Yamaha RX-V550 vs RX-V650

M

mtesni419and1

Audiophyte
I'm planning on buying a new receiver to go along with the set of Fluance speakers im about to order and i was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get the 650 over the 550. My budget it kind of tight as you can tell by the fluance speakers but i would REALLY like an upgrade over my older JVC receiver. So far ive found the 550 for 285 shipped and the 650 for 350 shipped.

Thanks,
Matt

D

dloweman

Audioholic
The 650 offers autosetup if you aren't exactly accustomed to setting up a system, also the 650 offers 7 channels over the 6 channel 550. I think those are pretty significant reasons to upgrade, also the 650 is heavier and a little heftier power supply. As a student I know about budget, and would think the $65 upgrade would be worth it. Good Luck
derek

W

Willow

Audioholic Intern
If I am not mistaken the 650 also has pre-outs ......that in it's self is worth the extra cash

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I didn't realize the 550 doesn't have preouts...definately go with the 650. It also has the ability to do a 2nd zone if only using 5.1 setup.
derek

S

samcam

Enthusiast
Here is a link to yamahas site for comparison http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare/receiver_18.htm I just purchased the v750 and love it, it was only $420 including shipping online. The YPAO is somewhat worthless but will put you in the ballpark, a SPM works much better and the onscreen display is definetely a plus.

Last edited:
C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
Get the 650 dude it also has the PureDirectMode while the 550 doesn't have it.
i have a 650 & i like it very much.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis