Zone 3 Garage, looking for ideas

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Here are some pics of my new garage/shop.

It's 16 ft wide by 48 ft long. The stuff in the pics is the previous owners so picture it without all that crap. I'll be installing a sauna in the corner with the shelves and tools (back corner)...

I've decided to run a Zone 3 out from my RX-V1500 to the garage, and run my behringer A500's into the Yamaha S115V mains (maybe daisy chain the S15e's on top).

Do I want to go as wide as possible? Or should I try ceiling mounting the buggers somewhere in the middle of the room? I'm not looking for perfect acoustics (it's a garage after all), i just want to make the most out of the situation. :D

View attachment 6435

View attachment 6436

View attachment 6437

View attachment 6438

Also, I'm looking forward to my computer room being setup as a Zone 2. I'll use the internal amp in the RX-V1500 (or my spare Denon POA-5200) to power my pair of Yamaha S55 nearfield monitors. These should be killer in the smaller computer room (9x14)...

It'll be nice to finally get to use some of the features I bought the 1500 for! :cool:

Last edited:
PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
Looks like a morgue with those double doors and flourescent lights:p. Anything you do will be better than how it looks now. Unless your looking to go hard core theater, I think ceiling speakers is a great idea. Of course I would love a garage that size for all my lawn gear and tools too.:D

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Looks like a morgue with those double doors and flourescent lights:p. Anything you do will be better than how it looks now. Unless your looking to go hard core theater, I think ceiling speakers is a great idea. Of course I would love a garage that size for all my lawn gear and tools too.:D
:p

Yeah it certainly isn't wife friendly looking in there... but I've got to fit my project car and a few other things in there (maybe my pool table and dart board).

What I'm wondering is, where should I place 2 pro-audio stacks to get the best acoustics over the entire area of the garage. (assuming I can't use the area by the garage door, my truck has to go there, can't use the area in the back corner, sauna's going there... :D)

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
Without acoustic treatments you could just about place them anywhere. Treatments are easy to construct and would be a wise move for an area that big. I made my own for my home theater, and in the process of making more for a buddy of mine. I would just experiment on placement of them after you get your sauna put in and anything else that you would consider "fixed" in place.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Without acoustic treatments you could just about place them anywhere. Treatments are easy to construct and would be a wise move for an area that big. I made my own for my home theater, and in the process of making more for a buddy of mine. I would just experiment on placement of them after you get your sauna put in and anything else that you would consider "fixed" in place.
I may end up having to do this. I was hoping to get a general idea because I'm running RCA's through a conduit to the house to my main receiver, and the leads to my speakers are only 25 ft or so, so not a huge amount of room to play.

I guess it doesn't really matter. If I setup the room lengthwise, I'll be getting first reflections of the side walls pretty bad. If I set it up wide, I'll be getting first reflections off the back wall (opposite the speakers) pretty bad.

Not sure I'm going to go as far as acoustical treatments in here! :D It's just a high powered garage setup, and I'm wanting to avoid reflections, nodes, standing waves, etc. as much as possible.

Maybe in the centre of the room, on opposite ends of the garage, facing in, mounted up near the ceiling would be decent???

AH CRAP, I'LL JUST HAVE TO F* AROUND WITH IT WHEN I GET THERE!

To be honest, I'm 3500km from home working for a while, and I'm so exited about getting my first house that I can't sit still, so I'm trying to plan out everything to do with the stereo stuff. :D Before I move anything in I'm going to go and pre-wire everything in my living room, so I can put in the proper boxes, and then mud around them, and repaint the whole room. It's too light in the living room right now so I'm going with some sort of red wine colour or something. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis