YAY!!! Porcupine Tree's new one drops next week!!!

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
It's quite possible that Wilson incorporated a digital crosstalk cancellation process during the mixdown which could b clashing with the SDA process. I know running 2 crosstalk cancellation processes concurrent can result in a big old blurry mess.

DJ
I hadn't considered that. I know mixing Bob Carver's Sonic Holography and SDA creates a big mess. Maybe I will disconnect the cable to see if that's it. Thanks.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
djreef and John...it was the SDA effect that caused the problem. Disconnected the cable and it's much better. I guess SW did put some digital crosstalk cancellation in the recording. Thanks guys.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Yea, there's new crosstalk killer apps coming online all the time in the pro realm. Since the studio has gone digital new efx programs like these have become pretty common. Glad everything worked out.

DJ

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Yea, there's new crosstalk killer apps coming online all the time in the pro realm. Since the studio has gone digital new efx programs like these have become pretty common. Glad everything worked out.

DJ
I'm glad you thought to post this. I don't listen to very many modern bands. I'll have to be prepared for this. Taking SDA out really didn't diminish the soundstage, it was still very wide and deep, but the density thinned out, vocals grew richer and the harshness was gone. It's still going to be optimum in 5.1 lossless, but I can enjoy it now.

FeisalK

FeisalK

Junior Audioholic
it;s a very intense album, and not as easy to get into as In Absentia or Deadwing or even FOABP. I think the way they're doing the tour (whole of The Incident as a first set) allows people to be concentrated on the album plus the live experience makes it easier to get into as a first listen.

The 5.1 mix (currently DTS on DVD-V) is awesome, there's a bit in Time Flies - the quiet bit with guitars around the room and spiralling into the front starting the solo at 6:30 - that just grabs me every time.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Thanx for cluing in that there was a finally DVD-A version Feisal.

DJ

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Thanx for cluing in that there was a finally DVD-A version Feisal.
DJ
Is there? I gathered from his post that he's listening to a dvd-v in dts 5.1 surround. The last I heard there is no DVD-A released yet.

Feisal, can you clear that up? If not out yet have you heard any news on a DVD-A release?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am pretty sure that there is only a DVD-V version, no mention of DVD-A tracks yet. My guess is they are going to release the new concert disc before we see a DVD-A of this album. I think this one is a bit busy for 2ch, even though it sounds good; there are too many layers at times. Like Ron, I think this one was really intended for multichannel.

This album grew on me, unlike other albums which I more or less liked immedately, this one took a while to set in. I like it, but there are still tracks I don't like.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I am pretty sure that there is only a DVD-V version, no mention of DVD-A tracks yet. My guess is they are going to release the new concert disc before we see a DVD-A of this album. I think this one is a bit busy for 2ch, even though it sounds good; there are too many layers at times. Like Ron, I think this one was really intended for multichannel.

This album grew on me, unlike other albums which I more or less liked immedately, this one took a while to set in. I like it, but there are still tracks I don't like.
Time Flies is definitely my favorite song on this one.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I had a chance to listen to it again. I didn't fall asleep this time, but I'm still not feeling it. Like b4 - it's not bad, but it's not grabbing me like all the previous stuff. I dunno, maybe I'll give it a few more listens b4 I make my final judgement, and see if it grows on me.

DJ

FeisalK

FeisalK

Junior Audioholic
Hawkeye is right I'm currently listening to the DVD disc with DTS track.

djreef, The good news is there WILL definitely be a DVD-A release (on K-Scope like FOaBP) but there is no date for it yet.

http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_porcupinetree/

The DVD audio version, is that going to be available outside the limited edition ?

Later it will be. A bit like we did with Blank Planet; first the special edition will have a version of the DVD and then later on we'll do perhaps an enhanced version just to sell through mail order.
I think it's better to come next year otherwise it'll have to compete with In The Court of the Crimson King for best surround mix of 2009 ;)

Last edited:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hawkeye is right I'm currently listening to the DVD disc with DTS track.

djreef, The good news is there WILL definitely be a DVD-A release (on K-Scope like FOaBP) but there is no date for it yet.

http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_porcupinetree/

I think it's better to come next year otherwise it'll have to compete with In The Court of the Crimson King for best surround mix of 2009 ;)
OK, that sounds about right. The only hint I've seen at DVD anything was the already now out of print 3 disc special edition - which is now trading for $200+. Crazy how this stuff flies right past, and becomes a collectors only item in just a matter of days.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OK, that sounds about right. The only hint I've seen at DVD anything was the already now out of print 3 disc special edition - which is now trading for $200+. Crazy how this stuff flies right past, and becomes a collectors only item in just a matter of days.

DJ
It was $169 new (for the whole set), so $200 isn't really much of a gain IMO.

I've been listening to it a lot on the 3hr drives up to our ranch, so the album has definitely grown on me. Like I said before, it has a noticeably different sound from their former stuff, but I am liking it.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The DVD-A of The Incident is up for preorder. I just ordered mine :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I started listening to Porcupine Tree when they first came on the music scene in the 90s. They have really grown on me over the years and are one of the best modern Progressive Rock bands out there.

You guys should check out the following bands as well:
  • Riverside
  • Blackfield
  • Opeth (minus their death metal songs)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I started listening to Porcupine Tree when they first came on the music scene in the 90s. They have really grown on me over the years and are one of the best modern Progressive Rock bands out there.

• Riverside
  • Blackfield
I heard some of the Blackfield II album a while back and really liked it. I couldn't find it locally, so I actually ordered it on the same order.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Osi

Has anyone seen PT live on their current tour?? They're coming to Chicago on April 30 and if anybody has some information regarding current set list I'll appreciate it. Thanks.

• Riverside
  • Blackfield
Please add OSI to your list, thank me later ;)

Last edited:
H

hillbill

Audioholic
I saw them in Cleveland in September during the first leg of the tour. They played The Incident in it's entirety, took a quick break and closed with some stuff off of the last few albums. Here's the set list from that night. Not sure what their plans are for this second leg. Are they going to continue to play The Incident? By the way, the show was incredible.

Set 1

1. Occam's Razor
2. The Blind House
3. Great Expectations
4. Kneel and Disconnect
5. Drawing the Line
6. The Incident
7. Your Unpleasant Family
8. The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train
9. Time Flies
10. Degree Zero of Liberty
11. Octane Twisted
12. The Séance
13. Circle of Manias
14. I Drive the Hearse

Set 2
16. The Start of Something Beautiful
17. Buying New Soul
18. Anesthetize (edited version)
19. Lazarus
20. Strip the Soul
21. .3
22. Bonnie the Cat

Encore
23. Mother and Child Divided
24. Trains

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
sounds like a good show

The set list looks pretty good! Thanks a lot!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis