Yamaha RX-V663BL 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver $399

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha RX-V663BL 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver $399 at JR.com if you pre-order by phone.

www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4219055

HDMI switching with 1080p video pass-through / iPod and Bluetooth Audio Compatibility / Cinema DSP / Four SCENE Buttons / XM and SIRIUS Satellite Ready

The RX-V663BL 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver features full support for HD Audio formats, HDMI Video Upconversion and deinterlacing, iPod and Bluetooth audio compatibility, improved YPAO, Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control), multi-zone custom installation facility, and four SCENE buttons. Four SCENE buttons make operating the receiver easier than ever. Two volume-setting functions are included on this receiver for additional convenience. Initial Volume Setting allows you to set the volume level that will be heard each time the power is turned on. Maximum Volume Setting prevents unexpected loud sounds. You have a choice of eight unique CINEMA DSP Surround programs to bring out the full audio potential of your entertainment sources. The RX-V563BL receiver is capable of delivering large amounts of reserve power for accurate reproduction of high-energy peaks that are especially prevalent in digital audio sources.
HD Audio format support: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio
7-channel 665W powerful surround sound (95W x 7)
Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
Pure Direct for higher fidelity sound reproduction
Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs used in all channels
Assignable amplifiers to bi-amp connection
4 SCENE buttons offering greater operating ease with 18 preset SCENE templates
XM ready with XM HD Surround powered by Neural Surround
Sirius Satellite Radio ready
Improved YPAO for automatic speaker setup
iPod compatibility via Optional dock
Bluetooth A2DP compatibility with optional YBA-10 Wireless Audio Receiver
Superior multi-zone control compatibility
1080p-compatible HDMI (2 inputs, 1 output)
Analog video to HDMI digital video upconversion and deinterlacing with TBC
Fine-tuned CINEMA DSP and Adaptive DSP level
Improved Compressed Music Enhancer
Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
40-station preset Tuning / Auto preset tuning
HD Audio LPCM 7.1-channel reception (up to 192kHz)
8-channel or 6-channel external input
Speaker A, B, A+B selection
Preset remote unit
Frequency Response: 10Hz-100kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 DB (250 mV)
Dimensions: Width 17-1/9" x Height 6-3/4" x Depth 15-1/2" (435x171x393mm)
Weight: 32 pounds (14.5 kg)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Nice Find.
Seriously, that thing is a no-brainer over the Onkyo 605.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Is shipping free? Shipping charge for 32 lb is not cheap. I just bought an entry level HK receiver from Amazon. It looks great and sounds fine. I don't care what every body says. I am hooked on that HK sound. However, it doesn't have any of the new features a modern receiver should have. Is there any way I can return it and get a full refund from Amazon? This new Yamaha, albeit ugly, has so many features.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Great find. This is the one I've had my eye on ever since it starting making itself known in the A/V world. The preamp outputs are a great addition to the lower to mid line of Yamaha receivers.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Is shipping free? Shipping charge for 32 lb is not cheap. I just bought an entry level HK receiver from Amazon. It looks great and sounds fine. I don't care what every body says. I am hooked on that HK sound. However, it doesn't have any of the new features a modern receiver should have. Is there any way I can return it and get a full refund from Amazon? This new Yamaha, albeit ugly, has so many features.
Yep, free shipping. Technically, the actual unit is only 26.2lbs. Shipping adds the almost 6lbs.

FWIW, the new 863 weighs the same amount, and only boasts 10 more watts per channel. It adds HD radio and one more HDMI input. It almost doubles n MSRP from $550 to $1000! The 663 appears to be the better deal.

Amazon has a 30 day return policy. After that, you may want to sell it via Craigslist or Ebay. At $399 for the Yamaha, you could purchase that now, and compare the two to see what's more important to you - the lossless audio features via BD or HD DVD, or the sound quality you enjoy with the HK.

Last edited:
skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I am not an expert when it comes to receivers, how does this compare to the pioneer 1016, I purchased it, haven't opened it yet. I doubt it that I can return. However for a deal like this, I can maybe try to sell it in the classifieds.
It would be nice to hace the new hd audios as an option.
what would I be loosing/gaining by swtiching to this one?

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I am not an expert when it comes to receivers, how does this compare to the pioneer 1016, I purchased it, haven't opened it yet. I doubt it that I can return. However for a deal like this, I can maybe try to sell it in the classifieds.
It would be nice to hace the new hd audios as an option.
what would I be loosing/gaining by swtiching to this one?
The 1016 cannot do audio over HDMI. That is its main flaw. Other than that, it's a great receiver.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
i think i might keep my pioneer for a 3-4 years maybe then upgrade to an hd receiver. Cant wait.

S

Sesquipedalian

Enthusiast
I click on the J&R.com and it did not see anything stating the warranty length. It is listed right in the specs with Denon. I go to the Yamaha site and have to click on warranties and click on audio products and it starts to display an Adobe file which is blocked by an update message saying you need Japanese fonts even though the Adobe file underneath is in English. I get rid of the update and it leaves blank spaces in the file. I have never had problems displaying an Adobe file before or on any other site. I had to go to Crutchfield to see what the Yamaha warranty was.

I hope this is not an indication what Yamaha is like as a company. Sometimes when a company can!t get little details right on their website they are not good to deal with either.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I click on the J&R.com and it did not see anything stating the warranty length. It is listed right in the specs with Denon. I go to the Yamaha site and have to click on warranties and click on audio products and it starts to display an Adobe file which is blocked by an update message saying you need Japanese fonts even though the Adobe file underneath is in English. I get rid of the update and it leaves blank spaces in the file. I have never had problems displaying an Adobe file before or on any other site. I had to go to Crutchfield to see what the Yamaha warranty was.

I hope this is not an indication what Yamaha is like as a company. Sometimes when a company can!t get little details right on their website they are not good to deal with either.
I'm pretty sure it's a 1 year warranty. There's a few companies out there like Onkyo and Harman Kardon that offer 2 years. Yamaha makes a very good product. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as reliability. I would think that's JR's fault for not listing the warranty, but I've been buying from JR since the mid 80's. They were there before the dot comm's, and are a great company to deal with. They'll even price match quite a few online retailers if you call them.

thisonekidmongo

thisonekidmongo

Audioholic Intern
I've never heard any knocks against Yamaha for reliability (unlike HK, or Onkyo to a lesser degree), and I've purchased tons of stuff from J&R and it's always been a pretty pleasant experience. Good to do the legwork on the brand and seller of course, but neither seem to earn much negative feedback.

Though really, is there any real reason to preorder this, or any other upcoming receiver, for that matter? I mean, you're kidding yourself if you think you won't be able pick up this unit for this price fairly easily elsewhere within a couple months of release, and it's the rare receiver that doesn't have some unforeseen minor-to-dealbreaking issue like lip synch, overheating, HDMI video quirk, etc. Not that I'm discouraging early buyers so I can hear their impressions before I fork over my OWN money of course... :rolleyes:

D

dronezero

Audioholic
It looks like it might have been a pricing error. It is up to $499 to preorder now.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The reason it weighs 32 pounds is because that's the packaged weight (box, packing material, remote, manual, receiver). The receiver unit weighs the 26 or so pounds.

The Pioneer VSX-1018 will be a more comparable receiver to the RX-V663 in terms of capabilities. The Pioneer will have more power, with a slight price increase.

J

Jacket4256

Audioholic Intern
It looks like it might have been a pricing error. It is up to $499 to preorder now.
no sir you gotta call them though ordered mine this week for that price shipped excited it gets here mon!! w00t

A

acegunter

Audiophyte
RXV 663 at 399.99

Guys i just ordered RXV 663 for 399.99 (shipped) at J&R. This is avaliable for phone orders only that is the reason it shows 499.99 on their web.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I got this receiver for 369 shipped from electronics expo. It took some wheeling and dealing but they did it. Great buy and I was really happy with their customer service. I never hear about them on this website but they did me right!

A

acegunter

Audiophyte
I ordered yesterday and they shipped yesterday itself....:mad:

BTW actually electronic expo are giving it for 369. I just checked with them.

kubakuba

kubakuba

Audiophyte
Glad I joined these forums I was about to buy an Onkyo 605 till I saw this..

So I'm looking to spend no more than $400-500 on a receiver..

I checked this Yamaha's specs on a few websites and didn't see its THD%, isn't this a key spec when it comes to receivers?

Also in what regards is this Yamaha better than the Onkyo? Thanks for your time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis