Yamaha or Denon Receiver?

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
I have been shooting for a Denon receiver and today I noticed there is a Yamaha RX-V671 7.1-Channel receiver on sale through Amazon for $299 a the deal of the day. I was shooting for the Denon 1613 for $268. Which should I go with?

My setup as of now

Front -Polk Monitor 70s
Center- Polk CS2
Sub - Dayton SUB-1200
Rears - None as of now, maybe in the future

I assume the Yamaha is overkill, but wondering if it is worth it over the 1613 5.1. Are Yamaha's built to the same quality as Denon's?

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
You'll find that both are popular, perhaps the two most popular here. Some folks place an emphasis on room correction, and choose the Denon for Audessey, which is reported to be a little better than Yamaha's YPAO. Yamaha is reported by many to have the edge on reliability. Both have decent power supplies and clean amps. Personally, I like the Yamahas from a value perspective. If I were to consider the Denon over the Yamaha, it would be in the AVR 4xxx price class, not the AVR 1xxx class, but others may have different opinions.

Last edited:
S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
You'll find that both are popular, perhaps the two most popular here. Some folks place an emphasis on room correction, and choose the Denon for Audessey, which is reported to be a little better than Yamaha's YPAO. Yamaha is reported by many to have the edge on reliability. Both have decent power supplies and clean amps. Personally, I like the Yamahas from a value perspective. If I were to consider the Denon over the Yamaha, it would be in the AVR 4xxx price class, not the AVR 1xxx class, but others may have different opinions.
Okay so 1 vote for yamaha. I am new to home audio, so going to rely on you guy's opinion for this. How is the warranty for yamaha vs denon's 2 year?

Just realized the yamaha is 2 years old. Might stick with the Denon.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha makes some of the most reliable receivers around. $299 is a great price for the 671, but I really like Audyssey and the fact that MultEQ and above can EQ the sub.

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha makes some of the most reliable receivers around. $299 is a great price for the 671, but I really like Audyssey and the fact that MultEQ and above can EQ the sub.
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the Denon 1613 from denon.com. Sucks it hasn't shipped yet, I have everything waiting for it to arrive.

U

unemployed

Enthusiast
Some good online prices on the discontinued Yamaha Aventage series (3010, 2010, 1010).

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've owned Yamaha and Denon. But I do like the build quality of the Yammy over the Denon.

Kandiru

Audiophyte
Like he said above, Yamahas are the Hondas of the audio world. Engineering is rock solid, Malaysian manufacturing added layer of quality.

The sound is satisfactory and on par and possibly superior to low end Denons.

If I had a say in this and wanted ultimate bang for buck I would get an Onkyo with 4 120mm fans on top. Their sound is great, unfortunately they overheat, even my PR-SC5509 processor has a fan over the L back corner. But what sound, Classe SSP-800 excluded of course.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Like he said above, Yamahas are the Hondas of the audio world. Engineering is rock solid, Malaysian manufacturing added layer of quality.

The sound is satisfactory and on par and possibly superior to low end Denons.
Is that with or without room correction engaged. :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I have no complaints with YPAO. Did you find it audibly lacking?
I don't either. I just didn't like the remark below as it sounds just plain DUMB. I'm just offering him away out is all. ;)

"The sound is satisfactory and on par and possibly superior to low end Denons"

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I like YPAO myself, but I really wish Yamaha would add LFE bands to their PEQ. I know they add minimal LFE EQ in their 2xxx and up receivers, but even Denon 16x models will EQ the sub.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I don't either. I just didn't like the remark below as it sounds just plain DUMB. I'm just offering him away out is all. ;)

"The sound is satisfactory and on par and possibly superior to low end Denons"
I've got two A2010(s), and have no complaint with YPAO. Mind you, playing with manual EQ (just because it was fun to play with), there were a few decisions they made that I thought were curious. YPAO seems good to me. I've checked the distances it calculates, again just for grins, and it seems spot on. After EQ it does sound good to me, although I usually bump up my SBL and SBR level a hair (in a 9.2 setup), out of personal preference.

After what must be 6 or 7 Yamaha receivers over the years, none of which had an issue, the peace of mind (reliability) makes up for the only things that sound compelling to me with the Denon: discrete circuits for the amps (although Yamahas have clean numbers), and Audyssey which by many accounts is more sophisticated than YPAO. That said, I have no regrets with Yamaha(s), FWIW. (No claims on being an expert.)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Look inside a mid level and up Yamaha and you will find discrete amplifier channels just like Denon. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis