YPAO. And speaker leveling

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
a combination of these things.
...and unrealistic expectations.

I've found YPAO and Audyssey to be helpful verifying the phase/wiring of each speaker, setting my sub gains for maximum volume flexibility of all speakers within the AVR controls, and providing a known reference point for individual speaker volume tweaking.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
This is what I have learned:
YPAO is not a magic pill that, when run, configures any system perfectly for any room. It is a tool that when understood, is useful to help configure any system in any room.
Agreed. My problem was my subwoofers were up to loud before running the test. I took PENGS advice and it worked out perfectly. I adjusted subwoofers down low, and got much more accurate settings. As far as the 8ohm taps and 4 ohm taps. Both senior engineers at Mcintosh said 8 ohm taps. And it sounds much better on the 8 than the 4. I did try that lol.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. My problem was my subwoofers were up to loud before running the test. I took PENGS advice and it worked out perfectly. I adjusted subwoofers down low, and got much more accurate settings. As far as the 8ohm taps and 4 ohm taps. Both senior engineers at Mcintosh said 8 ohm taps. And it sounds much better on the 8 than the 4. I did try that lol.
If you really want to manually increase your speaker levels just for fun, you should read Herbu's post#3 in the link below:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/do-yamaha-ypao-results-actually-mean-anything.103704/

I tried to explain how and why there may be advantage to get the speaker levels to 0 or close to o but I think Herbu manage to do it in easy to understand way. In practical terms that is almost silly, as long as the levels are not "maxed out", but for me I just like them around 0, so I know the preamps have plenty of reserve and I will have room to play.:D

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok got it. I have turned the subs down very low slightly above 8 o'clock, And this is when I got I feel the most accurate settings. However things were turned down to -5 I'll have to re-run YPAO with the sub At 9, to see what results that's yields

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Audyssey update for sub vs speaker level. They're independent. Set the subs' gain so that the avr turned level beyond the -12dB range, then where I like them at -11 and -7 (this is XT32/SubEQ on a Denon 4520) and then setting where the avr had to push the subs into the plus range (+5 in this specific case). The speaker levels never changed.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Audyssey update for sub vs speaker level. They're independent. Set the subs' gain so that the avr turned level beyond the -12dB range, then where I like them at -11 and -7 (this is XT32/SubEQ on a Denon 4520) and then setting where the avr had to push the subs into the plus range (+5 in this specific case). The speaker levels never changed.
Of course that is the case for XT32, that will tell you if you set the sub volume too high. He has YPAO!! If he said his sub volume too high, YPAO will still proceed to finish the job but will increase speaker levels to compensate. He has also solved the problem by turning down the sub volume know before running YPAO.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course that is the case for XT32, that will tell you if you set the sub volume too high. He has YPAO!! If he said his sub volume too high, YPAO will still proceed to finish the job but will increase speaker levels to compensate. He has also solved the problem by turning down the sub volume know before running YPAO.
I didn't say this was for YPAO, I specifically already mentioned that....that's what started this whole thing, that YPAO appears to be different....I'm just reporting back as promised.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't say this was for YPAO, I specifically already mentioned that....that's what started this whole thing, that YPAO appears to be different....I'm just reporting back as promised.
Okay then, thanks for correcting me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis