Yikes! is anyone reading the CES coverage?

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Truly unbelievable,
Hitachi announces a 50-inch 1080P Plasma shipping in Feb at CES with proprietary Hitachi scaling and great glass and there are crickets? Come on guys this is big news! If Hitachi can bring this to market what do you think is in store with Panasonic, Pioneer and Samsung? Not one mention on this forum about a $2500 50-inch 1080p Plasma and that is retail. No I am not going to provide a link go read the CES coverage :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
RLA said:
Truly unbelievable,
Hitachi announces a 50-inch 1080P Plasma shipping in Feb at CES with proprietary Hitachi scaling and great glass and there are crickets? Come on guys this is big news! If Hitachi can bring this to market what do you think is in store with Panasonic, Pioneer and Samsung? Not one mention on this forum about a $2500 50-inch 1080p Plasma and that is retail. No I am not going to provide a link go read the CES coverage :)
Hey Ray. Loan me 2-and-a-half large and I'll get really excited for ya.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I caught that, but it's hard for me to get too excited when I got tired of the waiting game and just bought a 50" 720 Pioneer:( It looks like Pioneer is coming out with a top notch set that is leaps and bounds above the current line, but at what price? From all the talk on AVS, it looks like Pioneer is content to be the top dog in pic quality but not the low price leader. Sure it will trickle down, but how long will it be?

That Hitachi is exciting news, however. Did you see one, Ray? Did you also check out the new 1080 Pioneers? Give us your take on the pic quality.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
When I see a 60"+ at a more reasonable price, I'll start turning cartwheels. Which will be interesting from my wheelchair and not much muscle to speak of!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
A 50", $2500, 1080p plasma? From Hitachi?

Hot damn.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
That Hitachi is exciting news, however. Did you see one, Ray? Did you also check out the new 1080 Pioneers? Give us your take on the pic quality.
You might find this interesting Duke. This is a copy and paste from my site.
The first one is Pionner, scroll down for the Hitachi coverage

One of the most pristine images we viewed on a display device at CES 2007 was the 1080p/24Hz demonstration at the Pioneer booth. The system included the new and beautiful Pioneer Elite Pure Vision 50-inch 1080p plasma display, BDP-HD1 Blu-ray player and VSX-82 TXS Elite receiver. This was one of the most crowed demonstrations at CES 2007 and we had to wait until just before show closing to get a good look at it. All we can say is that it was well worth it to see the spectacular image. Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is making it easier for home theater enthusiasts to bring the movie theater experience into their living rooms with a trio of audio video products that faithfully deliver 1080p/24Hz picture performance. The Pioneer Elite® PureVision™ 50” 1080p plasma display, Blu-ray Disc® player and A/V receivers work together to handle the 1080p/24Hz rate needed to preserve a feature film’s original sequence. Pioneer is the only manufacturer with this trio of products that provide audio video enthusiasts the cinematic picture performance of 1080p/24 Hz in the comfort of their own homes. “Every piece of technology and engineering that goes into Pioneer products is created with the intention of providing a high definition entertainment experience in its purest form”, said Paul Meyhoefer, vice president of displays for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “We’ve continued to refine each generation of plasma and have reached the pinnacle with the combination of a PRO-FHD1 plasma display combined with a Blu-ray Disc player and A/V receiver.” The majority of feature film titles are mastered on discs at 24 film frames per second (fps or Hz) with a 1080p signal. Since most televisions are unable to accept the 1080p 24Hz format, many employ a technique known as Inverse Telecine. Also known as 3:2 pulldown, this process converts 24fps into 30fp by inserting six additional film frames per second. While there is an improvement in the playback performance, the scene sequence is compromised and a slight jitter may appear during motion action. Pioneer delivers a new dimension in high definition with its high end audio video products that resolve and improve feature film playback. Advanced PureCinema: The HD Solution Industry-leading technologies and refined engineering have made Pioneer plasmas the only HDTV able to showcase 1080p 24Hz.Specifically, the PRO-FHD1 takes advantage of exclusive Advanced PureCinema or 3:3 pulldown. With Advanced PureCinema, each film frame is shown three times every 24th of a second for an extremely smooth picture performance that now equals 72 frames per picture. Unseen by the human eye, by “flashing” each film frame three times, this process improves on-screen imagery that now appears more natural and synchronized with the original film for unmatched picture precision. Pioneer Products Ensure Premium Playback Blu-ray Disc movie titles are also mastered at 1080p 24 Hz to ensure that the film’s original sequence is preserved and viewers enjoy the stunning picture quality the emerging technology provides. The Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Disc player is engineered to handle and output a pure 1080p 24Hz signal for natural, high quality film reproduction of Blu-ray Disc titles.

Pioneer Features Industry’s only 1080p 24Hz Home Theater Design

The Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS and VSX-84TXSi A/V receivers feature sophisticated engineering and several HDMI inputs for the specific purpose of transferring large amounts of high definition signals like that of a 1080p signal. When connected to a 1080p HDTV, the entire signal can be passed in its purest form straight to the display. Pioneer's Home Entertainment Division is a leading marketer of plasma televisions and monitors, Blu-ray Disc, DVD players and DVD recorders, A/V receivers, speakers and other audio and video accessories. Its focus is on the development of new digital technologies including Digital Network Entertainment™. The company markets its products under the Pioneer and Elite brand names. When purchased from an authorized dealer, consumers receive a limited warranty for one year with Pioneer products and two years with Elite products. For more information visit www.pioneerusa.com

Hitachi

The Hitachi booth was brimming with excitement with the news that the manufacturer will introduce a 50-inch 1080p plasma at a price the Average Joe can afford. The new P50H401 is slated to ship in February and will have an MSRP of just $2,500. That is an incredible price for a 1080p plasma. We had the opportunity to view all of the new displays at the Hitachi booth and they looked very good but we noted all of the displays content was near static. We would really like to see the new displays handle full motion content before we comment on their performance capabilities. “Hitachi has produced a unique, high-performance offering for 50-inch flat screen consumers," said Bill Whalen, director of product development at Hitachi America, Ltd., Ubiquitous Platform Systems Division. "This new 50-inch television is engineered to be a better match for the dominant 1080 HDTV format and packs more pixels on screen than comparable products. Hitachi Plasma technology offers superior motion resolution, color depth and viewing angles for flat screen television viewers. All models include Hitachi's fourth generation 1080p PictureMaster IV video processor that analyzes and optimizes the picture with dynamic histogram processing, 16-bit clarity, and new for 2007 MPEG noise reduction. All of these mean that the viewer will see a clean and vivid picture. All 2007 flat panel models include three 1080p-compatible HDMITM inputs with SimplayHDTM certification so that consumers can have confidence that they will be able to display the latest digital content with state of the art reliability. New for 2007, Hitachi includes 3 picture setting memories and 3 timers for each input for the ultimate in performance and picture tuning flexibility. Since every set top tuner and disc player is different, and lighting conditions vary from morning to daytime to nighttime, Hitachi offers 3 discrete picture setting memories for each input. The presets will allow the image to be customized according to source and room lighting conditions and can be customized to change automatically. The picture memories are designated as "Day," "Day Dynamic" and "Night." For more information visit www.hitachi.com

Hope this helps,
Have a great weekend all,
Ray

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
RLA said:
Truly unbelievable,
Hitachi announces a 50-inch 1080P Plasma shipping in Feb at CES with proprietary Hitachi scaling and great glass and there are crickets?
Is that a real 1080P(1920x1080P)? Or one of those cheezy 1024x1080P Hitachi gimmicks?

-Chris

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Hitachi has pulled a fast one with some marketing BS and it is indeed 1080 but it is no where close to 1920.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I will agree that Hitachi may be spinning the press release with the title the 50-inch 1080p, but you are missing the point of the thread. Hitachi just put pressure on the rest of the manufacturers that are selling 1280 x 720p 50-inch plasmas in the $2000- $2500 price point. Hitachi is typically at the top of the competitive plasma price points and this is sure to have a significant effect on current and future plasma price thresholds in the market. There is no way that other manufacturers are not going to respond and many of them got caught with tier pants down at CES. Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, LG, and Phillips all had 1280 x 720p plasmas in the same price point as the new Hitachi and to be competitive they will need to respond. This is very good news for the consumer.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Not to rain on Hitachi's parade, but check the "deals" section on the Vizio 47" 1080p LCD at Costco for $1650 (ther was a $250 coupon, sale may be over). LCD is going to put plasma out of business if this continues.

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=20
Complete with reports of overscan, backlight bleeding, poor blacks, loud hums, etc. That TV may be a sign of things to come, but that particular TV apparently isn't all that great.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Not to rain on Hitachi's parade, but check the "deals" section on the Vizio 47" 1080p LCD at Costco for $1650 (ther was a $250 coupon, sale may be over). LCD is going to put plasma out of business if this continues.
Hey Buckeye, that is a 47-inch panel vs. 50-inch and is LCD vs. plasma. That’s not really apples to oranges comparison. If you really want to know what the future holds for large screen LCD here ya go big guy.

After viewing the new 8th generation D82U and D92U 1080p LCD HDTV’s from Sharp, all doubt was removed from our minds that we had just seen the best image from an LCD HDTV at the 2007 CES. The 120 Hz frame rate conversion and contrast ratio of 10,000:1 for D82U and 15,000:1 for the D92U looked stunning. Detail, color, black level, and the overall image looked absolutely gorgeous. The new 120 Hz panel and fast 4-millisecond response time made fast motion content look fluid and natural. The D82 series will be available in 52-inch and 46-inch screen sizes and will have a sleek piano black cabinet and bottom mounted speakers. The new LCD HDTV’s will feature Multi-Pixel Technology, which divides each pixel into two sections and adds advanced driving system to provide 60 percent improved color reproduction at wide viewing angles. Both the LC-46D82U and the LC-52D82D will incorporate built in ATCS, NTSC and QAM tuners. For maximum flexibility the new series will include three 1080p capable HDMI inputs and two component video inputs. The new LC-46D92U will be available in February 2007 and has an MSRP of $3,699.99. The LC-52D82U has the same ship date and is listed at $4,799.99. The D92 Series will be available in four screen sizes starting with the LC-42D92U available in April 2007 with an MSRP of $3,499.99. The LC-46D92U has an MSRP of $4,199.99 and the LC-52D92U has an MSRP of $5,299.99 and are available now. The LC-65D93U will be available in March 2007 and will have an MSRP of $10,999.99. For more information visit www.sharpusa.com

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Ray, thanks for that info! It does sound intresting indeed! I can only speculate how much those new Pioneers will be. Expensive, I'm sure. Do you think the Hitachis stack up pretty well with the current xx70 series Pioneers?

Duke

PS Keep practicing and maybe next year you can make it on the Dream Team;) If it's any consolation, I'm rooting for you!

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
PS Keep practicing and maybe next year you can make it on the Dream Team If it's any consolation, I'm rooting for you!
LOL,
Been there done that:D This was my 16th year at CES :)

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
RLA said:
LOL,
Been there done that:D This was my 16th year at CES :)
Ray's his own dream team. Him and all his imaginary friends:p

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The Dukester said:
Does he get them to bring his walking shoes?:D
Of course not, even they rank higher than me. Hey, at least they were new and relatively stink free...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis