Yet another ER18 build, this time from Sweden

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi, as I am from Sweden you have to forgive my misspelling and bad grammar;). Well, I have following the theads about the ER18 since I Found Skyline wonderfully documented first build thread sometime in early spring this year. You guys have really inspired me to get on with this project.:) So during my vacation I have build myself a pair. I choosed the ribbon version, oak veener and black Baffle and stands Here are some pictures of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to Audioholics WiseG!

Your spelling is good, your grammar is fine, and your woodwork is excellent. Thank you for posting those photos.

What do you think of their sound? What speakers did you have before building the ER18?

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi Swerd, I really like them and they sounds way better than may Acoustic Research Status S40 I have before. The bass is ecellent and now I don't need my subwoofer when I am listening to music. I drive them with an Onkyo TX-NR809 and it has a setting called Pure Audio, in this mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing
possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity audio reproduction, and the sound is amazing.
By the way, I have a question regarding my subwoofer and the ER18. Do you or any other know the crossover frequency for the ER18 is to work with a subwoofer? I hope you understand wath I mean

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… I have a question regarding my subwoofer and the ER18. Do you or any other know the crossover frequency for the ER18 is to work with a subwoofer? I hope you understand wath I mean
The ER18 MTM is predicted to have a F3 (the frequency where the response is down by 3 dB) of 35 Hz and can produce useful sound as low as 31 Hz.

I would try setting a subwoofer at several frequencies such as 40, 50, or 60 Hz. See what sounds best to you. The results will vary depending on where the subwoofer is located in your room, so try listening at several different frequencies.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Very nice work!!! Glad you enjoy yours, I know I enjoy mine!

C

capricious

Junior Audioholic
Very beautiful! Glad that you are enjoying the fruits of your labor! :cool:

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Thanks for your nice replays :). I am also planning to build a center channel to match these beauties. Any suggestion to what would work with these :confused:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to Audioholics, and thanks for posting about your new speakers! Beautiful work that you did on those. Your whole room is very nicely layed out and decorated. Did you make any of the other wood furniture in the room?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your nice replays :). I am also planning to build a center channel to match these beauties. Any suggestion to what would work with these :confused:
Dennis Murphy frequents this forum from time to time, or you could probably get his contact info over on his Philharmonic website. Your best bet would be to contact him for suggestions. And of course report back to us on any info

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi Adam, thanks for your replay. About the furniture, I wish, but no. Actually they are purchased at IKEA. It is the BILLY bookcase you see in the picture. The media furniture is also purchased at IKEA but I don't know the name.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Nice work, those look great! I haven't seem too many people use oak but I think those work really well, especially with the rest of your furniture. Was this your first speaker build?

FWIW, I cross mine at 80 when I watch movies but I think you should follow Swerd's advice and experiment a little.

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi skyline, yes this is my first build but not my last. I have followed Swerd's advice and I cross mine at 40. I tryed 60 but it was to mucht, to boomy.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have followed Swerd's advice and I cross mine at 40. I tryed 60 but it was to mucht, to boomy.
The boominess might be from having the sub turned up too loud. Maybe as you go up in frequency you need to go down a little on your subwoofer volume. Which subwoofer are you using?

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Hi skyline, yes this is my first build but not my last. I have followed Swerd's advice and I cross mine at 40. I tryed 60 but it was to mucht, to boomy.
That's an impressive first build, I can only assume by those speakers that this isn't your first wood working project. I can't tell from the pictures but did you end up polishing the finish on the baffles? If so, I'd like to know what process you used to achieve that level of gloss Do you have any more pics you can post?

As for the boomyness, I'm interested to know what sub you're using too. Did you use stuffing inside the cabinet of the ER18's?

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi. Ok, the sub is an Jamo SW 410E. No it is't my first wood working project, but I have much help from all of you on these threads. It is my first veneering project, hence some mistakes. The baffle and stand is a pro paint job. I have neither the equipment or space to do a paintjob. About the suffing, I used pillow suffing. I have som pics from the build an I will post them later today or tomorrow

W

WiseG

Enthusiast
Hi guys, I promised some pictures here they are. First a picture of my old speakers Acoustic Research Status S40.

Here a picture of one of the x-over.

And the x-over in the cabbinet.

Starting to veener.

While I was waiting for the baffle to be painted I put the stuffing in and
treated the veener with waxoil.

That's it. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Missionman

Junior Audioholic
absolutely gorgous :D

Im actually heading down to my local wood supplier today with these speaker measurements, im going to build myself some i think, but with curved sides and single 7.25" bass driver instead of two.. :D

i will be sticking up pics of my progression in the project :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Im actually heading down to my local wood supplier today with these speaker measurements, im going to build myself some i think, but with curved sides and single 7.25" bass driver instead of two…
The ER18 MTM cabinet height & interior volume and its resulting bass tuning, and the crossover was specifically designed for two ER18 woofers.

I just wanted to be sure you know :).

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Obviously you seem to know quite a bit, but just thought I'd share my experience w/ my powered subwoofer on my HT system (not being used w/ my ER18s). I used to dial my sub in by ear when I had my older Denon digital HT reciever. My new Yamaha uses the YPAO mic to dial it in, and I was astonished at how far off I was w/ my sub volume. I used to have it at about 2/3 volume when I did it by ear, where as the YPAO has it at about 1/3ish and it sounds superb. I don't remember where I have it crossed over (I'm at work), but that would be a fairly mute point since they're different speakers.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as some food for thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis