Yamaha RX-A1010 AVENTAGE 7.1 Channel Networking A/V Receiver Review

B

bluelightning

Enthusiast
Gene,
Thank you for responding. See my responses below in red

Whoa there is a lot here but I will try to address what I can and remember from your post.

I use -20dBFS b/c a 0dBFS can overload the bass management circuits if all speakers are set to small. It's an industry standard to use -20dBFS for multi channel testing. I do check 2CH audio with 0dBFS to ensure the product can handle fullscale digital. I don't show every test I do else the reports will be too long and boring for most readers.

Maybe you provide a link to additional results for those interested. Of course I know this is wishful thinking, I understand the time it takes to do this and most of your readership might not be interested in it.

For the FFT, I calculate how low the 2nd or most dominant harmonic is down from the fundamental. I also do total THD + N for the power measurements too. IF you want to calculate total distortion from the FFT, one can sum all the harmonics, but I see little point to this. The point of those plots is to show the harmonic nasties and look for any misbehavior.

I understand how to calculate it, I simply wanted to point out the usage of the term THD + N, which to implies all harmonic Noise :)

As for effective bits, Johnson noise will never allow you to achieve a full 24 bit resolution in the analog domain. 18-19 bits is about the best you can ever achieve in real life.

I somewhat agree with you. It is possibly to get @22 bits out the DAC & low level circuitry but by the time one goes through the power amps you are lower

HDMI crosstalk levels are ALWAYS higher than analog crosstalk measurements from what I've measured on all products. The levels are still low enough to not be of any concern IMO.

I test the preamps to output clipping and always show what they are capable of driving under a 600 ohm load. There are no appreciable differences if the preamp is driving output levels below clipping vs say 500mV under the same power drive to the amp section. Preamp circuits aren't sharing the same power supply as the power amp for virtually any receiver I ever test. As long as a preamp can cleanly drive at least 1.2Vrms, it should be enough gain to work with virtually any power amp. I prefer the preamp to be able to drive at least 2Vrms and I discuss that in our measurement standard.

I do FFT plots at various power levels and typically show them for 1 watt and fullrated power and yes fullrated power is always higher. Some amps are better behaved than others in this regard.

I was unable to find a 1 Watt FFT plot for the power amp for either 3000 or 1010, hence I spoke. A mid level plot might be useful from the standpoint that, that is where is most will likely operate this equipment.

I test SNR at 1 watt and full rated power and calculate the 1 watt SNR figure at full rated power to ensure linearity at all power levels. I usually find no surprises here.

I agree with the above, just that it is not indicative of max SNR and is not where most users operate

I scaled back many of my analog tests b/c most people these days are using the HDMI connections between the receiver and blu-ray player. I test TrueHD and DTS HD signals to make sure there is a perfect bit to bit transfer which would indicate there should be no audible differences between various players when using the HDMI interface. This assumes upconversion/downcoversion circuits are disabled b/c if they are not, they will fail the BER (Bit Error Rate) test.

Ok I think I got most of your stuff. Do you have an Audio Precision? If so, I'd be happy to get some help doing testing to cut down the time. My testing is already quite time consuming and I can rarely dedicate any more time to test individual products than what I already do. I've actually taken away tests such as output impedance b/c they are way too time consuming to pull AP data into Excel and calculate the impedances.
I don't have an AP. I am not really in the audio industry. I am an electrical engineer with extensive GPS signal processing background and an interest in audio ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Ovation

Enthusiast
No, get the RX-A1000 if you can get it for a few hundred $$$ cheaper.
Thank you very much for that response. This has made my decision much easier.

(and, yes, I'd rather they had the orange display as well--but I won't let that stop me)

Off topic (and if this should be asked elsewhere, please let me know):
I will be taking my current receiver and using it in my living room in a 2 channel setup. It is an Integra DTR 6.4 that has given me nearly 8 years of problem free service. My question is that while it is not officially rated for 4 ohm duty, can I still consider some 4 ohm speakers for my living room given the fact that A) I won't be pushing 100+ dB output and B) it will only be a pair rather than the 5 speakers it is currently driving? It is quite likely I will end up with 8 ohm speakers anyway (on my list of potential speakers, only 3 of 11 are not 8 ohm), but I am partial to the the Dynaudio sound and they are all 4 ohm.

Thanks again for the review and the response.

B

biglaw22

Audioholic Intern
You shouldn't be disappointed I picked up a RX-A1000 in September when they dropped the price to make room for the RX-A1010. I love it and I haven't even tapped its potential... I love the built in network stuff and the iPhone app. I might look at upgrading to dedicated amps once I get the theater built.

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
Pulled the trigger today. The savings was substantial (500$ below list price) and I've decided to use the savings (I was offered a good deal on a 2010, but not as good) towards a better pair of speakers for the living room to accompany my current AVR, as well as set aside a bit towards a new sub next year. This review came at the right time for me and helped me get off the merry go round.

It also helped that I have an Anti-Mode 8033 for my sub, so I don't think I will miss the EQ'ing of the sub by YPAO available on the 2010.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Review Updates

Guys;

I installed an RX-A1010 at my sister-in-laws house this week and found a few cool features I didn’t cover in the review so I am adding it to the online version and the reprint version too.

Here are my comments regarding HDMI:
Yamaha ups the ante to the next level by incorporating full HDMI control which automatically switches sound between your TV speakers (when the RX-A1010 is turned off) to your home theater speakers (when the RX-A1010 is turned on). You can even use the remote control from your HDMI compliant TV to control volume level on your RX-A1010! We tested this on a new Samsung LED display and it worked flawlessly. For the first time in my installation history, I was able to install a single cable (HDMI) from the receiver to the TV utilizing just one input on the display to handle all source types (ie. composite, component, HDMI) coming into the A/V receiver without any operational hiccups. Yamaha I thank you for making installations and usability as easy as pie. Neophytes of the world rejoice. You no longer have to go through complicated video switching on your display and A/V receiver if you get this receiver!

I did note however that manual PEQ doesn’t apply to the sub out so i made mention as follows:
The only thing I felt noting about YPAO was related to their lack of a manual PEQ option for the subwoofer channel on this model. It's an omission I wish Yamaha wouldn't have done because having the ability to EQ the sub channel is arguably the most important and beneficial of any of the speakers in a home theater system.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Yamaha ups the ante to the next level by incorporating full HDMI control which automatically switches sound between your TV speakers (when the RX-A1010 is turned off) to your home theater speakers (when the RX-A1010 is turned on). You can even use the remote control from your HDMI compliant TV to control volume level on your RX-A1010! We tested this on a new Samsung LED display and it worked flawlessly. For the first time in my installation history, I was able to install a single cable (HDMI) from the receiver to the TV utilizing just one input on the display to handle all source types (ie. composite, component, HDMI) coming into the A/V receiver without any operational hiccups. Yamaha I thank you for making installations and usability as easy as pie. Neophytes of the world rejoice. You no longer have to go through complicated video switching on your display and A/V receiver if you get this receiver!
That is a very nice feature having the audio automatically go to the TV on pass-through.

Steve

P.S. Think they'll do a firmware update for the previous model? Probably not I'm guessing.

C

chareis

Audiophyte
Hi End Power Cable

Is it worth the price replacing original power cable with a pro model for the Yamaha RX-A1010? If so, what would be a good price range and specs? Thanks in advance!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Is it worth the price replacing original power cable with a pro model for the Yamaha RX-A1010? If so, what would be a good price range and specs? Thanks in advance!
lol.

No.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
First off, welcome to the forum Chareis :)

You know what, I think it's just about time to send all the EE's back to school for an updated and basic "refreshment-math-class" though, as it seems they're all constantly dropping the ball in regards to the so-called "high-end power cords" though and that's MHO, but YMMV ;)

N

nurmdog

Audiophyte
Codec Support

Since the 1010 ( and it's Aventage Brothers and Sisters) support DLNA 1.5 for playing audio off a network, if I have a DLNA server that has Apple Lossless Endoder (ALE) audio files on it will the Yamha's be able to play them? To be honest this is nesecary for me to buy it, I don't want to stream them from my iPad to the Receiver using the app, I would rather play it off my DLNA server on my Network (NAS). Could someone test this to see if it works?
Nurmdog

K

KaushikC

Audiophyte
External Amp

I am in the process of upgrading my home theater....I have decided on the yamaha Aventage RX-3010A receiver. The question is that I have a 7.1 speaker system....do you think that if I get the Emotiva XPA 5 and connect to my receiver then the audio experience will be enhanced or is this n overkill. Currently I have a B&K 302 receiver. My listening level is between -15 to -25db.

My family room home theater is 20x13x9, but it is open at the back to breakfast nook and kitchen.....

Thanks for the help.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am in the process of upgrading my home theater....I have decided on the yamaha Aventage RX-3010A receiver. The question is that I have a 7.1 speaker system....do you think that if I get the Emotiva XPA 5 and connect to my receiver then the audio experience will be enhanced or is this n overkill. Currently I have a B&K 302 receiver. My listening level is between -15 to -25db.

My family room home theater is 20x13x9, but it is open at the back to breakfast nook and kitchen.....

Thanks for the help.
What is the make and model of the speakers you are driving? If their sensitivity of the main l/r and center speakers are around 90db or higher and they don't dip to low in the impedance curve, then my answer would be no.

K

KaushikC

Audiophyte
I am using Rockets 750's as and main L/R speakers and the Rocket Bigfoot as the center speakers. My rear and side surround are in-wall Triads....

K

kfessler

Audiophyte
Guys;

I installed an RX-A1010 at my sister-in-laws house this week and found a few cool features I didn’t cover in the review so I am adding it to the online version and the reprint version too.

I did note however that manual PEQ doesn’t apply to the sub out so i made mention as follows:
The only thing I felt noting about YPAO was related to their lack of a manual PEQ option for the subwoofer channel on this model. It's an omission I wish Yamaha wouldn't have done because having the ability to EQ the sub channel is arguably the most important and beneficial of any of the speakers in a home theater system.

I found out about this little perk with my RX-A3000 a couple of months ago when I accidentally picked up my TV remote to cahnge the volumn on the receiver instead of the receiver remote - it's a nice little feature.

I'm using the 3000 in conjunction with my 61" Samsung DLP and the only difference in using the TV remote instead of the receiver remote to change volume is that the receiver remote decends the volume dB level on the screen, where as using the TV remote, it accends.

I love my RX-A3000. Hooking up 1 HDMI cable to AV1 to do everything is a God sent. The only minor (minor) issue that I have with it is when I turn on the receiver and then the TV, the TV seems to be sending out some type of signal to the RX-A3000 because it always sets my reciever to Audio 1 and then I have to reset it back to AV1. Its a pain as I know its coming every time I turn the units on, but I'm not that lazy to switch it back. :p

K

Ken C.

Audiophyte
Has anyone had trouble using Pandora and Rhapsody on the Aventage line? I have tried three receivers, two models of the Aventage line and they all stutter at the beginning of every track and sometimes in the middle of a track. Net Radio buffers and works fine. Yamaha has told me there is a defect in the first unit and that they have not experienced this in their personal receivers. I have still another on order, a RX-A120, to see if it is any better. I have upgraded the firmware on one of the machines to no satisfaction.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
Has anyone had trouble using Pandora and Rhapsody on the Aventage line? I have tried three receivers, two models of the Aventage line and they all stutter at the beginning of every track and sometimes in the middle of a track. Net Radio buffers and works fine. Yamaha has told me there is a defect in the first unit and that they have not experienced this in their personal receivers. I have still another on order, a RX-A120, to see if it is any better. I have upgraded the firmware on one of the machines to no satisfaction.
I have the A2010, and use Pandora a lot. No issues, other than the Pandaora 'Are you still Listening?' message if you leave it on all night.

C

ckpe

Audiophyte
I have a A1010, but I have a problem - when I turn on an external source for example. iomega TV, DVD or another, then will the rx-a1010 not switch itself to the correct HDMI input, it means that every time I watch a movie or play, I first Should turn on my amplifier, set it to the correct input, and then turn it off again when I need sound out of my TV?? Anyone?

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Talk about a thorough review. Very detailed and the power measurements are very informative. I'm sure this took you a while to complete.

This review is the reason why I keep coming back to audioholics for reviews over other websites. The detail in the power measurements is rare.

Next time could you include the score on the video processing? I noticed you gave it a score of 3 out of 5, might as well include the test scores since hoj went through all that work

Also what's the final word of the receivers bi amping ability Gene....you mentioned it could bi amp the unused channels but how effective is it at that

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis