YPAO setting on the Yamaha RX-3800, confused.

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
I have a question regarding about the YPAO on the Yamaha RX-V3800. After using the automatic YPAO setting, I came around and messed with the Parametric EQ in the Manual setting. Would this overwrite the the YPAO setting and make the YPAO useless? Or I can use the YPAO and then go to Manual setting to adjust more on the EQ? If you must use either one YPAO or Manual setting, what is the recommend Fre/Band/Q settings? Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I believe that the manual settings are just your own adjustments to what the YPAO algorithm set. So, you are modifying it, but you aren't making it useless.

As far as recommended values, those are totally dependent on your system and your room. That's the value in those auto set-up routines - they characterize the unique combination of your equipment and room and then they set up the receivers accordingly.

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
I believe that the manual settings are just your own adjustments to what the YPAO algorithm set. So, you are modifying it, but you aren't making it useless.

As far as recommended values, those are totally dependent on your system and your room. That's the value in those auto set-up routines - they characterize the unique combination of your equipment and room and then they set up the receivers accordingly.
Thanks Adamm you are amazing fast. I used to mess with the stand alone EQ, this EQ from the 3800 is so confusing. My room is 25 X 16 X 8 feet High, what the recommend EQ should be after setting YPAO? I know this should be my references but I need input. Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Sorry to say, but I don't have any recommended settings. I was trying to say that they are unique to your equipment and room. Others may have suggestions, though.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
As Adam said the results will be unique to your set-up.
I'd suggest running the full YPAO at the flat or natural setting and leaving the EQ setting alone. The speaker sizes may need to be changed. (all speakers to small, LFE sub only) and the distances may need to be adjusted as well.
Changing these setting does not make the YPAO useless.
As an alternative you can also use the GEQ insead of YPAO's PEQ to set to your liking and toggle between the two. Myself, I lack the golden ear required and have had better luck with the PEQ.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I agree,

As Adam said the results will be unique to your set-up.
I'd suggest running the full YPAO at the flat or natural setting and leaving the EQ setting alone. The speaker sizes may need to be changed. (all speakers to small, LFE sub only) and the distances may need to be adjusted as well.
Changing these setting does not make the YPAO useless.
As an alternative you can also use the GEQ insead of YPAO's PEQ to set to your liking and toggle between the two. Myself, I lack the golden ear required and have had better luck with the PEQ.
having toggled between the two myself, I much preferred the PEQ setting established by the YPAO.

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
thanks to all,

I did the YPAO, and I noticed when YPAO is set and left alone, there is a YPAO logo on the display. But when messed with the EQ, the YPAO logo disappeared. Noting that when messing with EQ, YPAO is no longer in active. I just hope is not true. As I remembered, I used to set my stand alone EQ as V shape. Where 1KHZ is the lowest point below flat and the rest go up like a V (upside down piramid). I guess i need to learn more about frequency and mess with this thing. Thank you once again.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
thanks to all,

I did the YPAO, and I noticed when YPAO is set and left alone, there is a YPAO logo on the display. But when messed with the EQ, the YPAO logo disappeared. Noting that when messing with EQ, YPAO is no longer in active. I just hope is not true. As I remembered, I used to set my stand alone EQ as V shape. Where 1KHZ is the lowest point below flat and the rest go up like a V (upside down piramid). I guess i need to learn more about frequency and mess with this thing. Thank you once again.
I believe that the logo lights up only if you keep the initial setting after you run YPAO. If you've adjusted your speakers, crossover or distance that would cause the light to go off but wouldn't effect any of your prior EQ setting. As for what shape is best suited for a proper EQ, I could never figure it out myself and that is why I prefer the PEQ rather than the GEQ mode:eek:.

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
I believe that the logo lights up only if you keep the initial setting after you run YPAO. If you've adjusted your speakers, crossover or distance that would cause the light to go off but wouldn't effect any of your prior EQ setting. As for what shape is best suited for a proper EQ, I could never figure it out myself and that is why I prefer the PEQ rather than the GEQ mode:eek:.
PEQ stands for Parametric EQ, GEQ is for the gain right? There are 3 mode of settings in the V3800, Frequency, Gain and Band. Is there any good resources that I can learn this from? Thanks again.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
running YPAO, the indicator, and stuff

I've got a RX-V1800 and have experimented with all of this stuff before. There is a dedicated RX-V1800/RX-V3800 thread in AVSforum under receivers section. Take a read thru this and you'll learn lots.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Intepreting their manual requires 50% luck, 50% legal speak. :D

YPAO

I've ran it thru full automatic mode to see how it would set my front speakers. It set them to large. The distances were smack on except for the subwoofer which says is 6.5' feet away. Its at best only 2' from the couch. So I got thinking ...if YPAO does its eq setting (if selected...I chose flat response) based on speaker size, I better set the speaker sizes (mains to small) first and rerun YPAO again. This is the setup I saved and is my working YPAO. So what I'm saying is...if you have any speakers capabable of 50 Hz or so, set them to small first and uncheck speaker size before running YPAO espsically if your chosing an EQ setting.

Now if you monkey around with the settings, the YPAO indicator light will go off. If you go into the menu and choose to turn of the PEQ settings, then you've effectively turned off the application of YPAO. Reselecting it turns YPAO back on again but the indicator light remains off. If you want the indicator light back on, go back to the YPAO menu and relaod your last run and teh indicator light will come on.

I think the GEQ is your graphic equalizer which applies the same equlaization across all channels. Think of it as the old graphic equalizers of old, where you have 7 to 12 frequency setting per channel, back in the stereo days, left and right channel only) in a seperate chassis. Thats GEQ is. I don't use mine although I should play with it just to learn more.

As far as the three settings go for PEQ, on the RX-V1800, there is flat, normal, and front ( I'm guessing from memory on the last setting) which adjusts the emphasis of the sound ofthe main speakers and applies it to the remaining speakers. I think this setting is there if you have decent front speakers but the caliber of speakers on the other channels are lower so they try and make the other channels sound as good as the fronts.

I hope this helps some. :)

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
The AVS forums has an Audyssey setup step-by-step instruction post at the link below. A lot of the general setup ideas are usefull for YAPO as well. Audyssey uses multiple microphone measurements and a PEQ with many more set points available. If you ignore the Audyssey-specific setup instructions you have a good general setup procedure you can use with YAPO.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis