Yamaha RX-A3070 turns off intermittently

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
There is no rhyme or reason as to when it happens. It is not volume related. At first I thought it had something to do with the xbox? I know that if I turn the xbox off it will turn the receiver off. But it does not happen only when the xbox is on or off. It also (only happened once) kept muting, I changed sources and then went back and it went away, almost like it had a poor signal. Back to it powering off, when it does it has no issues turning back on. I am not sure what the issue is or if it is a known bug. I couldn't find any info on it online. I just figured I would see if anyone has heard of any issues with this receiver. Thanks, Chuck

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think when compatible, on the HDMI CEC ARC input, when you power off that device, the Yamaha goes to standby. When my TV is powered off and that hdmi 1 is the selected source, my 2060 goes to standby. I do have that ARC enabled and this is handy that it works that way. I could be misinterpreting the “why it works that way” though. I have HDMI 2.0 on the Samsung TV as well as the Yamaha 2060.

I do the quarterly updates on my Yamaha firmware although I do my V681 first, then my A770 and A2060 a few days later just in case. I have 3 rooms with Yamahas but the TVs in the other rooms are older. :)

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I updated my post and edited it because I didn’t state things correctly originally.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think snake's on the right track, try stop using ARC for a few days, see what happens and go from there.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's not ARC that is causing this, it's CEC. This is often called HDMI Control in the setup menu- turn it off for everything and in every piece of equipment.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It's not ARC that is causing this, it's CEC. This is often called HDMI Control in the setup menu- turn it off for everything and in every piece of equipment.
Well if it only happened one time, like he mentioned in the original post, maybe no big deal.

For a real unsettling bug, if you use airplay with the app controller and turn off with the button or remote, sometimes the iPhone will power the Yamaha back on. This actually startled me the first couple times :). I was able to do this on the 2060 but not the 770 or 681. So my mitigation is I set the volume in power on to a low volume. Anyhow since the last update of firmware, it hasn’t happened. :)

Edit: I think this one is related to my TiVo Roamio DVR, which doesn’t support CEC on the older OS. There is an update for it but I don’t wish to use the newer format GUI on the newer TiVo OS.

highfigh

highfigh

Well if it only happened one time, like he mentioned in the original post, maybe no big deal.

For a real unsettling bug, if you use airplay with the app controller and turn off with the button or remote, sometimes the iPhone will power the Yamaha back on. This actually startled me the first couple times :). I was able to do this on the 2060 but not the 770 or 681. So my mitigation is I set the volume in power on to a low volume. Anyhow since the last update of firmware, it hasn’t happened. :)
If AirPlay is still running in the phone, it's still communicating with the receiver, which may turn on by selecting a source, rather than using the power button. I don't have a Yamaha here but I know Denon AVRs operate in this way.

Yeah, it's kind of weird when something develops a mind of its own.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If AirPlay is still running in the phone, it's still communicating with the receiver, which may turn on by selecting a source, rather than using the power button. I don't have a Yamaha here but I know Denon AVRs operate in this way.

Yeah, it's kind of weird when something develops a mind of its own.
I actually get a kick out of this and wouldn’t disable it. I like the convenience when everything is working together. Last night I was playing with my A770 and 2015 Toshiba TV and they work great with ARC and CEC as well. I did notice on the Toshiba remote that I could not control the Sony Blu-ray x700 like I could on the Samsung on the Sony x800. No big deal since I have the iphone app Sony controller downloaded for Sony Blu-ray players. :)

highfigh

highfigh

I actually get a kick out of this and wouldn’t disable it. I like the convenience when everything is working together. Last night I was playing with my A770 and 2015 Toshiba TV and they work great with ARC and CEC as well. I did notice on the Toshiba remote that I could not control the Sony Blu-ray x700 like I could on the Samsung on the Sony x800. No big deal since I have the iphone app Sony controller downloaded for Sony Blu-ray players. :)
I use CEC with my Roku in two rooms- it's an easy way to switch sources, but I don't use it to turn on the TVs. In a full system with universal control, I wouldn't use it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I use CEC with my Roku in two rooms- it's an easy way to switch sources, but I don't use it to turn on the TVs. In a full system with universal control, I wouldn't use it.
Ya in my experience having the TV remote (or TiVo remote) power turn on the receiver via CEC and control the receiver volume via CEC are what happens best. The apps on my iPhone also are convenient for me as a backup remote. (Yamaha, TiVo, Sony apps, Apple TV). The Samsung App isn’t good. My Toshiba model isn’t supported by the Toshiba app so no comment there. :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes too many features can be a bad thing. :D

I bet the $20K Theta Casablanca and DataSAT pre-pros don't even offer ARC or CEC/HDMI Control. :D

I just pretend my Yamaha pre-pro doesn't have any of these features either. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sometimes too many features can be a bad thing. :D

I bet the $20K Theta Casablanca and DataSAT pre-pros don't even offer ARC or CEC/HDMI Control. :D

I just pretend my Yamaha pre-pro doesn't have any of these features either. :D
Aren’t most of the universal remotes like over $100 though? Seems expensive to go that route rather than understanding how the existing gear interacts. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Aren’t most of the universal remotes like over $100 though? Seems expensive to go that route rather than understanding how the existing gear interacts. :)
I don't use any universal remotes either. :D

The only remote I use is the AV Controller Remote App on my iPad/Phone.

I like to keep things as simple as possible.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don't use any universal remotes either. :D

The only remote I use is the AV Controller Remote App on my iPad/Phone.

I like to keep things as simple as possible.
The Sony controller App for the Blu-ray/UHD and the Apple TV apps are also reliable on iPhone. My TiVo App (redesigned a couple months ago) is also now reliable , however sometimes I have to sign in, which is a hassle. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Sony controller App for the Blu-ray/UHD and the Apple TV apps are also reliable on iPhone. My TiVo App (redesigned a couple months ago) is also now reliable , however sometimes I have to sign in, which is a hassle. :)
For movies, TV shows, and music, I use either my iPad (AV Controller, MusicCast) or my USB-keyboard (control my HTPC). That’s it.

No Apple TV, Netflix, TiVo, or any other apps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis