You got to check this out

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Here's some pictures of it from CES this year.

Paul

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
:eek:

That thing is HUGE. Over 56 pounds of magnet alone...

I'd like to see distortion and frequency response specs on that thing. i doubt it's that good, but it'd be fun. If it was decent, imagine the kind of fun you could have with 1 or 2 of those in your HT :D

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
That thing is crap for any SQ. But it's an SPL beast. I think the response curve I saw was somthing like 5Hz - 60Hz. It will play below 10Hz, and it hurts your chest when it does.

Paul

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Imagine the wife's reaction when you haul in what looks like a jet engine.

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Francious70 said:
That thing is crap for any SQ. But it's an SPL beast. I think the response curve I saw was somthing like 5Hz - 60Hz. It will play below 10Hz, and it hurts your chest when it does.

Paul

Ahhhhhhhhhh........Visceral Bass! :eek:

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
The official MTX description on the side said:

"Guarenteed to make your butt-hole pucker. Be sure to waer ear-plugs and diapers when listening in an in-car environment"

Paul

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Mythbusters on Discovery channel actually did a show recently testing if certain base frequencies could loosen your bowels. Nope. Went form I think 4 -20 hz.

Love that show!!

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
This is Clarion's 32" subwoofer.

And what about MTX's Thunder 100000000??

Paul

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Bryce_H said:
Mythbusters on Discovery channel actually did a show recently testing if certain base frequencies could loosen your bowels. Nope. Went form I think 4 -20 hz.

Love that show!!
I saw that episode. Their 'test' sound system was not capable of very high SPL at frequencies under 20Hz. This 'jackhammer' subwoofer would potentially create SPL at much greater magnitude then they tested, when used within a re-inforced closed car cabin as is typically used in competition vehicles. I don't know if very LF will cause the dreaded 'brown-note' effect, or not, it's not been demonstrated in a proper research of which I am aware. But the Mythbuster episode was not(and usually is not) an example of a well controlled test, nor did it have sufficient number of subjects or documentation in order to conclude anything of value, IMO. It's a 'fun' show.

-Chris

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

That huge 60" subwoofer is NOT an MTX. It was built by Richard Clark, the man in the picture. MTX paid him to put their name on it. They had nothing to very little to do with its design (other than helping pay for it by putting their name on it). It (the sub) is in a bread truck with about 10,000 to 20,000 watts rms on it. It did manage to hit about 160 db (could be 150 ish, I cannot remember for sure), at around 20 hz.

P

puska

Audiophyte
quad or magnapan?

I'm looking for quad or magnapan. Any sugestion where to find a best deal?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis