Yamaha RX-V592 Problems

thecrunge

thecrunge

Audioholic Intern
This is my first post, but hopefully someone here can help me out. I have a Yamaha RX-V592 that worked great for a few years. A few months back our house was hit by a lightning strike, and this receiver stopped working. However I would like to use it elsewhere and need to find a way to get it working.

When plugging it in, and hitting the power button, one of several things happens.
A) It clicks twice and does nothing (needs to be unplugged after).
B) It clicks, the screen comes on, but it is filled with all the symbols. Won't power off without unplugging it and pushing buttons does nothing.
C) It turns on, can switch between inputs, then turns off suddenly.

These are basically the three scenarios that happen, but it seems to not be totally dead. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? I have looked at the one fuse I can find (near the plug), however it seems to be ok. I have read about factory resetting the unit, but can't find instructions anywhere in the manual. Any suggestions or help are appreciated. Thanks.

Z

zahnmann

Audiophyte
lightning strike

I also had a lightning strike a few months ago that affected my computer,my router and a 40" crt pic in pic tv. All powered on but none of them did what they where supposed to. I took my computer and tv to be analyzed and found the motherboard/circuit board fried. Anyway, I suggest you take it to a technician and determine the extend of damage, they will tell you if lightning caused the unit to malfunction. Contact your insurance agent for your home owners/rental insurance. If you have a replacement value policy, Santa might be good to you. Without insurance it may be a lump of coal. Good luck

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The logic board for one is damaged on the receiver, and it is impossible to determine the rest of the damage to the amplifier and audio processing units without having it looked at by a service technician. Such a repair would be expensive, perhaps costing more than you paid for it new and you could purchase a new receiver for less. Sorry this has happened to you.:(

Z

zahnmann

Audiophyte
Seth=L I have been following you on other thread(s). Thanks for your insights... I'm learning. Regarding the Onkyo 800's vs 900', the 900's have the USB port. No one makes mention of this additional enhancement. If you wish to download or access internet music or your pc would you not be interested in this feature (given you are not using any other interface)?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L I have been following you on other thread(s). Thanks for your insights... I'm learning. Regarding the Onkyo 800's vs 900', the 900's have the USB port. No one makes mention of this additional enhancement. If you wish to download or access internet music or your pc would you not be interested in this feature (given you are not using any other interface)?
Are you refering to the TX-SR805, TX-SR875 and TX-NR905?

The TX-NR905 has a USB for streaming from a USB device or source. The Ethernet connection allows you to use the receiver as a network device that can stream music.

thecrunge

thecrunge

Audioholic Intern
So it would be better to just get a new unit. This is what I have been fearing. I will be getting decent speakers in the near future ($150-$200) and will be needing a new receiver to use with them. Anyone have any suggestions for receivers (around $100-$150) to look at? Are the refurbed Onkyo ones worth looking at or are there any other good values?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So it would be better to just get a new unit. This is what I have been fearing. I will be getting decent speakers in the near future ($150-$200) and will be needing a new receiver to use with them. Anyone have any suggestions for receivers (around $100-$150) to look at? Are the refurbed Onkyo ones worth looking at or are there any other good values?
Refurbed Onkyos, H/Ks and used receivers can present a good value yes. Sherwood is a decent brand to look at for new inexpensive AVRs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis