ZVOX IncrediBase 575

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
The first time I won an audio-related prize, I won a portable CD player and the complete Dire Straits collection on CD - this was in 1987.

Now, in 2010, I have one another audio prize! The ZVOX Incredibase 575. For now I'm going to post some pictures with some comments, I'll write up some impressions and post them later. The short version: 1. Tom's Audioholics review is pretty spot on. 2. I'm keeping it, not selling it. But more on that later. Now, for pics.

For reference, that's a Panasonic 42inch Plasma in the pictures.

I'm including the above picture just to make clear you aren't getting some puny little "sound bar" if you get the ZVOX 575. I knew the measurements before it arrived, but it's still a bit startling to see the box.

The above two pictures show what the box looked like when opened, and everything that's included. The box itself had some impressive looking gouges courtesy of UPS, but the unit itself was in perfect condition.

You get the ZVOX speaker unit itself, a power cord, stereo RCA cables, a remote w/batteries, and the instructions. There is really only a single page of instructions: the rest is decorative, or safety info, or warranty info.

And the final two images are of the ZVOX set up - (with my Wharfedale bookshelf speakers still in place, as well).

That's it for now...I'll try to get a proper "review" up in a few days.

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
Congrats! Looking forward to a review.

I was wondering if/when the winners would be announced...? (not that I think I'm still in the running...)

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
This is ancient history, but I thought I'd follow up on this. Real life got in the way back when I first posted this, and it got pretty darn sidetracked.

Yes, the review I linked to is still pretty much spot on. A few comments of my own:

1. Yes, this is a compromise. If you're a no-compromise sort of listener, look elsewhere. But as far as compromises go, this is pretty damn good.
2. If you're looking for the equivalent of a full-blown 5.1 system, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for something along the lines of a nearly full-range 2.0 system, you'll be impressed - this gets you a wide soundstage (not QUITE surround, although you'll get things waayyy off to the left and right sometimes) and quite deep bass. Not full blown subwoofer bass, but very good bass extension nonetheless. There are times where the ZVOX really shakes my small NYC apt. space.
3. For a situation where a subwoofer and lots of speakers is not a great option (like my New York City apartment dweller situation), this is a pretty darn sweet alternative.
4. There are times when certian male vocals are not all that intelligible for some reason. Presumably there is a recessed mid-bass region in the output, although perhaps this is peculiar to my space.
5. The highest 1 or 2 phase settings for the widest soundstage are not really usable in my experience. They sound subjectively louder and brighter to me, and the highest setting is pretty weird sounding.

Given that I found that I was doing most of my serious listening on headphones, I decided to keep the ZVOX as my main home theater speaker...

...but...

...since I already had Wharfedale bookshelf speakers and a reciever, I had the idea of moving the speakers to the sides of my living room area (where they were, actually, more out of the way than they were up front) and set up a 4.0 surround system. While this may seem to defeat the purpose of the ZVOX, in my case it's worked out well, and getting the ZVOX to perform as pretty impressive stereo pair (wide soundstage and great bass extension) is probably a better use than trying to fake true surround. I've been very happy with this strange setup as a home theater setup, and it sounds pretty decent for music as well, and it turns out I like Dolby PLII processed music much more than I anticipated.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Yes, the review I linked to is still pretty much spot on.
I should note one way in which the review isn't spot on anymore - the price on these has come down substantially - from $699 down to $549, and it's even on sale for $449 as I speak. Still not for everyone, perhaps, but that sweetens the deal considerably.

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I just recently found out about this product, as my spouse and I are looking for a soundbar for our bedroom.
It amazes me that there are a lot of them coming to the market and as I attempt to do a search on 'soundbars' more and more seem to be found on Google :) .

These ZVOX seem to be pretty interesting. As we all know that a true 5.1 or a 7.1 cannont be beat, but this option of for someone like the OP where he has either a small area to make sound and not annoy the neighbors, or like us; Which we're trying to not have many speakers in a bedroom setup :). Yea I know about inwalls, but not really WAF for a bedroom ;)

I thank you for sharing these pics and I hope to one-day hear some ZVOX in the near future.

Cheers

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
zvox

You get a 30 day trial period with zvox units. I own two (the 325 and the mini); both sound remarkably good. I use them for music (the 325 in my office at work, the mini in the kitchen attached to a SB Touch and a Sangean WR 11radio). They warrantied my power supply even though it was a few weeks past the warranty period (very cool). And a real person who knows the products will answer any questions you may have.

B

bluegrassbubba

Enthusiast
Has anyone got a universal remote to work with one of the Zvox units, I bought the 580 and cant get the DirecTV remote to work with it, and I have tried the instructions on the Zvox site, still didn't work, thinking of trying another remote?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis