F

FramerPDX

Enthusiast
can someone tell a newbie what this is thanks...

" YPAO "

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
It's actually on some of the HTR receivers also. The 5860 and 5890.

F

FramerPDX

Enthusiast
yeah that is what I thought thanks...

I am loving mine so far...

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
how much manual adjustment is available with ypao? or does it differ from model to model?

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
I should add that the ypao on the 5860 is a watered down version.

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
newfmp3 said:
how much manual adjustment is available with ypao? or does it differ from model to model?

It's a very valuable feature.

Although, it's not perfect, I still go into the manual mode and tweek after I use YPAO, but it's awesome as far as a starting point.

I can't imagine how much time and headaches there would be without it, actually.

It does a fantastic job setting up EQ, speaker size/distance/level, and detecting what you actually have hooked up.

As far as manual set-up goes, you have full customization there, and you can use the Auto-setup and then go into Manual setup to tinker with levels, distance, etc., everything you could do if you didn't have YPAO ( I find for me it sets the speaker distance farther than they actually are, and the surround L/R speakers are a bit on the subtle side)

So really there's no reason not to want this feature. The mic should be placed at ear level in the postion of the room that you would be listening (don't worry about the wife :D ) and can even be tripod mounted.

But yeah, from my experience, I would really label it "invaluable", honestly.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Since Ypao has been explained, other companies have their own name for this as well. Take Pioneer, it is called MCACC.

Which is for Automatic Calibration.

M

mervin50

Audiophyte
i do agree,in the past it was a pain setting up a home theater amp,however how good and acurate the 'ypao' mic is,it does not have ears.!after setup i normally go back in manual mode and assign the main l/r speakers to small,bass to the sub and crossover point to 80hz (thx),all the other speakers also get the small setting.i found this way the bass is nice and deep and the rest of the speakers can go on with their job.

M

mervin50

Audiophyte
yes,it does differ from model to model,eg.i recently setup a Yamaha RX-V1400 THX Receiver with the setup mic.i must agree i was amazed with how much in detail the setup procedure was,ypao or manual tuning.but i was completely horrified to see how little detail was spared setting up a Yamaha RX-V650 with ypao

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
I was looking through the manual, and it's kind of vague as to what it allows you to and not adjust, but I think if I'm reading it right, and the previous posters comments it should do what I want. I don't care about automatic this and that. to me it's pretty elementary to set distances for speakers, set cross over freq's and so forth. The thing I'm really interested in is the ability to adjust the freq. for bass/mids/treble to suit my ear/room. People can go on and on about room treatments this and that, but a good EQ can be very effective in the right hands. Besides, it's a lot cheaper and easier to adjust a eq you already have then to remodel your room for more bass.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
YPAO is automatic only and parametric. The manual choice is for a fixed 1/3-octave graphic equalizer. Choose one or the other. No mix or match.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis