Your favourite DVD for showing your GRUNT!

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I agree with the above in general. I would also add the artillery bombardment before Pickett's Charge in "Gettysburg" and the antiaircraft fire on the drop into Normandy in part 2 of "Band of Brothers".

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
add a couple more,
the burial scene from Kill Bill 2
the Blue Man Group

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
well that, and I figured it was because it was "seismic charge" some type of overpowered wave of energy... I'm sure there is a "good" Star Wars(tm) reason.

Leprkon said:
I think the whole issue is Lucas trying to be tooo realistic. He sends the flash out first (light being faster than sound in the "real" world, but by the time the "sound" catches up, you are further along in the action and other stuff overrides it.

he does the same thing on the new explosions on the updated trilogy. this technique kinda started in Independance Day, but GL has really overdone it.

you end up with a sharp KaThang instead of an honest KaBOOM. it seems to be too much technology. :(

S

Slice

Enthusiast
Master & Commander in DTS is without equal.
Aforementioned pod races, olliphant stompings, and final battle of SPR are not too shabby. And I imagine the DTS Black Hawk Down would be very good also, but haven't experienced this version yet.

I purchased U-571 specifically for LFE, but I thought it sucked and returned it. Doesn't hold a candle to Das Boot's depth charges.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Let it Rain

I agree with most of the suggestions here although I'm a little surprised at the number of "B" movies. XXX really? I couldn't get through it.

The other day I popped in Kevin Costner's "Open Range", a slightly above average oater. I was a sunny afternoon, but after watching the long rain storm sequence, I actually believed it was pouring outside. The thunder is so subtle (off in the distance) it scared my dog. You want to put on a jacket.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Funny story,

I built my sub woofer, and the first TV show I watched was one of the earlier Enterprise shows. On screen explosion, sub woofer really kicks complete with the sharp crack and floor shaking. I'm thinking whoa, I know this sub was a great set-up, but wow. As it turns out, it is a great sub, but there is absolutely no way anybody could reproduce the sound caused by lightening striking a tree three houses away at the exact same time as the on screen explosion :) Still love the sub tho, even without nature's help :)

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
ducker said:
Sound enveloping me.

I understand when the "bomb" goes off there's an absense of sound that's kind of funky. But every time I watch that scene I'm expecting more base.
ditto, i allways that scene should have rumbled a lot more. a good part of that movie is a little bit before that when obi won goes to kamino and that flying thing come sout of the water. that part sounds pretty awesome.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
National Treasure

Rented National Treasure yesterday. It was only in 5.1 DD, but kudos to the sound engineers. What an amazing piece of work. Even better than Lucas' THX attempts. Very dynamic, with lots of surround effects. A great dvd to show off your system. Not a bad movie, either. It's your typical "good guy turns thief" flick. I left it in DD 5.1 instead of DTS Neo 6 and was pleasantly surprised.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I'm thinking Nemo is a keeper too. I've always heard about the "tap" scene, but I thought there were a lot of other good (read: loud and low) moments scattered throughout the whole film.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
the sound in black hawk isnt really that cool... and although the story is supposed to be completely accurate, the acting kinda bugs me. I do know that rangers that were actually in the somalia mission were sent to the movie set to make sure it stayed accurate, but there are too many hollywood actors, and horrible somalian actors.

i used to like it but after band of brothers, nothing really compares so far.

Last edited:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Spiderman 2

Hospital scene...Doc oc freaks out while doctors attempt to remove his
tenticles. Sound is intense!

Die Hard 1 - Helicoptor crashes on side of building. Incredible sound.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Add one more: the intro X-2 sequence in "Space Cowboys"... simply outstanding seperation and screen movement. easily as good as the Laser Disk version of Top Gun (haven't tried the DTS version on DVD)

the shuttle take-off was a little disappointing, but the satellite wrecking into the shuttle chased the cats out of the room. :D

the movie itself was really average, but they did some great work on the sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis