Yamaha RX-V2500 or RX-V4600

P

propman07

Enthusiast
Hello-

Please excuse my noobie-ness. I ordered a Yamaha RX-V2500 to replace a Sony STR DA5000ES that I had to send back to Sony for warranty repair twice. I ordered the 2500 on the advice of a co-worker who has one, and loves it.

I noticed on e-Bay that people are selling the 4600 now. I went to Yamaha's site to check it out, and it looks like a very solid unit.

I was wondering if I should return the 2500, and wait for the 4600.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
propman07 said:
Hello-

Please excuse my noobie-ness. I ordered a Yamaha RX-V2500 to replace a Sony STR DA5000ES that I had to send back to Sony for warranty repair twice. I ordered the 2500 on the advice of a co-worker who has one, and loves it.

I noticed on e-Bay that people are selling the 4600 now. I went to Yamaha's site to check it out, and it looks like a very solid unit.

I was wondering if I should return the 2500, and wait for the 4600.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
You've made a wise decision. The units are almost identical, except for a slightly larger power supply/transformer/and caps. There's more bells and whistles on the 4600, as well as more modern digital hookups. But for the $1000+ you'll spend on the 4600, I'd take the 2500 and run (unless you have money to burn). Check out the comparison pictures.
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV4600ReceiverFirstLook.php

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
it is almost worth $1000 for the HDMI switching

i have a 2500 and i love it

P

propman07

Enthusiast
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You've made a wise decision. The units are almost identical, except for a slightly larger power supply/transformer/and caps. There's more bells and whistles on the 4600, as well as more modern digital hookups. But for the $1000+ you'll spend on the 4600, I'd take the 2500 and run (unless you have money to burn). Check out the comparison pictures.
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV4600ReceiverFirstLook.php
Thanks for the reply. No laughing, but I have been a "fan" of Sony products, up until the point where I had to send the 5000 back for repairs. I have heard a lot of good things about Yamaha components, and my co-worker raves about his 2400 (at least that's the model that he says he has...do they make a 2400?)

I don't have the $$$ to burn, and after seeing the comparison photos, I think that I'll be sticking with the 2500 as I don't have any devices that have HDMI.

Thanks again.

P

propman07

Enthusiast
Mega2000 said:
it is almost worth $1000 for the HDMI switching

i have a 2500 and i love it
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any devices that utilize the HDMI connections, so I think that for now, I'll stick with the 2500. It sounds like you are happy with yours, so I hope that I'll be happy with my purchase.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your previous receiver, prior to the 2500?

Thanks.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
propman07 said:
I have heard a lot of good things about Yamaha components, and my co-worker raves about his 2400 (at least that's the model that he says he has...do they make a 2400?)
The RXV-2400 is the 2500's predecessor and is no longer produced.
Cheers / Avliner

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis