Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver Reviewed!

Luminescent

Audiophyte
Is it safe to say that the 2600 has the advantage in the pre-amp department? I say this because according to the review, the 2700 only outputs up to 1.25 mV at reasonable distortion levels.

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
Seems fair, Lum. From everything I have read, I speculate that the electronics are pretty similar otherwise.

The 2600 is also substantially cheaper; the big difference for many people is going to be the HDMI functionality, for example 1080p passthrough. If you are looking at 1080p at all, and use your receiver for video switching, 1080p passthrough may be important to you.

P

posobilov

Enthusiast
Yamaha 2700 surraund sound

Dear Gene!

I can't to use my Yamaha 2700 in the surraund sound mode. All of the speackers are working when I use "7 channals Stereo". But when I turn to any "Movie" mode - it's working like stereo + sub.
Pls, help me.

Even leaving that aside, you state that using the switch AS YAMAHA INSTRUCTS ONE TO USE IT can damage one's speakers. Have you asked Yamaha if they agree with this assertion? If the assertion is accurate, how can one say that such a receiver is properly designed?
Feel free to choose whatever setting you want to use. We will not attempt to convince you or anyone else otherwise aside from our measurements and data.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Dear Gene!

I can't to use my Yamaha 2700 in the surraund sound mode. All of the speackers are working when I use "7 channals Stereo". But when I turn to any "Movie" mode - it's working like stereo + sub.
Pls, help me.
Gene probably won't have time to answer you so I can try. Didn't I (and others) already give you suggestions on this question?

When you say you switch to a 'movie mode', what does that mean? Do you mean to cycle through the surround modes and choose PLIIx Movie? That should work for ANY 2 channel analog or digital signal and DD/DTS 5.1.

Any receiver that has a 'direct' or 'pure direct' mode will not engage any surround decoders when in those modes and usually none of the surround options will even be available in that case. Have you checked that you are not in direct or pure direct mode?

Do you have any of the menu settings for default decoders set? That receiver and many in its class allow you to set a default decoder based on the input format. So for example, if you set DD to Stereo, that's what you will get by default, but you can usually change it manually. Check those menu settings.

J

jcolon181

Enthusiast
Has anyone had trouble connecting the RX-2700 to their cable box. I recently purchased the Yamaha RX-2700 home theater receiver with Definitive Technology speakers. I’m having trouble hooking up my Motorola DCT6416 III Digital DVR cable set up box. The cable box has a HDMI out put but I’m not getting any picture or sound. What will be the best way to connect the Cable box to the receiver and get a great picture. When I had the cable box connected directly to my TV with the HDMI out on the cable box it worked fine. Now that I tried conntecting it to my Yamaha I have no picture and sound. I could really use some help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis