You know you are an old fart when...

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
You know you’re an old fart when....

you watched the CBS Evening News with Douglas Edwards before Walter Cronkite.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You know you're an old fart when you watched Dan Briggs and Jim Phelps get their mission from the 'Secretary' on practically every non-digital recording medium in the original Mission: Impossible.
You left out "and then self-destruct" - that was the best part!:D

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
...you've lived long enough to see cassettes and vinyl come back.
It used to be an option for cd player in a car, then became standard, now many are not even an option from what I've heard. Your post made me think of it.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I begun refusing to learn how to use new technologies. When my mobile doesn't do what I want, I just hit it. With complete and utter understanding this won't do anything (other than help me vent just a little).

I'm telling you; I just know it. An old fart!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It used to be an option for cd player in a car, then became standard, now many are not even an option from what I've heard. Your post made me think of it.
I think that our grandkids will be shocked about cd players in cars as much as I was shocked to learn that vinyl record players for cars were a thing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In Milwaukee, one of the TV stations broadcast a show with a guy in a rocking chair who was surrounded by little kids and he would read the Sunday comics to them.

I remember sitting in the dark, to listen to radio shows like The Green Hornet, The Shadow and others. Made it spookier, for those of us who were about 5-7 years old.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In Milwaukee, one of the TV stations broadcast a show with a guy in a rocking chair who was surrounded by little kids and he would read the Sunday comics to them.

I remember sitting in the dark, to listen to radio shows like The Green Hornet, The Shadow and others. Made it spookier, for those of us who were about 5-7 years old.
The Green Hornet is an American radio adventure series that debuted in 1936 and introduced the character of the Green Hornet, a masked vigilante. Wikipedia
Original release: January 31, 1936 – December 5, 1952

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I begun refusing to learn how to use new technologies. When my mobile doesn't do what I want, I just hit it. With complete and utter understanding this won't do anything (other than help me vent just a little).

I'm telling you; I just know it. An old fart!
So true, I used to get new Gadget and learn everything about it inside and out but computers broke me of that!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think that our grandkids will be shocked about cd players in cars as much as I was shocked to learn that vinyl record players for cars were a thing.
Yeah, but I'm not sure you can really say they were a thing. More like a fleeting experiment!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Gawd, you really are an old fart!:p

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
You left out "and then self-destruct" - that was the best part!:D
sometimes they didn't destruct in 5, or even 10 seconds! Sometimes it was 'destroy this recording in the usual manner' (in acid, in a fire, etc) :cool:

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You know you're an old farte when you recall running over to the ringing phone to lift it off the hook...on the kitchen wall...only to find it "wasn't your ring" and the other people had started talking.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I used to watch the Apollo launches lying on my roof at night. Still remember watching the landing on TV with Walter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Just knowing who "Walter" is qualifies I think.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
You know you're an old farte when you recall running over to the ringing phone to lift it off the hook...on the kitchen wall...only to find it "wasn't your ring" and the other people had started talking.
Ooh - party lines! I also recall, being an old fart, when a phone number had three or more 9s and it took FOREVER to dial. Yes, I said "dial", as in "rotary"!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I can't be all that old, because I still have some memory! I still have my maternal grandparent's phone number memorized, as it because my parent's number, then my son's.

PLeasant 6-3318

I doubt folks under the age of 45 would even know how to decode that.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I can't be all that old, because I still have some memory! I still have my maternal grandparent's phone number memorized, as it because my parent's number, then my son's.

PLeasant 6-3318

I doubt folks under the age of 45 would even know how to decode that.
BR-549

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis