Yamaha RX-Z9 First Look

W

walt_nixon

Enthusiast
W4ZOO,

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner, but I've been on the road since 8/2 and just got back in town. Thanks for the link to the upgrade. I talked to Denon and am sending my unit into their NJ facility today for their *FREE* (you gotta love that) upgrade that will make everything fine. Appreciate all of the help and suggestions I've gotten on the forum. I have another question which I will post separately.

Walt

W

walt_nixon

Enthusiast
Z9 reset question...

In trying to make the IEEE1394 connection to my DVD-5900 work I reconfigured the living heck out of my Z9. I note that David Ranada, in his Sound and Video review says there is a way to reset the unit, but that it's not disclosed in the manual. I have perused the manual from cover to cover several times (it was my reading material on a just completed 12 day business trip) and can find no reference to resetting the unit. Gene, in your review I didn't see any reference to resetting the unit. Is anyone aware of a way to reset all of the parameters to the factory presets? Once I get my DVD-5900 back from Denon I'd like to start over configuring the system from scratch. :eek:

W

walt_nixon

Enthusiast
Replying to my own question. Boy do I feel like an ***...

Someone has very helpfully pointed out a .pdf document accessible through Yamaha's site map that gives explicit instructions for resetting the Z9. Consider this case closed.

Walt Nixon

W

W4ZOO

Audioholic Intern
walt_nixon said:
Replying to my own question. Boy do I feel like an ***...

Someone has very helpfully pointed out a .pdf document accessible through Yamaha's site map that gives explicit instructions for resetting the Z9. Consider this case closed.

Walt Nixon
Walt,

Please post the URL so we all don't feel like an ***...

U

Unregistered

What Dynamic Range Setting?

In the Z9's audio settings, you can set Dynamic Range Compression from "Max, Std, Min". They don't explain very much what exactly Dynamic Range Compression means, but in general I was assuming you'd want as little compression as possible so I set mine to "Min", but it seems it actually sounds better to me in "Std", anyone care to shed some light on this subject? Thanks.

U

Unregistered

Yamaha is very confusing...even for simple matters.

I believe 'Std' is equivalent to NONE; ie no compression at all - full dynamic range as recorded.

Min and Max are as their name implies - a little bit of compression or alot of compression.

T

troytn

Audioholic Intern
I read online that you can Bi-wire the RX-z9 by running one set of speakers leads to the speaker A terminal and the another set to the speaker B terminal. By doing this what would you gain?
Most receivers you would have to run both leads from a single speaker into one speaker hookup.

I assume all the YAPO and internal setting would not change?

Troy

W

W4ZOO

Audioholic Intern
Unregistered said:
Yamaha is very confusing...even for simple matters.

I believe 'Std' is equivalent to NONE; ie no compression at all - full dynamic range as recorded.

Min and Max are as their name implies - a little bit of compression or alot of compression.
You wan't to set the Dynamic range to MAX (no Compression). Standard and Min are refering to the amount of Range , not the amount of compression.

K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
W4ZOO said:
You wan't to set the Dynamic range to MAX (no Compression). Standard and Min are refering to the amount of Range , not the amount of compression.
Yeah, You leave the default setting, MAX. The settings do not reffer to the amount of compression, but to the dynamic range.

You want the MAX amount of dynamic range. If you set it to MIN (as i did originally thinking it was the other way around) you will not get the full sound impact, it will be keeping the sound to the MIN amout of range as possible, gunshots will be the same volume as speech. It is worse than having night mode turned on.

So yeah, leave it on the default of MAX.

KJ

K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
troytn said:
I read online that you can Bi-wire the RX-z9 by running one set of speakers leads to the speaker A terminal and the another set to the speaker B terminal. By doing this what would you gain?
Most receivers you would have to run both leads from a single speaker into one speaker hookup.

I assume all the YAPO and internal setting would not change?

Troy
pg. 19 (or 20, i have two manuals here) says

"This unit also allows you to make bi-wired connections to one speaker system. Use two pairs of cables for each speaker (one pair for the woofer and one pari for the tweeter/mid-range). To use the bi-wired connections, press SPEAKERS A and SPEAKERS B on the front panel so that both SP A and B light up on the front panel display.

But it also says that the Canada model cannot output two seperate speaker systems simultaneusly."

That is how they reccomend to bi-wire your speakers from the Z9

but if using the bi-wired connections of the Z9, and if this will have a 'huge' effect on your speakers it debatable, it is possible on some speakers it might, on others it may not.

KJ

U

Unregistered

Rxz9

Does anyone else have cooling problems with the yamie beast. I have it in a custom enclosure with the front and rear open, with 6 inches clearance on the top and 2 inches clearance on each side. The unit has never shut off, yet runs hot.

U

Unregistered

RX-Z9 Just Runs Hot

As I believe Gene mentioned in his review, the fans and heatsinks on the RX-Z9 aren't exactly as beefy as you'd think they should be and they're not oriented in an ideal manner. Apparently the cooling efficiency of the unit is a bit compromised. Not compromised so that anything will fry, just that the fans will be on more often. I have my RX-Z9 with less space above it than you but I've yet to hear the fans go on, it runs warmer than my Marantz did, but not hot enough that I'd be concerned.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Cooling the RXZ9

I too have not heard the fans engage, however I have not pushed the envelope yet. I just know from past electronics gear, that the cooler it runs, the longer it lasts. I also would like to see a HDMI hardware and software upgrade for it, if thats feasable. How do you guys have your RXZ9 outfitted or enclosed?

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Volume level

I had one other question, what level do you listen to movies at or music, I seem to have to really turn the knob quite a bit to get the thing moving. I am using the B&W 602s2's, the large bookshelves?

O

O'Shag

Junior Audioholic
Using External Preamp and amp for front channels

I've been enjoying my Z9 immensely, and for its primary function, that of a HT reciever/DSP/Multi-channel processor, it sets a new standard.

However I've compared my audio only two-channel system, even to the multi-channel music amplification capabilities of the Z9, and there is no doubt that my audio system is in a different league. I don't mean to speak badly of the Z9, which I think is great.

What I would like to do, if practical, is combine the best of both worlds, using my Z9 as a terrific processor especially for multi-channel music formats.

This would mean hooking up my audio research SP6e preamp, and my Audio Research Classic 120 monoblocs and BL1 balanced line driver (through the SP6e) into the Z9. I have to figure out if it is appropriate to have my source devices hooked into the Z9 outputs or the SP6e outputs. My main reason for considering this, is to take advantage of the excellent DSP capabilities of the Z9 and most importantly to combine best of class amplification for the front channels while using the Z9s amplifiers for the other channels in multi-channel SACD or DVD-A.

I would really appreciate any feedback on this.

U

Unregistered

I would look into using one of the zone outs on the RX-Z9 into your other pre-amp.

Cheers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
OShag;

Did you determine that the "better" audio fidelity was a result of your preamp, power amps, or combo of both? IF you think its mostly the amps, try avoiding a cabling and configuring headache and simply preamp out your Z9 to the outboard amps you have. ON the flip side I could see you not wanting to waste your excellent preamp either. It however would be interesting if you could subjectively determine what combo of your other gear is leading to the perceived better audio performance for critical music listening.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
O'Shag said:
I've been enjoying my Z9 immensely, and for its primary function, that of a HT reciever/DSP/Multi-channel processor, it sets a new standard.

However I've compared my audio only two-channel system, even to the multi-channel music amplification capabilities of the Z9, and there is no doubt that my audio system is in a different league. I don't mean to speak badly of the Z9, which I think is great.

What I would like to do, if practical, is combine the best of both worlds, using my Z9 as a terrific processor especially for multi-channel music formats.

This would mean hooking up my audio research SP6e preamp, and my Audio Research Classic 120 monoblocs and BL1 balanced line driver (through the SP6e) into the Z9. I have to figure out if it is appropriate to have my source devices hooked into the Z9 outputs or the SP6e outputs. My main reason for considering this, is to take advantage of the excellent DSP capabilities of the Z9 and most importantly to combine best of class amplification for the front channels while using the Z9s amplifiers for the other channels in multi-channel SACD or DVD-A.

I would really appreciate any feedback on this.
I sympathize with you as I believe no reciever on earth can better the sonic qualities of excellent separates.

You could use the z9 preouts mated to your AR monoblocks for fronts and use the z9's other internal amps for the other channels. But that would essentially render your BL1 and SP6e redundant and unnecessary.

Alternatively, you could still use your existing stereo setup. But only in analog mode and this essentially bypasses the Z9's digital processing features. With a universal player, connect the player's analog front L and R through your usual stereo set-up and route the player's center and surround L and R to your Z9. That way, the Z9 only processes the center and surrounds. You can then listen straight stereo with the Z9 off. Then multichannel and HT with the Z9 on. But then, you may not get all the digital processing features of the Z9.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
yamaha RXZ9 trade up?

Has anyone seen the new Denon 5805 mega receiver and thought of converting for the 6100.00 dollar price tag? More power and HDMI switching, is it worth it? please post your comments on this

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis