you are given $1200 for loudspeakers and a center...

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
you are given $1200 for loudspeakers and a center, what do you get?

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
Tex-amp said:
5 or 7 channels?

just the front three

Front Left, Front RT and Center

it isnt really a questing for a future purchase of mine, i just want to get an idea of what people on this message board would spend $1200 on.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
Mega2000 said:
you are given $1200 for loudspeakers and a center, what do you get?
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.3's for mains and the matching CC-470. With a not uncommon 15% authorized dealer discount, they run a shade over $1,200.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
av-man

av-man

Audioholic
A pair of Wharfedale EVO 10"s and an EVO center in rosewood. And I'll have $200 left for beer.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
jimmit said:
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.3's for mains and the matching CC-470. With a not uncommon 15% authorized dealer discount, they run a shade over $1,200.

I second that or I'd just get a pair of Studio 40's and save for the center.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Buckeye1
Be careful with the SDA-SRS speakers. Though the owner says they present an easy load to drive, that is not the necessarily the case. In fact the load presented by those speakers, and Bob Carver, cost me salesman of the month once. They are truly awesome speakers! The cross-talk cancellation concept was much more than gadget, as those speakers truly presented a 3-D soundstage.

In the mid-80's Carver was experimenting with "sonic holography" and had some amps and pre-amps that manipulated the sound so that they could really add breadth and depth to the music. Unfortuantely they had no "guts" and any serious fluctuation impedance they couldn't handle. This guy comes in all fired up about his Carver amp and pre-amp and is dead set on getting the SRS. I did everything I could short of telling the guy that his amp was a piece of crap to make him understand that his amp wouldn't drive the speakers. He refused to listen. He bought them the last week of the month.

Next week (first week of the month) he came back all pissed off because he couldn't turn the volume up past 1/4 way without his amp shutting down. He returns the speakers. My boss is less than pleased with me because I should have made him sign an agreement stating that he had been told his amp wouldn't drive the speakers, he was buying at his own risk, and there would be no return possible. I started off the month 3 grand (or whatever) in the hole. I had a good month, but would have been much better without the return. To this day I am still suspicious of Carver's electronics, even though many people rave about them.

Anyway, I am sure your Denon has more current than those Carver amps did, just wanted to let you know they aren't as easy a load to drive as the post indicated.
Sorry to hijack the thread.
x

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
XS,

I promise to be careful. :) The WAF is zero with those SDS SRS. I won't be purchasing them. I'm glad you posted here, otherwise we may have a very upset member.

I remember those speakers from the 80's. They could handle 1000 watts. My little Denon would die of heat and exhaustion trying to drive them. They most definitely would benefit from an outboard amp (per speaker!). If I remember correctly, I think the shop was using a few Soundcraftsman amps with the SRS series. It's sad to see Carver couldn't live up to them.

I had a little fun with this thread and tried to find the most outrageous deals within the price suggested. I had to list my center CSi5 as a joke compared to the other three offerings. Audio humor.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Painful when one is slow on the up-take. Ouch.
However the sign of a good joke like that is the
"Is he really serious... He can't be serious, can he?" factor. Obviously you scored on that one.
X

annunaki

annunaki

My pick would be the B&W DM602 S3 and the LCR600 S3. I would use the extra $100 toward a pair of the DM601 S3.

A second choice would be the PSB T45 and the Image C60.

A third choice would be the Energy C-5 and the C-C1 and Save $100.

All prices are authorized dealer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis