gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
I'm looking to upgrade my entire home theater a bit at a time. Currently I'm using an old Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver that's just not keeping up with technology. How would the Emotiva UMC 200 + UPA 500 (or 700) stack up against the RX-V2500, as far as performance goes? Would I be disappointed?

Current speakers are old Sony towers. (VERY easy to drive)
Room dimensions: 24x14x10 (LxWxH)
Primary use: home theater.

Any other suggestions in the sub-$1000 range?

Thanks!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
What is your final goal system?

I think your approach is great (buy good stuff and build up as system as money allows), but, make sure to have a good 'plan' when buying.

For example, if your final system is going to have difficult to drive speakers instead - that changes the amplifier requirements. I tend to recommend going speakers back. (get the good speakers first, then work your way back down the chain).

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
I haven't gone out speaker testing yet, since I'd rather have the power to push speakers before I get the speakers themselves. (That way I don't get speakers, under-power them and end up disappointed)

However most of the speakers I've liked in the past (KEF, Phase Tech) and the direct-buy ones I've been curious about lately (EMPTek, Aperion) all seem to be moderately easy to drive speakers.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I tend to recommend going speakers back. (get the good speakers first, then work your way back down the chain).
Agree; there's not much point in worrying about amplification if you haven't settled on what speakers your amplifier will be driving.

With respect to the original question, I've not really seen anything to suggest that the UPA-500/UPA-700 are materially more capable than what's built into a ~$1,000 AVR. Here are some bench tests of the UPA-500 and the $1,100 Yamaha RX-A1010
Emotiva UPA-500 Five Channel Power Amplifier Measurements and Analysis | Audioholics
Yamaha RX-A1010 AVENTAGE A/V Receiver Review Measurements and Analysis | Audioholics

EmotivaYamaha
CFP-BW 1ch 8 ohms*117135*
CFP-BW 1ch 4 ohms*225173*
5ch 1kHz Sweep 8 Ohms, 1% THD82
7ch 1kHz sweep 8 ohms, 1% THD70
Dynamic Power 2 ch, 4 ohms225262
Dynamic Power 5 ch, 8 ohms125
Dynamic Power 7 ch, 8 ohms125

<tbody>
</tbody>

*Yamaha test was performed at 0.1% THD vs 1% THD for the Emotiva.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've been quite happy with the UMC since they fixed the minor bugs last year.

The difference between a $1k AVR and separates though, is you get to keep your amp when you upgrade next time :) With an AVR, it either becomes a hand me down or part of a second system, but you're out the whole unit not just the processing. Since the processing/features are what will definitely be out of favor faster than amplification ever will, I don't see the benefit of an expensive AVR anymore. I paid $1700 for my Marantz and held onto it for a long time because I spent that much on it, but it was outdated very quickly.

Alternative is also a less expensive AVR with a decent amp.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. In other circumstances, I would agree with the "buy speakers now, amplification later" route. However the driving factor of all this is a particular pain point: connectivity/useability. My display has only one HDMI input which it disables if no active signal is transmitting. My receiver has none. So I'm having to run an HDMI switcher for video and run HDMI+optical out of my devices for audio. This added layer of complexity causes the system to not communicate correctly all of the time. (Except when it does.) There's no direct HDMI input button on the TV so you have to cycle through all of the inputs to get to the HDMI port. Even with a Harmony remote and task-based options, this doesn't always work properly.

tldr; Wife doesn't like using the system in its current state. I don't mind pressing the "help" button and cycling the inputs as needed or juggling the various remotes.

Speakers might not be a priority for a couple of years yet, however as I said in my previous post, think something like either the KEF Q700's or EMPTek T55i for speakers. Farily easy-driven models.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The advantage of a GOOD HDMI switch is that it usually does so automatically and then there's always the "it works" thing. I went through a few and stuck with the Oppo unit because it worked flawlessly for me until I upgraded to the UMC. An AVR and the UMC do not automatically switch, but it is a one to two button (source select, then input select) so not much work involved.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Sounds like based on family situation, the measurements, value, and time-line... the receiver is the way to go.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. In other circumstances, I would agree with the "buy speakers now, amplification later" route. However the driving factor of all this is a particular pain point: connectivity/useability. My display has only one HDMI input which it disables if no active signal is transmitting. My receiver has none. So I'm having to run an HDMI switcher for video and run HDMI+optical out of my devices for audio. This added layer of complexity causes the system to not communicate correctly all of the time. (Except when it does.) There's no direct HDMI input button on the TV so you have to cycle through all of the inputs to get to the HDMI port. Even with a Harmony remote and task-based options, this doesn't always work properly.

tldr; Wife doesn't like using the system in its current state. I don't mind pressing the "help" button and cycling the inputs as needed or juggling the various remotes.
If you're comfortable going with factory refurbished, this ONKYO TX-NR1010 7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less ($950 shipped) is my pick. Feature rich and runs arguably the best auto EQ routine currently available in a consumer level AVR: Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (with SubEQ HT). THX Ultra2+ certification means it's capable of driving all seven channels, with 3.2Ω (min.); 89dB/1W/1m (min.) speakers hooked up, to reference level in an "Ultra2" sized room (3000ft^3 volume; 12ft+ viewing distance).

Speakers might not be a priority for a couple of years yet, however as I said in my previous post, think something like either the KEF Q700's or EMPTek T55i for speakers. Farily easy-driven models.
Both very good options. In that price range also check out the PSB Imagine X2T towers. If you can manage $1000 each when the time comes, take a look at the SVS Ultra Tower and the Aperion Audio Grand Verus Tower. I particularly like the big matching centre channels for these two towers with their tweeter-over-mid format. Probably the cream of the crop for me though is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower and matching Sierra Horizon.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The UMC-200 does offer a full PEQ so can definitely be tweaked to the room if you have the right measuring equipment and take the time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
None of the above. :D

I would get a Denon AVR. You could probably get a Denon X4000 for about $900 if you call Electronics Expo on the phone. :D

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
^ ^ Can't disagree. If a new Denon X4000 can be had for $900 that's a stand-out.

I narrowly went with the Onkyo for it's 4Ω certification so as not to limit Gellor's future speaker choices. Should point out that Onkyo has had it's fair share of HDMI board failure issues, however this doesn't appear to be a particular concern for the X010 models AFAIK.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The title of the thread says Yamaha vs. Emotiva. How about changing that "vs." to "and." A Yamaha receiver and Emotiva amp :D

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Get the umc-200 and use your rx-v2500 as an amp with the 7.1 inputs and pure direct.

It it may be an outdated receiver, but it's still a good amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis