Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Matsu****a just announced at CES the development of a huge new plasma tv manufacturing plant, and also that it will begin producing...ta daaaa...103" plasma screen televisions. Now that's what I'm talkin' about. ;) (Unfortunately, it will probably cost you, initially at least, half the value of your home.)

http://www.physorg.com/news9669.html

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
LOL it cencored the company name!

Cool find. Although, a Mitsubishi 82inch Micro display is tempting also..

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
rjbudz said:
(Unfortunately, it will probably cost you, initially at least, half the value of your home.)

Aad, another line feed from the power company:D

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
103 inches?

How are you suppose to bring that home? Don't plasma displays weigh quite a bit already?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
HookedOnSound said:
103 inches?

How are you suppose to bring that home? Don't plasma displays weigh quite a bit already?
Heck no! Try carrying a 36inch tube TV before you complain about a plasma. :) Atleast Plasma's are easy to get a grip on.

SheepStar

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Grip is everything. My 36" Toshiba HD tube weighs over 200 lbs and is near impossible to get a grip on. I dread the day I have to move it again

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I wand OLED and SED! What's the big deal about plasma? Yeah, they look good but OLED and SED look better and are said to last longer.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Sweet looking unit, but value for the money - nothing beats a front projector. Frankly I would not buy a plasma at 103" If you want a picture that big, you are much better off with a front projector. It would take up the same amount of space (some would argue less - particularly with a roll-up screen), you can easily move it if needed, and it would be cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
yes, but you need a really dark room for a projector, not so with a plasma or lcd, or dlp, or whatever non front projection system.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Bryce_H said:
Sweet looking unit, but value for the money - nothing beats a front projector. Frankly I would not buy a plasma at 103" If you want a picture that big, you are much better off with a front projector. It would take up the same amount of space (some would argue less - particularly with a roll-up screen), you can easily move it if needed, and it would be cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
Glocksrock makes a valid point about room darkness. I guess there are really expensive projectors that have beaucoup lumens, but you're paying a hefty tag on those, too.

But curiously, a friend and I have been discussing screens. You say a roll up saves space. My friends says that keeping a screen flat and true is of utmost importance and will only use one permanently installed and framed. Does anyone have any input into this issue?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You want a portable roll up screen?

Give me OLED! :)

Sounds like SED is more reliable and will likely to make it to market before OLED though. OLED simply sounds like it may have more long term potential.

It all looks awesome though. Just don't have the pockets that are deep enough for most of it.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I would never use a roll up screen due to the accuracy issues mentioned. I have and will continue to use a framed, permently mounted flat screen.

I should have said electric screen and I was only infering that you could save additional space by using such a screen.

And yes room brightness is definately a factor in your purchase. I would think however if someone is buying a screen that big it would be for a home theater in which you would try to control light anyway for the theater effect.

In terms of cost - you could get some very nice projectors for half the potential price of this plasma (this assumes current price of a decent 50" plasma to be around 3.5-4K that a 103" plasma would be twice as much - basic logic, I know) Just things to think about.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Bryce - I was actually referring to OLED as a possible future roll up screen direct view technology. Kind of like a bright plasma that weighs just a few pounds and can be rolled up and put into a tube.

Very cool technology! If you haven't read about it yet, spend a bit Googling and reading - it seems nifty.

I personally have my projector and agree that right now, if you have a properly light controlled environment, front projection is impossible to beat for value for the dollar.

Just wait until we finally start seeing some LED projectors hit the street (not just vaporware) and seeing some real LED based home theater front projection units.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Gotcha - misread your post. I'll have to check up on OLED - maybe my next toy :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Bryce_H said:
Gotcha - misread your post. I'll have to check up on OLED - maybe my next toy :D
I would recommend some other toys first - OLED that can do that is likely many years away... at the earliest. It's just a cool possibility.

I didn't see it, but heard about a demo of a OLED display that could be rolled into a tube and the back side of the display had solar panels on it to run the display. It was for military field operation and included a battery pack so the display could be unrolled, charge itself, run some extra gear and store power for later use. Very trick, very military - and probably half a million bucks or more.

I can imagine though having a cel phone that looks like two pens stuck together and when you pull them apart a screen unrolls and tensions between them giving you a 6" diagonal screen that is bright and usable for whatever you need. From PDA to portable computing.

majorloser

majorloser

Sheep said:
Heck no! Try carrying a 36inch tube TV before you complain about a plasma. :) Atleast Plasma's are easy to get a grip on.

SheepStar
Sheep's right! I used to work part-time doing delivery and setups (easy money and good tips most of the time). It never failed, I'd deliver a 36" (always by myself :mad: ) and the set wouldn't fit the entertainment center they owned. They'd always say, "The furniture company says it will hold a 36" TV". Yeah right, they mean a 36" WIDE TV......duh. And those "nice ladies" insist you keep trying. Even if you measure before you un-boxed the set.

I'll take delivering side by side refrigerator over a 36" TV. At least the manufacturers put wheels on the bottom of those.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
OLED is already being implemented in small devices such as digital cameras and MP3 players. My ZenMicro Photo has an OLED display and it is beautiful. There is no backlight, it uses much less power than LCD. There are no viewing angle problems. It's bright. It's capable of zero black. I just wish it was about 80 inches larger. :D

OLED's can be "printed" using inkjet technology and they say OLED will eventually be woven into clothing. HERE is an excellent article about OLED. It is a little dated though. I believe they have increased the life by a lot, especially for the blue OLED's.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis