Your 5 favorite musical groups - Any genre

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
This is hard to answer because tastes change with time. Also, are we talking about current favorites or all-time favorites? Based on the number of CDs I own by each, I guess my top 5 would be:
Brian Eno
Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
Andreas Vollendweider
Bill Frisell
Runners up include:
Steve Roach
Robert Rich
Pink Floyd
Yes
Genesis.

Surrealist

Surrealist

Audiophyte
In chronological order:

David Bowie
Tom Waits
The Cure
Nine Inch Nails
RadioHead

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Ben Folds
Michael Brecker
Steely Dan
Paquito D'Rivera

-pat

J

jbost002

Audioholic Intern
Tool
Dave Matthews Band (trendy, I know - but they're incredible)
Metallica (pre-90s)
Alice in Chains
Nirvana

W

WayneC

Enthusiast
of all time? ... well ... based off how much I've listened to them over the years and bought their stuff (sometimes with each new tech)

Led Zeppelin
Rush
U2
The Beatles ( last spot is a tough fight between them, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd )

I know .. weird that 311 is in there with those classic rock bands.. but probably my favorite band consistently over the last 10 years.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I know .. weird that 311 is in there with those classic rock bands.. but probably my favorite band consistently over the last 10 years.
I have never heard of them. What style of music are they?

W

WayneC

Enthusiast
311's style is a blend of rock-reggae-and rap. You wouldn't think that the blending of those genres of music would yield something as melodic as they can produce, with some really great hooks in their music, but they pull it off well.
I think their greatest strength are their live shows. Fantastic band to see live. They have a very positive vibe lyrically, and really seem to appreciate their success and fans. They're definitely worth a listen.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The fact that that list includes rap leaves me out.:( I despise rap so much that I won't even listen to rap-influenced tracks by bands I enjoy otherwise (eg Blondie, Aerosmith.)

T

technicsoldier

Audiophyte
Pet shop boys
U2
The Pixies
Arcade Fire
Janes Addiction

D

density

Audioholic Intern
hrm... my list might be:

King Crimson (first 7 albums)
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Do Make Say Think
Massive Attack, Amon Tobin, Tool, NIN, Tin Hat, Les Claypool/Buckethead groups, Ghost Monkey, Einsturzende Neubauten... I dunno, hard to choose this spot.
the Mountain Goats (less for the music, more for the songwriting)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
The fact that that list includes rap leaves me out.:( I despise rap so much..........
Now, see, Joe, your missing out. If you heard 311 you would not say there was any rap involved. I'm not a huge fan, but they had a couple of hits that were really catchy, pop, toe tapping music. I would say more reggae influence than rap........I'm 46 so rap isn't my bag really. Some of its ok and the poetry can be stunningly good. It's not all gangsta black gang members with their hats on crooked and their pants falling down.........

To the OP 311 poster......didn't Jamariquoi sound a bit like them?

My current list in order:
Sia
Zero 7
Goldfrapp
Tori Amos
Sade

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Now, see, Joe, your missing out. If you heard 311 you would not say there was any rap involved. I'm not a huge fan, but they had a couple of hits that were really catchy, pop, toe tapping music. I would say more reggae influence than rap........I'm 46 so rap isn't my bag really. Some of its ok and the poetry can be stunningly good. It's not all gangsta black gang members with their hats on crooked and their pants falling down.........

To the OP 311 poster......didn't Jamariquoi sound a bit like them?

My current list in order:
Sia
Zero 7
Goldfrapp
Tori Amos
Sade
If they don't have an obvious rap influence, I might like them. I think that rap in the broader sense that you are using it is what I think of as "hip hop", and some of that is OK.
Love Goldfrapp, by the way. (And Allison is welcome to visit me in my apartment anytime!:D)

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
No particular order, except for SRV and DT...

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
2. John Hiatt
3. Allman Bothers
4. Bob Seger
5. CCR/John Fogerty...

Only 5?

6. Pink Floyd
7. Fleetwood Mac
8. Rush
9. Steve Miller
10. Bob Marley
11. Eric Clapton/Cream
12. Gov't Mule
13. Derek Trucks
14. Led Zeppelin...

And... ELP, Yes, Buffalo Springfield, Robin Trower, Dire Straits, The Band, Van Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Collective Soul, Steely Dan, JJ Cale, Pearl Jam....along with many others like Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters and etc.

It's too darn tough to just narrow a list down to just 5 or so bands/artist.

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
5 is Hard

All LED ZEPPELIN
the Who just bought the new 2disc live at leeds ..holy@#$!!
Stones ...beggars, exile, sticky,etc
Pink Floyd...meddle is my fave
Black Sabbath....Sabatage is my fave

i love all the classic rock but also other music too...mingus, davis, mars volta , beck , bjork, gomez, muse, MOTORHEAD!! temptations, sly and the family stone, john lee hooker,SRV, AC/DC , priest and maiden cheers

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
If they don't have an obvious rap influence, I might like them. I think that rap in the broader sense that you are using it is what I think of as "hip hop", and some of that is OK.
Love Goldfrapp, by the way. (And Allison is welcome to visit me in my apartment anytime!:D)
I think those under thirty have a much better grasp at subtleties (sp) between rap and hiphop. HipHop seems more electronic and trippy while rap is pretty clearly urban fifty centish to me........
Allison sends her regards but is just fine here..........OOooLala.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Yes, I'm old

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
and a lot of others tied for 5th

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
in no order,

Tool / A Perfect Circle / Linkin Park / Dream Theater
Pink Floyd / Led Zep / Black Sabbath
Muse / Modest Mouse / The Doves
Metallica / Iron Maiden / Megadeth
Steve Morse Band / Liquid Tension Experiment / Steve Vai

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
In no particular order:

Nirvana
Coldplay
Muse
Radiohead
Nine Inch Nails

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
1) Chore
2) Isis
3) MinusThe Bear
4) The Dillinger Escape Plan
5) Led Zeppelin

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In no special order:
Pink Floyd-The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Momentary Lapse of Reason, Echos
Led Zepplin -Stairway to Heaven (just love this one ;))
STP -Plush
Lynryd Skynryd-Freebird, Give Me Three Steps, and etc.
Queen-Bohemian Rhasphody, Another One Bites the Dust, Pressure

Others:
Eagles, Boston, Kansas, Bad Company, Styx, REO, Journey, Foreigner, Supertramp, ELO, ACDC, Linkin Park, BTO, CCR, Deep Purple, Ozzy, Mettallica, Rush, Rd Hot Chilli Peppers, Staind, 3DoorsDown, Breakin Benjamin, Cethur, POD, Tool, Trapt, 3Days Grace, Godsmack, Aerosmith, and etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis