning of the retina and that's compounded with age, but for me to have it without being nearsighted is apparently extremely rare.
IOTW you are special.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
They asked if I've had flashing
I got asked the same thing recently because something was going on in my eye ball. The good news is that now you and I have something special in common ... Who else could feel him cringe? :D

Seriously, I was asked that and told if I do see anything like that to not hesitate to get a hold of the eye guy. Good luck to us both.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I saw the scan this time and there is a line along the entire edge of the retina, outside my field of vision, and she said that's where it is starting to detach. They said the flashing is caused by it starting to stretch and tear :eek: Surgery solved the issue on the other eye, so hopefully will be fine on this one as well.

I listen pretty loud, but not loud enough to knock an eye loose ;)

Interesting factoids I'm finding: Retinal tears occur in 7-10% of all people, but actual detachment affects only 1% of those people. Wonderful to be one of the lucky ones.

Good luck with surgery John.

Do you happen to stifle your sneezes?
A friend of mine does, and ended up with a detached retina.
The surgeon told him that was the cause for his issue.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
John, could this have happened when you got hit in the eye with a shell casing a while back?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What's really great is that medical care has progressed far enough that doctors are proficient enough at this stuff to be able to successfully treat these issues. I'm out of work today to get my knee checked out. It would be nice to be able to just go get an MRI without seeing a doctor first but at least it's only a day's pay down the toilet. My Dynamic Duo has seen to it that I was able to get enough work in this year to get health insurance.

For those of you in the Bush states, take note: This is how.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
What's really great is that medical care has progressed far enough that doctors are proficient enough at this stuff to be able to successfully treat these issues. I'm out of work today to get my knee checked out. It would be nice to be able to just go get an MRI without seeing a doctor first but at least it's only a day's pay down the toilet. My Dynamic Duo has seen to it that I was able to get enough work in this year to get health insurance.

For those of you in the Bush states, take note: This is how.

Are those full bush states or trimmed? I hear young people don't favor the bush, but they could just be hearsay.

Oh yeah we got our first sticking winter precip today! 996081_10100750031043824_1902682187_n.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Surgery didn't happen after all. Doc said my eye has issues for sure - abnormal pigmentation/spotting, lattice, small tears, but the retina is still attached, so nothing they can "fix" yet. Have to go back in Jan. No strenuous activity for 6 weeks :(

I got asked the same thing recently because something was going on in my eye ball. The good news is that now you and I have something special in common ... Who else could feel him cringe? :D

Seriously, I was asked that and told if I do see anything like that to not hesitate to get a hold of the eye guy. Good luck to us both.
Yeah, so doc was saying "Nothing serious at the moment, but if you start to see shadows in your field of vision come in immediately because you have about 48hrs before the damage is irreversible." Um, that sounds pretty serious to me...but obviously that isn't an issue right now.

Good luck with surgery John.

Do you happen to stifle your sneezes?
A friend of mine does, and ended up with a detached retina.
The surgeon told him that was the cause for his issue.
I cover up, but I don't stifle them, though I do tend to blow my nose pretty hard. Haven't had any nasal issues recently that I would link to this though. Doc basically said it is likely age related, but I have had some other recent issues that all seem to be linked and now have to check with my primary doctor to see if that's what it is. The eye issue research lead me to another disorder that retina issues are directly related to and there's no cure, only treatment. Thankfully it is mainly just a nuisance kind of thing and nothing that will presumably shorten my life and I've had it for most of my life already. I just didn't know what it was; likely it has more of an impact as I get older though.

John, could this have happened when you got hit in the eye with a shell casing a while back?
That was the other eye and it wasn't really an impact, it just happened to land on top of my shooting glasses :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis