Yamaha rx-v673 or Denon 2113CI

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
I was looking for a receiver for my new home theater system and found a great deal a week ago on a Yamaha rx-v673 on clearance at BB for $250. Now this week I have found the Denon 2113CI on clearance at BB for $350. I still am within the return window for returning the Yamaha avr.

Looking for advice. Should I keep the Yamaha at $250 or return it and get the Denon for $100 more. Any savings just gets allocated to speakers.

I have not purchased an AVR since 2002 so shopping for a new one was a rather confusing experience for me with all the changes in technology.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Looking for additional input - only have a few more days where I can get the Denon cheap.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Man If I had the money I'd get that Yamaha Advantage that is a bargain. I know you want good stuff and that's the creme de la creme of Yamaha and you won't have to upgrade for a long time. My 3 cents.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Very little difference between the 673 and A720. They will sound identical. Only major difference between the Yamaha and Denon is the automatic room correction software.

The Denon uses Audessey XT which is probable better than the version of YPAO that Yamaha uses on the 673. Other than that it's a toss up. So if you feel better room correction is worth an extra $100 then get the Denon if not you won't be missing out on anything by keeping the Yamaha.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Yamaha AVRs on the average are significantly more reliable than Denon...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha AVRs on the average are significantly more reliable than Denon...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Good to know since I have two but how do you know? This is right about when I want to say that H/K is the best just to drive PENG crazy because saying that does make him a little nuts and I know he likes Denon.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good to know since I have two but how do you know? This is right about when I want to say that H/K is the best just to drive PENG crazy because saying that does make him a little nuts and I know he likes Denon.
I never have problem with either products and only prefer Denon because of Audyssey. I do not believe one is more reliable than the other let alone "significantly". Insider information does not necessarily mean credible either regardless, unless the information is open to public scrutiny.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
We know..
Because we sell/install both brands being a certified CEDIA installer for many years...
Also we have done product development/software validation for both mentioned brands as well as others. The Denon AVRs are actually assembled by Sherwood, Yamaha designs and builds their AVRs in their own factories...

Just my $0.02... ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
No...
The Denon manuals are done by themselves, the creative team originally was in Japan now located in China. Note they have to do multple version in different languages, so they take the English draft and then translated..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To the OP - does one or the other have any features or connections that you want that aren't on the other model? That's one of the first things that I would look at.

Power-wise, they look similar. I own the Denon AVR-E400, which is similar to the 2113 (not quite as capable, but similar in power). It could drive my speakers no problem, even at loud volumes. The Denon remote won't control other devices, but the Yamaha's will. I'm not an Audyssey fan because it can't store more than one configuration, but from skimming the manual for the 663, it can't either (I have two seating positions that require different timing adjustments for the speakers - so, I prefer Pioneer's MCACC system).

D

Dunbrook

Audiophyte
To buy factory refurbished or not...

Man If I had the money I'd get that Yamaha Advantage that is a bargain. I know you want good stuff and that's the creme de la creme of Yamaha and you won't have to upgrade for a long time. My 3 cents.

I'm in the market for a new HTR and was ready to go for the RX-V673 for $499 off Amazon, but that is a great deal $399 for the RX-A720 factory refurbished. Have you ever purchased factory refurb equipment? I haven't, so a little hesitant to go this route without feedback from others. Comes with factory 1 year warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would never buy another refurbished AVR or electronics.

If there were nothing wrong with the AVR in the first place, it would have never been sent to the factory for refurbishing. There would be no need. They don't send the AVR back to factory just because someone returns the AVR back to the store. That's call an open-box item.

I will buy an open-box item, which has the same warranty as a brand new item.

But IMO it's best to get your local Best Buy to price-match any AVR you find online from Amazon, Newegg, Tiger, etc.

And I would buy a Denon AVR for the Audyssey Dynamic EQ . ;)

D

Dunbrook

Audiophyte
Understood. Even with a 4 year warranty added on to the factory 1 year? I'm just trying to get into a decent multi-zone receiver, for multi-room music and watching movies (not necessarily at the same time).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm in the market for a new HTR and was ready to go for the RX-V673 for $499 off Amazon, but that is a great deal $399 for the RX-A720 factory refurbished. Have you ever purchased factory refurb equipment? I haven't, so a little hesitant to go this route without feedback from others. Comes with factory 1 year warranty.
I bought from them with no problems. I had my Onkyo for 2 years until it drowned in sandy. If you're nervous just get the 2 year warranty. I would not hesitate to buy from them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis