Yamaha M-65 in protection mode

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
After years of service the Yamaha has gone into protection mode. It has been taken out of its rack and stripped of all cabling. Visible fuses appear to be unblown. The circuit boards are in good condition. The piece powers up with its protection monitor lit. Should it be retired or repaired. It is old equipment but it was reliable and is attractive. Any opinions?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
After years of service the Yamaha has gone into protection mode. It has been taken out of its rack and stripped of all cabling. Visible fuses appear to be unblown. The circuit boards are in good condition. The piece powers up with its protection monitor lit. Should it be retired or repaired. It is old equipment but it was reliable and is attractive. Any opinions?

Isn't that a 160 watt amp that can also handle loads down to 2 Ohms?
If there is a repair service available and the price is right, it would be worthwhile to have it repaired and maybe, if it as electrolytic capacitors, replaced. You'll get continuing service at a good price.:D

audioman00

Audioholic
absolutly get it fixed that amp is NICE

I just wanted to say that I WOULD get it fixed, that amplifier most likely sounds better than most you can buy today and the reatil of that amp was in the 1000 + region.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I agree, at least have a pro open it up and take a look. I'm not sure what they will charge for the bench time, but she's a fine old gal and don't throw her in the smelter if she ain't ready t' go.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree, at least have a pro open it up and take a look. I'm not sure what they will charge for the bench time, but she's a fine old gal and don't throw her in the smelter if she ain't ready t' go.
Usually not more than $50 depends on where you live I guess.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback

I look at the void in my equipment rack and feel sad. It sits on my dining room table with its top off untouched and silent. A bit of internet investigation and your responses have pushed me to the decision to have it hopefully repaired. Vintage power amps are addictive. Thanks.

D

DrDave059

Audiophyte
Worth A look

I have serviced Yamaha for over 30 years and It is worth a look before you trash it. Just make sure you take it or send it to a servicer that is authorized by Yamaha. They will have the service manual access to tech bulletins, and the the knowledge to service it correctly. Good Luck....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis