Yamaha's RX-V2700 networking music quality

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Hi again all ,I was wondering what the owner's of Yamaha's RX-V2700 amp, thought of the sound quality of the wave files networked from the computer ?
I have all my CD's ripped to my computer in Wave form on window's media player 11 .
I did a comparison ,and although I think the quality of the sound is quite good, I was sure I noticed the bass was a little tighter with the original CD in my Yamaha CD changer. Although maybe because the CD was converted to a wave file on the computer ,there was a little loss in sound quality ,not sure .
I can't see any issues with the speed of the data transfer ,as the network card's are 100meg,and the data stream is one hundred times less. I did use about 50 feet of quality cat 5 to network my amp to my computer room .
anyone else have any opinion's on the sound quality using music from your computer to the 2700?
I do have a chance to purchace a used Yamaha CDR-HD 1300 recorder , but because of Sony's copyright protection ,the 1300 rip's from DIg,to analog back to dig again ,and I feel that the sound quality may not be worth the extra expense
Thank's Rick

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
RainMan said:
I have all my CD's ripped to my computer in Wave form on window's media player 11 . I did a comparison ,and although I think the quality of the sound is quite good, I was sure I noticed the bass was a little tighter with the original CD in my Yamaha CD changer.

A WAV file is nothing more than PCM samples with a header prepended to to those samples that describe the number of channels, sampling rate, bit depth, etc. In other words, the WAV file should be identical to the track on the CD. The only way it could possibly be different would be if the disc was extremely scratched and the player had a hard time reading it and dropped many samples - but then it would sound like something was missing, not like the bass level had been reduced.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
MDS said:
A WAV file is nothing more than PCM samples with a header prepended to to those samples that describe the number of channels, sampling rate, bit depth, etc. In other words, the WAV file should be identical to the track on the CD. The only way it could possibly be different would be if the disc was extremely scratched and the player had a hard time reading it and dropped many samples - but then it would sound like something was missing, not like the bass level had been reduced.
Well that's why I was thinking buying the CDR HD 1300 may be a waste of money ,
if in theory networking my CD's to the receiver is the same quality . Actually after reading some review's about the 1300 ,I don't think it's a good idea anyway's

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sound Quality

RainMan,
How is your CD changer connected to the receiver? Analog or Digital connection. Your comparison might be testing the A/D converters in the CD changer (w/ analog connection) to those in the receiver (computer with network connection).

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
jcPanny said:
RainMan,
How is your CD changer connected to the receiver? Analog or Digital connection. Your comparison might be testing the A/D converters in the CD changer (w/ analog connection) to those in the receiver (computer with network connection).
I have the CD player going to an optical out to the reciever

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
RainMan said:
Hi again all ,I was wondering what the owner's of Yamaha's RX-V2700 amp, thought of the sound quality of the wave files networked from the computer ?
I have all my CD's ripped to my computer in Wave form on window's media player 11 .
I did a comparison ,and although I think the quality of the sound is quite good, I was sure I noticed the bass was a little tighter with the original CD in my Yamaha CD changer. Although maybe because the CD was converted to a wave file on the computer ,there was a little loss in sound quality ,not sure .
I can't see any issues with the speed of the data transfer ,as the network card's are 100meg,and the data stream is one hundred times less. I did use about 50 feet of quality cat 5 to network my amp to my computer room .
anyone else have any opinion's on the sound quality using music from your computer to the 2700?
I do have a chance to purchace a used Yamaha CDR-HD 1300 recorder , but because of Sony's copyright protection ,the 1300 rip's from DIg,to analog back to dig again ,and I feel that the sound quality may not be worth the extra expense
Thank's Rick
Sound quality is great! I can't tell the diff between that from my pc or from the digital o/p of my cd player. The wav file is an exact copy and will be indistinguishable from the cd if both are fed digitally to your rx.

I'd recommend against the CDRH1300. Sound quality will be the usual Yamaha quality (ie. high). Capacity and user-friendliness are sub-par.

First, 80gigs will fill up quickly, and you have no way to transfer it. That means duplicating what you have on your PC.

Second, the CDRH1300 doesn't use network/internet access. You will have to use the remote to edit each cd as you rip them. I guarantee this will drive you nuts!

Have you had trouble accessing your PC music from your Yamaha. I and others have found the user-interface to be very buggy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis