highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Last year a bunch of us went & saw the Zappa plays Zappa show,the tour is comming to Detroit Michigan again next week & im going again,as a lifelong FZ fan i strongly reccomend that any Zappa fans run to see this show if ithe tour comes near them,ive saw FZ several times before he died & the show that Dweezil puts on is easily as good as anything Frank ever did,in some respects the Zappa plays Zappa show is better than the concerts Frank did,with Dweezil leading the band they stick more to the music & stay away from the long drawn out droning interludes that Frank was prone to.

Ive included a few links to show tour dates & a link with some sample video from last years show.

If you've never seen the Zappa band & are a fan of fusion this show is a must see.

http://www.zappa.com/zpz/tourdates.html

Check out The Torture Never Stops,my all time favorite Zappa song.
http://www.zappa.com/zpz/videos.html

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Wow i feel like a geezer,not alot of zappa fans on this site.

Anyhow im going to tonights show as long as its not rained out,Last years guest drummer (Terry Bozzio) wont be there this year due to touring with Korn on the same weekend & im not sure weather Steve Vai will be attending as a guest or not,the good news is that long time Zappa guitarist Ray white will be on the entire tour,hopefully he'll play The Illinois Ennema Bandit which is one of my wife & I's favorites:D

Notice a young Chad Wackerman on the drums wearing the gayest looking sunglasses on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlpjAuHSlr8

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I got caught up going through the site after you posted and I forgot to respond and thankyou for the links.

It brought back many fuzzy memories. I had a couple of friends that where huge Zappa fans when I was in college but I only own a couple of disks.

Anyway enjoy the show and let us know how it was.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Went to the show last night & had a he!! of a time until we went to the t-shirt booth,the sea hag at the t-shirt booth was outta control & drunk with power,this hag was the typical upper middle class housewife who worked at the venue to make herself feel better & did not need the money,it was easy to see.

Anyhow more about the sea hag,while in line we watched this compilation of dozens of facelifts give a snotty attitude to a ton of people, at one point she yanked a t-shirt out of a girls hand & told her to leave,she then freaked out on a guy who was smoking a cigar near the booth,this was my call:D,i promptly light up a smoke & went directly to the window next to hers,while i was looking at t-shirts & hoodies she freaked out again & tried to start yelling at me about smoking,i let her old a$$ have it & informed her that i was smoking in a desiganet smoking area & if she didnt like it to go get a cop which she promptly did,the cop comes over & asks me to put it out,i tell him i wont because im in a designated smoking area & im following the rules of the arena & showed him the brochure i had listing the smoking areas,along comes a crowd control supervisor & tells the cop im not breaking any rules & tells the sea hag to deal with it,before i left the t-shirt stand i made sure to tell the sea hag how lucky she was that FZ wasnt alive because he'd of made a public spectical outta her for treating customers like dogs, he would of too.

The show was fantastic,the band played some enormously hard compositions but what really blew me away was that they had adapted songs from the album Jazz From He!! & played them live,to understand how gigantic a feat this was one must understand that the score of Jazz From Hell was never intended to be played on instruments,the album is composed with the exception of a single song entirely of tracks from a Synclavier,according to Franks writings he chose to do Jazz From Hell entirely on the Synclavier due to its ability to reproduce notes in an order that humans are incapable of doing,to hear The G-Spot Tornado live was nothing short of amazing & something i wil always remember.

Dweezil Zappa,lead guitar,conductor & vocals.

Dweezil's playing was world class,gone is the style he used to have that sounded like Steve Vai where he had to play 1,000 miles an hour,the new style is more gritty & concentrated on conveying feeling,much like his fathers style of putting together abnormal & complicated solo structures that are unique to the guitar,Dweezil has very fast fingers,he always has but in the last few years ive seen him go from sheer speed to speed with feeling & its a huge leap,Dweezil is destined to be one of the guitar greats before his life is over.

At several points in the show a massive progection screen is lowered & video of the MTV halloween Zappa concert from the 80's is on the screen,all the music from the concert is cut out except for Frank's vocals & guitar playing while the band on stage plays the parts that were dubbed out,durring these video interludes the band watches the screen while playing & there is rarely a dry eye on stage or in the audience,its creepy as all get out to see a 5 story Frank Zappa playing on the screen while his son is on stage,its creepy but awesome & makes the audience realize that Frank's style can never be 100% replicated by any other player,after these video interludes the standing ovation is endless & ear peircing & makes Dweezil shed tears every time.

This year Dweezil stepped more foward & took a more active approach to leading & conducting the band in improvisational jams,at several points in the show he would direct seperate band members to deliever something unique to fit the moment,this activity could have been rehearsed but from the look on the other band members faces & the expressions that Dweezil would give the players its more likely than not that this was spontainous as Frank would of done it.

The guest singer/guitar player was Ray white,what an unbelievable talent this cat is,he played with Frank on many tours & on many albums so it was nice to see & hear him again,he played a few songs with the band & traded licks with Dweezil which was sweet but his vocals are what really shined,when he sang The Illinois Ennma Bandit he had the entire crowd to their feet,he also did some favorites from Joes Garage which was cool too,listening to Ray sing was like being teleported by one of Machina Dynamica's teleportation tweeks all the way back to 1970,all that was missing was the smell of pot & i'd of thought i was at The Masonic temple in 1972 all over again.

Sheila Gonzales,woodwinds,vocals & keyboards.

Good god what a talent this girl is,last year they had her way in the back but they brought her up to the front left this year & rightly so,this girls talent is borderline on obscene,she would be at home playing with the likes of people like John Mcgulaghlin or George Duke,she's that damm good,this year she took over the job of delevering all the silly lil back ground voices(I wanna wanna wanna enema a a a ) that are customary to Zappa music & its easy to see she loves it.

This girl is a one man band playing the crap out of her keyboards & soloing on the flute,sax or harmonica at the same time,to top it off what she was playing was very complex,all the time quickly changing what woodwind she was playing & never missing a lick.

Joe Travers,Drums.

Its nice to see that guy do some real drumming again,not what i'd consider one of the top 10 drummers but a great talent no doubt,after he joined Duran Duran i thought it was over for him,he didnt do anything far out in the way of crazy drum solo's but his playing was spot on & extremely tight.

Arron Arntz,keyboards,last year he was a solid ball of fire taking center stage above Sheila Gonzales,this year he took a less visible role & served more as back up keyboards,nothing amazing from Arron with the exception of a massive solo but good solid playing all night.

Pete Griffin.Bass.

This kid is another boy wonder on bass,every bass player that was ever in Franks bands was a world class player,they needed to be & this kid is no exception,he went to several music schools to learn bass but his real talent comes from the teachings of Pat Metheny bass player Steve Rodby who took him under his wing & showed him how to achive style over speed.

The result is that this kid's playing is near flawless,he can be all over the place & still not be overbearing,he did a solo that reminded me very much of a young Stanley Clarke & then he toned it down & went back to playing with style,making the notes he played count.

Billy Hulting,percussion,marimba & mallets.

Billy is an entertainer extrodinare who puts an absolute beating on anything he plays,years back when i saw Frank his percussionest was Juliard trained percussionest Ruth Underwood & Billy's playing easily kept up with anything i saw Ruth do,Billy played a full percussion set along with Xylophones & Marimba Vibes,switching from 2 mallets to 4 mallets to 8 mallets at the speed of light,to call Billy's playing complex is an understatement,what amazed me the most about Billy's playing was his lack of sheet music,he must have a phenominal memory to keep it all straight,i have never seen any Zappa percussionest be able to play the complex passages in the music without the aid of sheet music but Billy did the entire show from memory,to see this cat wail on so many different instruments at one time all over the scale with no sheet music blew my drawers off to no end.

Jamie Kimi,rythm guitar,nothing special in the way of crazy stunt guitar but a good solid player all night long,at one point Durring the song Dupree's Paradise which is a long time improv song of Franks Jamie had a killer solo but it was short & sweet.

Dweezil choose the song Dupree's Paradise for the secret word for the day,the secret word was a long time Zappa gimmik where he would pick a member from the audience then have them make up any word or sentence & the band would build their vocals around that sentence,at this show the secret word was the sentence (I EAT P...Y) for the sake of arguement lets call it i eat apples.This was a very fun song for the audience & the band especially Sheila the female in the band.

All in all this was an outstanding show full of very intricate compositions being played by a group of well rehearsed musicians,this was not the average rock show where sheer volume & crowd stimulation was the goal,the goal in these shows was to play the music as accurately as possible keeping true to Franks writings & the band did an exceptional job of it,

I highly reccomend this tour or last years tour video to anybody who likes Fusion jazz or complicated music,there is so much more to FZ than silly songs like Dont Eat The Yellow Snow or Dynamo Hum that most people know him for & this band is keeping the compositions alive.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wow thanks for that comprehensive review of the show. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Too bad about the hag giving you crap.

I don't think many people recognize Franks contribution to modern music and the level of talent that guy had.

It is great to see that Dweezil has picked up the torch.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Wow thanks for that comprehensive review of the show. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Too bad about the hag giving you crap.

I don't think many people recognize Franks contribution to modern music and the level of talent that guy had.

It is great to see that Dweezil has picked up the torch.
No sweat mate,im still stoked about last nights show.

Your right about most people not being able to see through the silly songs & see the real talent that frank had.

Case in point is my 15 year old son who loves rap music,and i call it music lightly,he has heard FZ music since he was a baby & never gave it a seconds thought,we took him to the show with us last night & it blew his mind,were talking about a kid who has seen a bunch of live rap shows & in his own words" i cant believe how much is going on with the musicians" in order to make this music happen.

I think that the lack of real musicians in these rap groups has alot of kids confused about what real musicial talent is,they see 3 or 4 guys leaping around the stage like chimps to the beat of some boob on the back stage with two turntables & a microphone & being that they've never been exposed to real compositions being played live they think rap is music.

My son is still freaking out at how much skill it takes now that he has seen a complex show in person & he has made comments that there is no comparison to any of the rap crap shows he has seen,the comments he has made to me & my wife have made our minds up,we will invite our children to every concert we go see in order to expose them 1st hand to real musicians so they will know the difference between music & sampeling & rapping.

Before anybody gives me the big speech about rap being just another form of music & that all older generations hate the younger generations music you can save your breath,i hate rap & im glad my son who loves rap has seen the difference & it has him thinking.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey HH,
It sounds fantastic! Wish I could've gone. The hell with the hag, it just takes one numbnut to ruin a concert.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Great review, HFH. Thanks.

I'll have to break out my Zappa and get reacquainted. It has been years.......

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Hey HH,
It sounds fantastic! Wish I could've gone. The hell with the hag, it just takes one numbnut to ruin a concert.
Man strat i wiss you guy's coulda seen this turkey neck,she was completely outta control,my wife called it drunk with power:D

At one point she was screaming at the top of her lungs at the guy with the cigar,she kept screaming "I dont have to smell that thing,put it out RIGHT NOWWWWWWW!!!!".

Then the poor girl with the t-shirt,i thought she was gonna fly through the window & attack her,she screamed at her "Give me that!!! you've looked long enough" then snatched it from her hands:confused:WTF.My son & I were laughin our a$$es off & my wife just kept saying what a horrible woman.

Im patiently waiting on the tour dvd of last years show to come out,last year Steve Vai did some unbelievable stunt guitar that worked real well that i'd love to see again,usually i dont care for Vai's style when he's on his own or with G-3,it seems that he's always going for speed at the expense of any melody or rythm but with the Zappa songs he kept with the songs instead of going way out in left feild.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Great review, HFH. Thanks.

I'll have to break out my Zappa and get reacquainted. It has been years.......
Hey RJ, ive been dying to listen to any music since we've moved into the new house,the rig is all set up but no music:mad: My friend who is an electrician is supposed to come by & hook me up two 20 amp lines for my amp's but he's been working 7 days a week so im still waiting,the b!tch is that where i have the amps set up there is no wall outlet at all & its killing me.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Great review. Awesome really.;) I hope they come close to Cocoa (which has become a rain forrest with pouring rain everyday for a month).

It should be easy to see that the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I have never really heard any of Frank's music, but after listening to an interview the other day with Dweezil about this concert I would like to see it and hear more of Frank's music. I hope it makes to DVD.

O

ogewo

Audiophyte
Some good video clips of last years show finally made it to you tube,the video of last years tour is comming soon,i hope.
Thanks for the links mate! Hopefully these will convince me that I have to go to see a show for myself.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I have never really heard any of Frank's music, but after listening to an interview the other day with Dweezil about this concert I would like to see it and hear more of Frank's music. I hope it makes to DVD.
Hi jeff,for just about as long as i can remember ive been fascinated by the works of two composers,one obviously being Frank Zappa & the other being Miles Davis,i just wish Miles had done more.

Anyhow here is the best footage ive found so far that shows how versatile his compositions were & is a fantastic compilation of his varoius works ranging from classical,rock,fusion jazz to modern classical,the guy was a tremendously talented composer as well as musician.

If ya have a little time to kill check out a few of the links,ive posted them in order so you can watch the entire show without searching youtube,hopefully you will enjoy them as much as i do.

Part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znLHXVFYoRM&mode=related&search=

Part 2 A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6h9RmAim4&mode=related&search=

Part 2 B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwuTAjzblQ&mode=related&search=

Part 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-V007bigQA&mode=related&search=

Part 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZK97lw0CmM&mode=related&search=

Part 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYQNVrs35g&mode=related&search=

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Thanks, I will check it out.

Hi jeff,for just about as long as i can remember ive been fascinated by the works of two composers,one obviously being Frank Zappa & the other being Miles Davis,i just wish Miles had done more.

Anyhow here is the best footage ive found so far that shows how versatile his compositions were & is a fantastic compilation of his varoius works ranging from classical,rock,fusion jazz to modern classical,the guy was a tremendously talented composer as well as musician.

If ya have a little time to kill check out a few of the links,ive posted them in order so you can watch the entire show without searching youtube,hopefully you will enjoy them as much as i do.

Part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znLHXVFYoRM&mode=related&search=

Part 2 A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6h9RmAim4&mode=related&search=

Part 2 B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwuTAjzblQ&mode=related&search=

Part 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-V007bigQA&mode=related&search=

Part 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZK97lw0CmM&mode=related&search=

Part 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYQNVrs35g&mode=related&search=