Yamaha RXV-2500 or wait for the 2600?

I

insbordnat

Enthusiast
Okay, maybe it's more than just waiting. I'd also have to pony up a lot of extra cabbage.

Even waiting for the 1600 would be much more green too.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to drive the following (all Axioms):

2x M50ti
1x VP100
2x M3ti

And eventually connect a sub to be named at a later date.

Not too many things to connect: Sony KDS-R50XBR1 SXRD Display, DVD, PS2/3, and of course my Technics SL1200MK2's and Vestax mixer from time to time.

Do the new features of the 2600 or even the 1600 outweigh the cost at this point, especially considering what I am connecting? :confused:

Thanks.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
insbordnat said:
Okay, maybe it's more than just waiting. I'd also have to pony up a lot of extra cabbage.

Even waiting for the 1600 would be much more green too.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to drive the following (all Axioms):

2x M50ti
1x VP100
2x M3ti

And eventually connect a sub to be named at a later date.

Not too many things to connect: Sony KDS-R50XBR1 SXRD Display, DVD, PS2/3, and of course my Technics SL1200MK2's and Vestax mixer from time to time.

Do the new features of the 2600 or even the 1600 outweigh the cost at this point, especially considering what I am connecting? :confused:

Thanks.

I am not sure what those new features are but most likely you need to answer that question. Do you need the extra features, or are they just bells and whistles? Those speakers are not a difficult load, a consideration.

I

insbordnat

Enthusiast
More thoughts.

After reading that 11 page monster thread after Gene's announcement, a few thoughts.

First off, most of the advantages seem to be with respect to HDMI. My understanding is that HDMI enables a source, such as a DVD player, to upscale the signal to appear better than the 480p (albeit not in HD quality).

Although I enjoy movies and sports, I think one of the main reasons I'm doing my system up is primarily for music playback. And the reason I'm not gunning for more speaker firepower is because of my neighbors and a 12'x19' living room (the shorter dimension being the distance front to back).

I don't have a big budget (2,500-3,000 on audio) and I'd rather save on features that really aren't critical. I figure for power I can always add a few monoblocks, and I'll have to "suffer" w/o HDMI...

...unless there is another receiver I may consider...but $615 for the 2500 is pretty tasty.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Go for it

Go for the cheeper receiver and use the money you saved on better speakers. HDMI wont improve your audio quality but better speakers will. You can still connect a single component (i.e. DVD) directly to your TV via HDMI and you can always add an external HDMI switch for about $300 if you need it down the road.

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
I think the 2500 would be a great choice for you. Very great receiver at that price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis