Yamaha RX-V757 + JBL SCS200.7

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
hello, i'm kind of in a budget so everything looks like this is the setup i'll have to plunk down a couple of hundreds for.

do you have any comments good or bad before i go ahead with this ?

would really appreciate your feedback.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i bought a similar setup about a year ago.

i bought the yamaha rx-v 640 and the JBL SCS 150 (the 5.1 model of your 7.1 200 i think)

and now i have bought new speakers. my point is, you WILL want better sound ... sound those satellites wont be able to produce. you are better off saving a little bit more and buying "bookshelf" speakers

also, the sub that is included doesnt have enough power, doesnt go low enough, etc. etc. etc.

if you have other questions dont hesitate to ask. i just dont want you to make the same mistake i did. im actually considering using my jbl 5.1 as a 5ch stereo FOR MY PC

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
Thanks Mike ! that's the feedback i wanted to get.

what speakers did you buy, i'd consider them even if presumably i will go over budget.

also, i've been offered a mirage nanosat set, but for about twice the price of the jbl :eek:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how much is your budget?

you can see from my "signature" (below my every post) the links to what i purchased. although those are pretty far from your budget (even mine) i am glad i bought them.

anyway, i presume you want to use these speakers for movies.
i can't recommend other speakers i haven't heard so here are the ones i tested:

Infinity Primus 150 or 160 (depending on your budget)
review of the 150 here
Infinity Beta 10
B&W 600 s3

OR

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRIMUSTPBK&series=PRI&cat=HCS

i dont know how much that is but you can just buy the primus 150 or 160 to use as your front left and right and you can use that set for the rest of the speakers. (you have to add more moolah for the sub though)

OR

you can check out the "axiom" "bic" brands a lot of posters here rave about
(i hope jaxvon our resident expert chimes in)

my point is, any bookshelf speaker from a good brand will trump the SCS 200 satellites any day.

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I would suggest the following setup: Athena .5 speakers $200 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002H6M0S/104-0615315-3551146?v=glance
and an advent sub from parts express dot com for $99. For what it's worth I really would suggest a better sub but I'm trying to stay somewhat close to your original budget. The extra money is very worth it. That JBL setup is a POS in my opinion, and it is an opinion based on past experience. I started with a jbl HTIB and progressed to my current setup which is Marantz and PSB based so it is out of the region you are looking to spend. I have heard the Athena .5 setup and I'll tell you this, it will utterly destroy that JBL setup in terms of both sound and build quality.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Here is a quick extra 100 bucks for speakers. Get the RX-V657 instead of the 757. You are paying a 100bucks for 5 watts a chan more. Screw the 5 watts and put the 100 bucks toward your speakers.

Speakers are the best way to improve your HT. Spend the MOST ammount of money that you possibly can on speakers. Then slowly get better other stuff.

Phase Tech will blow Infinty away and they are priced (some lines) the same as infinity. If you have to go with Sat speakers. Energy makes some awesome ones. Also I hate to say it...but Def Tech Pro Cinima 60's are hard to beet for under 700 bucks for the whole system.

But that is just my .02 cents.

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
guys, thanks a lot for the replies, you have made me research quite a bit more than i previously did :)

the most important first reaction is to drop JBL from consideration altogether (as mike mentioned and everybody else added to it or implied the same).

the next thing that happened is that i had one decent sales guy show me a marantz sr-4500 + def tech pro cinema 60 (and i find it an unbelievable coincidence the fact that snap mentioned it in his post :eek: )
i need to add that the sound those 2 delivered blew my ears off :)

i checked mike_c suggestions but they were a tad out of my league ($).

so right now im on a pensative mood and i will list my considerations:

rx-v757 + athena .5 + advent sub
i really love this setup (thx takeereasy for the awesome amazon promo) + free shipping for both speakers + this will keep me on budget

sr-4500 + def tech pro cinema 60
well this is what i personally heard and it was gooooooood. but sr-4500 is only 80w x chan, so i'm not sure about that .. maybe i need at least 95w ?

rx-v657 + def tech pro cinema 60
there you are. 95w + on budget, i could even start a 3 month diet and go for the rx-v757 :)

i will still do more research on the marantz sr-4500, maybe look at a higher model (sr-5400 or sr-5600) even if the sr-5600 will only go up to 90w.

thank to everyone. i'll keep you posted.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yes, please keep us posted.

how big is your room?

be happy that any one of your new choices is worlds better than the JBL :)

also, try to get bookshelves over satellites (if possible)

Last edited:
Snap

Snap

Audioholic
lboregard said:
rx-v657 + def tech pro cinema 60
there you are. 95w + on budget, i could even start a 3 month diet and go for the rx-v757 :)

thank to everyone. i'll keep you posted.
How about the RX-V657 and either the Def Tech Cin 70's or the Phase Tech ATS-1 system? Sorry I just can't justify the jump from the 657 to the 757. Maybe the jump to the 1500. But not the 757.

Any chance or diets, spend on better speakers. Also do not be fooled by the Marantz power. You said yourself that it sounded awesome. Marantz makes a KILLER reciever. Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company. Call customer support same number for either line.

Happy hunting!

Snap

EDIT: Forgot one thing. The Def Techs you will have to buy Omni Mount 10.0 to mount them to the walls. The Phase Tech ATS-1 comes with its own Mount/Stand. So that saves you 30 bucks a speaker when it comes to mounts. Just thought I would throw that in as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis