Yamaha RX-Z9 -or- Anthem Statement D1

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I just spoke to an Engineer at Sonic Frontiers (Anthem), very nice and knowledgeable. His responses regarding i.Link support were a little vague but I gathered they plan on eventually supporting SACD via i.link but converting it to PCM (again not necessarily a bad thing). I set forth a series of technical questions to him via email and await responses to update our First Look article accordingly. Upon speaking with the engineer, it was obvious to me much thought went into the design of this product. Stay tuned for more...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
John;'

Yes and I did update the First Look Article accordingly, check it out.

Also, I am waiting on further info from Anthem along with them filling out my A/V Checklist.

K

kmmd

Audiophyte
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the information. I agree with your assessments of the DAC's. I do have a question for you. Did Anthem/SFI/Paradigm release any information as to where the DSD -> PCM conversion will be performed? I have checked the block diagrams of the major digital components (Motorola processor, Analog Devices upsampler in addition to the AKM DAC), but I do not see that capability. Am I missing something, or does Anthem plan to incorporate another part if it's not there already?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Kmmd;

I too am puzzled by this which is why we initially suspected a DAC upgrade to a 4396 with DSD interface support would be needed. I do have action items in for Anthem to answer some of these questions and will update the article accordingly when the info comes to us.

K

kmmd

Audiophyte
Thanks Gene. I look forward to the response as well.

Post edited to add:
BTW, I was just thinking, doesn't a DSD -> PCM conversion introduce the possiblity of increased jitter? Just wondering...

Last edited:
K

kmmd

Audiophyte
Hi Gene,

Just wondering if you've heard anything from Anthem regarding your e-mail sent exactly one week ago. This is highly uncharacteristic of them, because they usually respond very quickly from my experience. Thanks.

K

kmmd

Audiophyte
Thanks for the update Gene.

Unfortunately, there is still no info on how or where DSD -> PCM for SACDs' will be performed. Oh well, I guess we'll just wait and see. I do look forward to Anthem's White Paper.

Also, with firewire/i.Link/1394 being incorporated, do you know if there will some type of a clock sychronization between the AVM20/30/D1 and the player? Will this even be posssible as one will be using players of different brands that have their own proprietary synchonization methods such as the Pioneer Quartz Locking System (PQLS) and DENON Clock Synchronized System (DCSS)? This would be nice in order to minimize, if not eliminate, jitter during data transmission from player to pre/pro.

E

expletive

Enthusiast
kmmd said:
Thanks for the update Gene.

Unfortunately, there is still no info on how or where DSD -> PCM for SACDs' will be performed. Oh well, I guess we'll just wait and see. I do look forward to Anthem's White Paper.

Also, with firewire/i.Link/1394 being incorporated, do you know if there will some type of a clock sychronization between the AVM20/30/D1 and the player? Will this even be posssible as one will be using players of different brands that have their own proprietary synchonization methods such as the Pioneer Quartz Locking System (PQLS) and DENON Clock Synchronized System (DCSS)? This would be nice in order to minimize, if not eliminate, jitter during data transmission from player to pre/pro.
How does the Denon 5900 convert DSD to PCM?

John

K

kmmd

Audiophyte
Originally posted by Expletive:
How does the DVD-5900 convert DSD to PCM?
After the Sony CXD-2753 Second Generation DSD Decoder (again not mentioned in the D1), I believe that the data goes directly to the Analog Devices SHARC Melody 100 Audio Processor. Pages 3 and 4 of the data sheet, provided in the above link, highlights the key features and hardware architecture of this 32-bit processor.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How does the Denon 5900 convert DSD to PCM?
There is a top level block diagram of the DVD-5900 located here:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon_DVD-5900p2.html

The DVD-5900 DAC's can support both formats natively but does go through PCM conversion to handle Bass Management and Time Alignment which is done in the DSP.

Note sure about Anthem but next time I speak with them, I will inquire. I assume it has to be in DSP since the dacs don't support SACD.

Either way it doesn't sound like much of an issue.

M

MrEman

Yamaha vs Anthem?

Loved my Yamaha DSP-A1
Upgraded to RX-V1 (big mistake)

Took my Yamaha RX-V1 back for repairs 3 times (2 times under Warranty 1 time out of warranty).
Yamaha reps admitted to several known defects.
After much heated discussion and lots of $$$ with Yamaha, my RX-V1 went for sale on the used equipment rack.

Anthem V2.0, with Anthem MCA 50 & MCA 20 amps, is by far superior in EVERY way! Not even any comparison!
Had some firmware/feature suggestions for the Anthem engineers and they actually incorporated them in the following revision!!! Wow!
Unlike Yamaha Anthem has an awesome product and incredible service too!
Looking forward to upgrade to the Anthem Statement D1

My money is the most powerful statement I can make.
All Yamaha products have been BANNED from this house!

M

mitch57

Audioholic
Another item of note is the enormous amount of heat the RX Z9 generates! I was at a GoodGuys store the other day and the receiver was sitting out in the open with plenty of ventilation and it was still to hot to touch.

I suspect that with that amount of heat being generated that it has the potential to shorten the life of the receiver to some degree. Heat kills electronics.

U

Unregistered

Z9 Rocks but...

I've owned my Yamaha Z9 now for about 4 months. Very happy with it but for the last 2 weeks it's been turning off without input from the remote or anything for that matter. It is also difficult to turn on, sometimes I have to push the "on" button sever times before it will stay on. Finally, today, I wrapped the cord around it and took it in the Circuit City (Thankfully, I purchased an ESP). Hope they figure out what is wrong with it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Check your speaker connections. Perhaps you have a short causing the protection circuits to kick in?

Circuit City sells Yamaha Z9's? Thats news to me :)

U

Unregistered

D1 and Lexicon MC-8b

Guys,

I am on the final stages of the design of my HT (hurrah). I was going to go with the Lexicon MC 8b. However, reading the reviews and your posts on the Anthem D1 made me think that it might be a better value (same quaility and better price). Another issue is that the D1 seems more future proof as it is a newer design.

I sent an email to the Lexicon guys about an eventual DVI upgrande and they said that it will not happen as it would demand extensive redisign.

Any thoughts?

Best Reagrds,

John Michael

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
John;

The D1 looks like a hard to beat processor. After they upgrade it for i.link and HDMI, we will likely be doing a review on it. But it looks really good, at least on paper that is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis