YSP-1000 connecting to an a/v receiver, Polk Surroundbar

B

brad_t

Audiophyte
I think I may already have blown an order for the YSP-1000. I had assumed that it could be flexibly set-up in conjunction with an A/V receiver (have just received a high end one w/ iPod, XM, HDMI, THX2 etc.) I was also looking for a 1-box solution (wife dislikes clutter :rolleyes: ) + subwoofer for my sound.

(1) is it possible to use the YSP-1000 w/ an A/V receiver without conflict? :confused:
Or, if not, then
(2) would the Polk Surroundbar be an option (and 50% of the YSP-1000's heftier list price to boot)

I had gone to Yamaha's site and nothing in the FAQ on this issue :mad: No FAQ for the YSP-1000 nor hook-up options detailed, and the YSP-1 FAQ also no help:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_faq.htm

Yamaha needs to make this issue clearer on their site, ie clearly state that it is either possible to use the YSP-1000 in conjunction/tandem w/ an A/V receiver or that it will NOT work, then the buyer who desires such flexibility needs to look elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance for helping me decide whether I need to return the YSP-1000 before I crack the box.

Cheers, Brad

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha sound projector

The yamaha sound projectors are designed as a one component audio solution. You connect digital or analog audio sources directly to the Yamha YSP-1000. You will need a sub for the low frequencies but not a receiver. The Yamaha will do a good job of simulating 5.0 speakers in a square room but will not perform as well as a mid level receiver and good 5.1 speaker setup. I have not heard anything about the polk you list, but the Yamaha YSP is the only product of this type that Audioholics recommends and has given good reviews. The way are see it, you have a couple options.

Option 1: Return the receiver and use the YSP-1000 as an all in one solution.

Option 2: Return the YSP and purchase a $1K+ 5.0 speaker system from Axiom audio (or others) and a $500+ subwoofer from SVS or HSU.
Since looks are also a factor, you might consider on-wall or in-wall type speakers for the fronts.

B

brad_t

Audiophyte
Many thanks for the reply

That's what I had surmised. Will have to deliberate about which option is the best route to go :rolleyes: - many thanks for the info.

-- Brad

R

rov

Audiophyte
brad_t said:
That's what I had surmised. Will have to deliberate about which option is the best route to go :rolleyes: - many thanks for the info.

-- Brad
Brad - I'm in a similar situation as you are. Due to space constraints, curious little kids who won't be able to keep their hands off the speakers, etc., I'm looking for a simple speaker setup that still gives some surround sound. The YSP seems like the perfect answer, but I've been struggling with how to hook it into the rest of the system. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- The YSP acts as the amp, sound processor, and speaker(s), all rolled into one box. Which means the audio inputs should go directly into the YSP.

- However, video signals from DVD, VCR, game box, cable box, etc. should go to the a/v receiver so the receiver can handle the switching. With the audio signals going to the YSP, switching video with the a/v receiver would mean the audio would have to be switched separately (I think), which is a hassle.

- But, I think the audio could be routed through the receiver and passed to the YSP, enabling video and audio switching in the receiver. Since the YSP does all the sound processing, you wouldn't be using the receiver's processor or amp. It's basically just a giant switch with an AM/FM tuner.

My setup is (or will be when I get the rest of the gear) a Samsung LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V657 receiver, the YSP-800, and probably Sony or Toshiba DVD/VCR player. I don't have cable or game boxes. I think I can set up the system with all video and audio inputs going into the receiver, and either DVI or component video out to the TV. The audio would go via coax or digital optical cable to the YSP. I think the receiver should be set up for direct audio (no processing), so that the YSP can do its thing.

I'll admit this is all just theory at this point, since I only have the TV so far.:)

--rov

R

Raptor

Audiophyte
YSP-800 connection

rov - I just found your response and am hopeful you can shed light on this for me. I am using a YSP-800 as the only processor together with a Comcast DVR box and a Sony Plasma HDTV. However, when I tried to go analog audio from DVR to TV and optical audio out from TV to YSP - nothing. I then connected the DVR to the YSP using optic cable and connected a Yamaha sub-woofer to the YSP. The DVR video signal is HDMI to the TV (direct, not through the YSP, since the cable box is the primary control). The DVD player is connected using composite audio/video. I use a Logitech Harmony remote (great product, incidentally) to control everything.

Problem is that I can't get the TV speakers to work, even with an analog audio from DVR to TV or YSP to TV. Do you have any thoughts on this? Sure would like some help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis