Yamaha RX-V863 AV Receiver Overview

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Does it support HDMI V1.3 Switching with V1.1 Repeating?
Does what have HDMI 1.1 repeating? All the receivers mentioned in this thread (at least within the last few posts) have been HDMI 1.3 repeating.

B

bafroggy

Audiophyte
switch to 240v ???

Hi guys ,
Has anyone got an idea about a switch on the motherboard to convert from 110v to 240v on the yamaha rx-v661??? please send me a answer cheers.

D

DARTH PAUL

Audiophyte
What does support for 120Hz refresh mean? Is there a 120Hz source?

T

teukros

Enthusiast
Dumb question time:

1) It does tune AM/FM stations.... right?

2) If the answer is yes, does it do a good job pulling in FM signals and keeping them separated (I live in Harlem)? If not, would it be able to accept input from a FM Tuner if I ever purchased one?

3) Amazon.com lists a RX-V863BL. I'm assuming the BL just means black color (the Amazon.com listing is for the same price as the Audioholics.com listing, but with free shipping)?

4) I read in a review of the RX-V1800(BL) that the sound is "'accurate' instead of 'euphonic'". I'm not quite clear on what that means but... would the RX-V863 be a good amp for all of my Bach, Mozart, and et al. CDs?

(and yes, I do want the HD radio, the video upscaling etc.)

Thanks

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Yes it does FM. But if there is a down side to many AV receivers, Yamaha for one, it is in the tuner sensitivity. My older 2 channel Receiver does a much better job of tuning Fm stations.
You would be able to hook up a separate tuner without any trouble.

Yes. BL stands for black.

I'm not really sure what euphonic means,:eek: In general all receivers in this price range will sound pretty much the same after proper calibration.

Personal opinion here: the 663 is the beat "bang for buck" of the Yamaha's right now. But I would consider the 1800 before the 863. the biggest advantage the x63 series has over the x800, for my purposes anyway, is the larger numeric volume read-out. It may seem trivial but the 1800/3800 volume display leaves much to be desired.

T

teukros

Enthusiast
Thanks. That's about what I figured. I was considering purchasing a Cayin tuner (if I could afford it), or a Teac TR-670 (if I couldn't).

I've already compared the RX-V1800 to the RX-V863 at the Yamaha website (I didn't see any mention of FM tuning however :rolleyes: ). But the 1800 is heavier, presumably it generates more heat, and it costs 300 dollars more! And it doesn't do HD Radio!

Tonight I will compare the 863 and the 663.

Oh and J&R also sells the 863 for 900 dollars, with free shipping. So if I do get that I will support the local store. :D

Last edited:
T

teukros

Enthusiast
Sorry for replying to myself (and for going somewhat off topic), but I was comparing the 863 and 663 (and I read the Audioholics review of the 663), and then I checked out the price. 430 dollars!?? :eek: The 863 costs 470 dollars more!!

Naturally this forced me to reconsider. :rolleyes:

The video upscaling would be nice.... I think. But is it worth so much? Most of the time I don't even wear my glasses when watching tv. And who really cares how crappy CNN looks? :p

And HD radio would also be nice. But again, the price difference is huge.

I was considering purchasing a AM/FM tuner anyway, so I went searching for a HD/AM/FM tuner and was surprised to find one that looks pretty reasonable: the Sangean HDT-1. 200 bucks through Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? How is the FM reception compared with that of the Teac TR-670 AM/FM tuner?

Are there any other HD/AM/FM tuners I should consider?

J

JStew

Enthusiast
Sorry for replying to myself (and for going somewhat off topic), but I was comparing the 863 and 663 (and I read the Audioholics review of the 663), and then I checked out the price. 430 dollars!?? :eek: The 863 costs 470 dollars more!!

Naturally this forced me to reconsider. :rolleyes:

The video upscaling would be nice.... I think. But is it worth so much? Most of the time I don't even wear my glasses when watching tv. And who really cares how crappy CNN looks? :p

And HD radio would also be nice. But again, the price difference is huge.

I was considering purchasing a AM/FM tuner anyway, so I went searching for a HD/AM/FM tuner and was surprised to find one that looks pretty reasonable: the Sangean HDT-1. 200 bucks through Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? How is the FM reception compared with that of the Teac TR-670 AM/FM tuner?

Are there any other HD/AM/FM tuners I should consider?
One of three or four various reasons why I'm going with the 863 is precisely what you're saying here. I want the HD incorporated into the receiver. I have the Sangean HDT-1 and it works great. The FM sounds super and AM is really much much better than "normal" AM, but it takes up space where the 863 already has it. I haven't received my 863 yet (purchased it here and it's on the way), but once I get it, I'll be boxing up and selling my HDT-1 for $100.00 since I won't have any use for it.

The HDT-1 is a very good tuner, but if there's a flaw, it's in its clock. The clock runs slow and has to be updated about once a week. If you're not obsessed with time accuracy, it's a good tuner.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
been reading thru and thinking about this unit or the yam 663
will this upconvert my 480i-1080i anaolg/component to 1080p hdmi ?

is there a manual for this thing floating around ?

J

JStew

Enthusiast
been reading thru and thinking about this unit or the yam 663
will this upconvert my 480i-1080i anaolg/component to 1080p hdmi ?

is there a manual for this thing floating around ?
It's on Yamaha's website.

A

agray

Audiophyte
RX-V863/ 120hz refresh rate?

I had a quick question, i recently purchased the V863 and noticed that the HDMI pass through isnt rated @ 120hz, as stated in the overview (1080i&p) but instead is rated @ only 60hz. Did I miss something and whats the real difference between 120 vs 60hz?

S

scooterp7

Audioholic Intern
So I just got around to connecting my 863 for 2 ch listening. I finally disconnected my 800VA/600W 42 lb Yammy cr-2040 and replaced it with this 26 lb. 500VA/400W receiver. (sniffle). Can someone tell me, for just 2 channel music, is the 863 really an upgrade, SQ wise, from my vintage beast?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis