Yamaha from unauthorized retailer

T

thepoo

Enthusiast
Hi folks,

I’m shopping for my 2nd Yamaha receiver, and found retailers listed as authorized on the Yamaha site sell for significantly higher price than those that are not (I bought my 1st one from an authorized retailer).

Does Yamaha warranty truly apply only to products from authorized retailers?

Do unauthorized retailers sell refurbished products?

What gives?

Boris

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding Yamaha's warranty coverage, it's located on their website. To quote part of it:
How can I be sure that I will get the Yamaha Manufacturer's Warranty?
Yamaha sells its Home Audio products only through a network of high quality, specially authorized dealers. The Yamaha Limited Warranty applies only to products purchased from our authorized dealers​

There are various reasons why someplace will have it cheaper. One reason could be that they are refurbs, but if the place says that they are new (and you know that you can trust them), then they probably are. Receivers don't cost the stores MSRP to buy them, so places that just have them drop-shipped to you from a warehouse have very little overhead and can still make a profit while charging you less.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Depending on which receiver you are looking at, this might interest you. 6th Avenue Electronics, who is an authorized dealer, has some deals on Yamaha receivers.

RX-V863BL: $537 (after $50 rebate)
RX-V1900BL: $1096

Follow the link that I provided for the coupon codes.

H

hjfischer

Enthusiast
I believe unauthorized dealers are importing so called "grey market" merchandise similar to photo products that sell for substantially less than suggested retail prices. There is nothing wrong with grey market products which are new and not refurbished. However, buyers have to be aware that the items are not warranted by the manufacturer, in this case, Yamaha, and that there is a corresponding risk involved depending on overall reliability of the product line. You can almost always purchase a warranty from the seller which when added to the cost of the item will still be less than full retail from an authorized dealer. Its a good idea to check on the customer satisfaction ratings of unauthorized dealers. Having said that, I have previously purchased photo and stereo items from unauthorized dealers and have had no problems. Most recently, I bought a Yamaha V 663 receiver from Digital Megastore (http://www.digitalmegastore.com/product/?51510&hit_id=13080434&Campaign_id=118&CFID=27143847&CFTOKEN=51638125&sk1=1) for $349 plus a 2 year warranty coverage for $59, including free shipping.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis