Yet another ER18 build, this time from Sweden

M

Missionman

Junior Audioholic
The ER18 MTM cabinet height & interior volume and its resulting bass tuning, and the crossover was specifically designed for two ER18 woofers.

I just wanted to be sure you know :).
Yeah i knew that bud, but thanks :D

Ive just gone with roughly the same measurements as the enclosure above, but with slight changes, to make it unique to me...
And im going with Peerless speakers and crossovers in the enclosures. :D

Have made quite a progress in it, concidering its my first build day, but unfortunately due to internet issues, im currently using my galaxy s 2 tethered via usb to my laptop for internet connection, if i was to upload pics, it would eat my allowance. :(

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Thanks mattsk8 for your comments. As you know I have a Onkyo TX-NR809 A/V Receiver. The other day I did a full Audyssey setup with 8 measuring positions. Before I did that it sounded really good:). Now after, it sounds even better:D! When I did the Audyssey setup I have to tune the sub volyme to 75 db, and at that volume it is almost at it's lowest point. So now I can cross my sub at 60 when I look at movies.
When I am listening to music I use Pure Audio setting, and the bass is still amazing. Yesterday I was listening to Dire Straits and the song "Six Blade Knife", and there is a bass rutine in it (I hope you understand what I mean) that I actually could feel in my body. I have never felt that before with my old speaker, not without a sub anyway. So right now I am a very happy and satisfied guy:D.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Thanks mattsk8 for your comments. As you know I have a Onkyo TX-NR809 A/V Receiver. The other day I did a full Audyssey setup with 8 measuring positions. Before I did that it sounded really good:). Now after, it sounds even better:D! When I did the Audyssey setup I have to tune the sub volyme to 75 db, and at that volume it is almost at it's lowest point. So now I can cross my sub at 60 when I look at movies.
When I am listening to music I use Pure Audio setting, and the bass is still amazing. Yesterday I was listening to Dire Straits and the song "Six Blade Knife", and there is a bass rutine in it (I hope you understand what I mean) that I actually could feel in my body. I have never felt that before with my old speaker, not without a sub anyway. So right now I am a very happy and satisfied guy:D.
Totally understand what you mean about the bass routine! That's awesome! I have a Yamaha RX-V1065 and it uses YPAO, which is basically the same as Onkyo or Denon's Audyssey; although I've heard Audyssey works a bit better. My Yamaha has a Pure Audio setting as well, but it only runs the fronts in that mode, no sub :(. I'd listen to music in that mode as well, but the JBL bookshelves I'm using on that system pretty much need the sub. Glad you're enjoying!

The hardest part for me to overcome when I first used it was actually doing the sub set-up properly. I'm going back a few years now, but if I remember right I was supposed to set the volume on the sub itself at 1/3. I remember thinking,"Really? 1/3? That's not going to work, it's way to quiet". But against my worse judgement I did it and it sounded amazing! The volume on my sub is at about 1/3, and the sub volume on the reciever is somewhere in the middle.

I got all my bad listening habits from my dad. It was hard to break the ole 'turn the bass and treble up and turn the loudness on' habit; but over the past 10 years I've finally come to understand why that sounds so terrible. Now I'm pretty much flat on all of that and never use the loudness button. And slowly but surely I'm learning that it's way better to start at super quiet and go up than it is to start at super loud and go down, if you know what I mean.

I still go over to his house and I'll turn his stereo on only to find all his tone adjustments, boosters and whatever other frequency boosters they throw on stereos turned all the way up :confused:! I want to say, "Really, does that honestly sound better to you??". But he's my dad so I let it go :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Totally understand what you mean about the bass routine! That's awesome! I have a Yamaha RX-V1065 and it uses YPAO, which is basically the same as Onkyo or Denon's Audyssey; although I've heard Audyssey works a bit better. My Yamaha has a Pure Audio setting as well, but it only runs the fronts in that mode, no sub :(. I'd listen to music in that mode as well, but the JBL bookshelves I'm using on that system pretty much need the sub. Glad you're enjoying!

The hardest part for me to overcome when I first used it was actually doing the sub set-up properly. I'm going back a few years now, but if I remember right I was supposed to set the volume on the sub itself at 1/3. I remember thinking,"Really? 1/3? That's not going to work, it's way to quiet". But against my worse judgement I did it and it sounded amazing! The volume on my sub is at about 1/3, and the sub volume on the reciever is somewhere in the middle.

I got all my bad listening habits from my dad. It was hard to break the ole 'turn the bass and treble up and turn the loudness on' habit; but over the past 10 years I've finally come to understand why that sounds so terrible. Now I'm pretty much flat on all of that and never use the loudness button. And slowly but surely I'm learning that it's way better to start at super quiet and go up than it is to start at super loud and go down, if you know what I mean.

I still go over to his house and I'll turn his stereo on only to find all his tone adjustments, boosters and whatever other frequency boosters they throw on stereos turned all the way up :confused:! I want to say, "Really, does that honestly sound better to you??". But he's my dad so I let it go :)
To quote (or paraphrase) Larry Flynt, "You can't legislate good taste" :)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi WiseG Thanks very much for starting the thread, and your speakers look terrific. I'm very pleased you're happy with the results of all that effort.

I take it you're looking for a center that will fit in your cabinet? It looks like you would need a smallish horizontal MTM for that. I have a design using the Fountek tweeter and the ER15 woofers that should match your speakers well. I also have an upright MT monitor using the same drivers in your speakers if that's a possibility. I can send you schematics and dimensions if you're interested in one of those. The monitor can me done in either a .5 cu ft or .75 cu ft cabinet. Cheers

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi Dennis, actually I missed your reply, but thanks for your response. I think the design using the Fountek tweeter and the ER15 woofers would be perfect. Please send me schematics and dimensions. Cheers

D

doors666

Audioholic Intern
Hi WiseG Thanks very much for starting the thread, and your speakers look terrific. I'm very pleased you're happy with the results of all that effort.

I take it you're looking for a center that will fit in your cabinet? It looks like you would need a smallish horizontal MTM for that. I have a design using the Fountek tweeter and the ER15 woofers that should match your speakers well. I also have an upright MT monitor using the same drivers in your speakers if that's a possibility. I can send you schematics and dimensions if you're interested in one of those. The monitor can me done in either a .5 cu ft or .75 cu ft cabinet. Cheers
Hi Dennis,

Lots of people are and will be looking for a center channel design to go with the ER18s, including me:). There are posts in the main er18 thread for it. Would it be possible to publish it.

T

TP143

Audioholic Intern
Great build and thanks for the writeup. I will be referencing as I build mine and will surely return the favor to others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis