Yamaha RX-Z9 vs Denon 4806

M

Maddys

Audioholic Intern
While shopping around last night, the salesman lead me over to the RX-Z9, he said it had much better sound processing than the Denon.

Does anyone have a thought on this?

Michael

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The RX Z9 is a true flagship receiver and probably a better unit than the Denon 4806 as far as power, pre outs, and dsp modes. The 4806 on the other hand pretty much has every feature you could want today. When Yamaha updates the aging RX Z9, it will most likely compare to/surpass the 5805.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Maddys said:
While shopping around last night, the salesman lead me over to the RX-Z9, he said it had much better sound processing than the Denon.
Michael

If you need that different sound processing, then that is what you want. But, you may never use any of the fancy processing, then it is a waste. Both components are fine gear by great makers. Buy what features you will use, not what someone else tells you you need.

D

DR_AUDIO

Enthusiast
Maddys said:

Michael

The Yamaha is outstanding in sound and has video processing as well. The only thing it lacks is HDMI, which may be a stopper for some. Firewire is fully activated for SACD and DVD-A as well as CD and digital audio for video. Beats all those cables.

T

thxgoon

Junior Audioholic
Maddys said:

Michael
If you can affoard the extra 1000 bucks, the Z9 is one of the best sounding units out there. I wouldn't hesitate. And I love Denon.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have a Yamaha DSP-A3090 which has something like 50 soundfields. I only used 2 - Dolby ProLogic (for TV and Tapes) and Dobly Digital (for DVD). Never used any of the other soundfields. I now have a Denon 3805 in my dedicated HT and the Yamaha will go in the living room 5.1 setup.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
It seems to me that we are compairing apples to oranges. Shouldn't the propper compairison be 5805 to the Z9? Or maybe the 4806 to the Yammy 4600?

The Yammy is a sweet unit. But so is Denon. Go with what sounds best to you, as well and money and features. That is what I would do.

For me I would go with the 4806 if I had lots of money to spend.
Yammy 4600 if I wanted HDMI Switching and money was an issue.

Another thing some one hit on...are you going to be using all that stuff? Seperate zones, HDMI switching. Are you going to put a seperate power amp in the system? That type of stuff changes things for sure.

T

thxgoon

Junior Audioholic
Snap said:
It seems to me that we are compairing apples to oranges. Shouldn't the propper compairison be 5805 to the Z9? Or maybe the 4806 to the Yammy 4600?
Not necessarily. The 4806 is internally very similar to the 5803, Denon's last flagship and I'd say more similar to the Z9 than the 5805. The RX-V4600 is closer to a 2500 in performance but adds HDMI and all the goodies. Between flagships I think the Z9 is about as good as they get.

T

thxgoon

Junior Audioholic
Maddys, if there is any way you can coax your salesman into showing you the Z9 with 9 speakers hooked up I suggest you take a listen. I know most aren't big fans of dsp in favor of the more 'purist' approach, but to me the presence speakers coupled with yamahas dsp really added to the sound environment in a subtle way. It is something to take a listen to as it may tip the scale for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis