T

TBoneSTL

Enthusiast
I was looking at this reciever, is it a lot better than the Pioneer VSX-1015TX or VSX-9100TX? The weight is only 33 lbs, same as the 1015TX. Would I be getting a lot better reciever if I bought this one? Thanks in Advance!

The Yamaha HTR-5890:

* Powerful 7.1-channel Surround sound
* 840 Watts power (120 Watts x 7) at 8 ohms, 20 Hz-20,000 Hz
* Also reproduces surround for 6.1 channels, 5.1 channels and 2.1 (virtual surround)
* Digital ToP-ART and high current amplification
* Pure direct for high quality 2-channel and multi-channel surround reproduction
* YPAO system uses a small Microphone and a sophisticated Equalizer to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are
* RS-232C interface, trigger Output and IR port
* Zone 2 speaker out and amplifier assignment, and zone 3 volume
* Dialogue lift for enhanced dialogue sound output
* Quad-field CINEMA DSP and 16 surround programs with 2 THX programs
* Night listening enhancer (cinema/music) makes sure you don"t miss sounds and quiet dialogue when you"re listening at a low volume, and SILENT CINEMA accurately simulates surround sound through ordinary earphones
* Audio delay for adjusting lip-sync (0-240ms)
* Component Video up conversion ensures you will get the highest possible quality no matter what the source is
* HDTV (720p/1080i) compatibility
* Wide-range video bandwidth (60 MHz -3 dB)
* Inputs (including front panel): 8 digital (5 Optical and 3 coaxial), 7 A/V (with S-Video) and audio, 2 component video (fixed and assignable), and 6 channel (8 channel compatible) external decoder inputs
* Outputs: 2 optical digital (fixed and assignable), 2 A/V (with S-Video), 2 audio, 1 HDTV compatible component video monitor, zone 2 and zone 3, S-Video and composite monitor, Front L/R, center, surround L/R and surround back L/R and Subwoofer outputs, and trigger output for power on of other components
* Dimensions: 17-1/8" x 6-3/4" x 16-11/16"
* Weight: 33.1 lbs.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
The only reason I had considered the 5890 over the 1015, was because of the Zone 2. This way, I could biamp the fronts. Other than that, I believe they are very similar. I got the 1015 for a good price, so I went with it. Good luck on your choice....

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
The Yamaha has excellent and valuable DSP modes. Pioneers do a fine job of straight decoding, but the Yamahas seem to put you in the action a little more throught the DSP. I have owned both brands and prefer the Yammy for both movies and music.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Apples to oranges. The Yamaha is probably a tad better unit (and even that's up for discussion), but you'll pay $150-$200 more. The MSRP of the Yamaha 5890 is $849. The 1015TX is $650. The Yamaha RXV757 is it's direct competitor in comparing costs, and hales in comparison to the Pioneer 1015. Street prices will vary, but there's still a sizeable difference. IMO, Pioneer hit a home run with the 1015TX. You cannot buy better technology for the money - new or used.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Apples to oranges. The Yamaha is probably a tad better unit (and even that's up for discussion), but you'll pay $150-$200 more. The MSRP of the Yamaha 5890 is $849. The 1015TX is $650. The Yamaha RXV757 is it's direct competitor in comparing costs, and hales in comparison to the Pioneer 1015. Street prices will vary, but there's still a sizeable difference. IMO, Pioneer hit a home run with the 1015TX. You cannot buy better technology for the money - new or used.
I have to agree, if you are going to spend 200.00 more, then you really would not gain much for the extra price tag. However if you can get it for the same price as the 1015, then by all means get it. (but I doubt you will find it for the price of the 1015) New & Sealed I picked mine up for 393.00 shipped. If you can get the Yammy for 450.00 shipped it would be a bargain, and I would say go 4 it. Otherwise the 1015 is a wise choice. IMO.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
On that note...if you are considering the 5890, the Pioneer VSX-9300 usually retails for $899 at Best Buy.com, $799 at Vanns.com and it's probably a better receiver than the other 3. If you want to know more about it check out this link:
www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_123728213,00.html
It's the same receiver except for the lack of I.link on the 9300.
Unless you have a need for a ton of digital inputs I think the 9300 is a much better receiver. However it only has 3 optical digital inputs versus the 5890's 5!
From what I can see though, everything else is pretty equal...although the Pioneer does have 100 mHz bandwidth component video I/O's.
Lastly, I've never met heard of anyone mentioning Pioneer's mic-assisted set-up being anything other than almost perfectly spot-on. Yamaha's YPAO however, I've heard very mixed reviews.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
9300 over the 5890 - no comparison

On that note...if you are considering the 5890, the Pioneer VSX-9300 usually retails for $899 at Best Buy.com, $799 at Vanns.com and it's probably a better receiver than the other 3. If you want to know more about it check out this link:
www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_123728213,00.html
It's the same receiver except for the lack of I.link on the 9300.
Unless you have a need for a ton of digital inputs I think the 9300 is a much better receiver. However it only has 3 optical digital inputs versus the 5890's 5!
From what I can see though, everything else is pretty equal.
I don't think you're giving the 9300 enough credit. Check out the weight of each unit. You know me and weight. :rolleyes: 5890: 33lbs; 9300: 44lbs. :eek: I wonder which has the bigger power supply, transformer, heat sink, and can run louder, for longer periods???

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I don't think you're giving the 9300 enough credit. Check out the weight of each unit. You know me and weight. :rolleyes: 5890: 33lbs; 9300: 44lbs. :eek: I wonder which has the bigger power supply, transformer, heat sink, and can run louder, for longer periods???
Yeah for the price the 9300 is a steal

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Update, the VSX-9300TX is on sale today at BestBuy.com for $809.99! Only $10 more than Vanns.com, but you have the option of purchasing their 4 year warranty at the bargain basement price of $35. You know...with Pioneer's new Magnolia section I think that opens me up to a lot more options in the case that this receiver fails and is unrepairable(Pioneer Elite anyone).
Trust me, besides Pioneer I'm probably it's biggest supporter :) I do own one you know.

B

bishoptf

Audiophyte
TBoneSTL said:
I was looking at this reciever, is it a lot better than the Pioneer VSX-1015TX or VSX-9100TX? The weight is only 33 lbs, same as the 1015TX. Would I be getting a lot better reciever if I bought this one? Thanks in Advance!

I'm in the same boat, main differences are Pio has an extra component input and thx select two (adds one extra decoding option) and less cost...

Yammie has more digital inputs (7 vs 4) and has lip sync adjustment available for HD feeds that might need it....

I listened to a pio 52tx (close to a 1015) and the rx-v1500 (close to the 5890) same source same speakers and the yamaha sounded better (IMHO) had better low end, both used there direct mode 2 channel listening...The big difference is cost with the pio being $130 cheaper, if it was close to the same price I would buy the 5890 (although I think it is ugly)...Actually if I had more money to spend I would buy the rx-v2500.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha 1500 and 2500

Yes, the Yamaha RX-V1500 is equivalent to the HTR-5890 model. Since the 1500 has been out for a little longer, I think the price is actually cheeper, just over $500.
For a little more money, consider the RX-V2500. Both are THX Select and the low noise floor makes for an excelent Pre/Pro.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis