Yamaha rx v1700 v-aux connections in front

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
If I hook my PC up with a TOSLINK (using a turtle beach audio amigo sound card) to the V-AUX digital audio connection will I be able to watch TV and hear music from the pc? In the manual the V-aux are labled as video outputs (since most people would use them to hook up video games, cameras, etc.) and I wondered if I only used the audio portion of the connection if I could still watch tv through the CBL/SAT mode. Anyone know.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You can connect audio only to any 'video' input but you will not be able to listen to the audio from that input while simultaneously watching video from another input.

If you connect the audio to an audio only input (like CD, tape, etc) and a video source to a video input, you should be able to listen to the audio from the audio input and the video from the other input simply by pressing the audio input first and then the video input. That feature is what allows you to record audio from one source and video from another but some receivers make the process more complicated than simply selecting the audio input first followed by the video input. I'm not sure if Yamaha does it the 'easy' way or not.

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Thanks

I was trying to avoid having to go to the back of the receiver since I have to unscrew the back of my tv stand (not much wiggle room to turn the receiver around in the stand). I'll need to do it eventually since my rear surrounds aren't phased properly and I'll probably buy a squuezebox soon as well.

Chris

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha audio inputs

Here is something I noticed on my lower end Yamaha HTR-5860 that might help for your application. I had a CD player hooked up to the analog CD input and the TV's digital audio output (for OTA antenna) hooked up the the digital optical input which was assigned to CD. When the TV was off, I got the analog CD input, however, if both were on, it would output audio from the digital input. This might work if you have a SD cable box with analog outputs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis