Yamaha DSP-AX2 volume mystry

L

leo36pk

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I ma new to this forum. So can anyone help me understand why the volume level on my Yamaha DSP-AX2 wont go above 1db..it starts off from -99 db and closes at 1db...shouldnt it go higher or is it like that? my setup is as follows..Panasonic JX-10 DVD....Yamaha DSP-AX2 receiver....Paradigm Monitor 7v.3..(Front) Paradigm CC270(center) BOSE AM3 (surround)...and BIC RTR sub-woofer...
The system sound great though on movies
Thanx
Saad

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Does the manual say what the range is supposed to be? I've never seen a receiver with a scale from -99 to +1; it's usually -something to +10 or so.

However, be aware that the volume trims for each channel affect the range. Let's say the range is -99 to +10, but one or more of the channel trims is at +9 - then the total range would now be -99 to +1.

L

leo36pk

Audiophyte
dear mds..thanx for the reply...the manual dosent say anything about the level. And sorry i didnt understand wat you explained. (layman to the technical terms)..only if u could explain in a simpler way... :confused: just to explain my confusion once again..here is wat bothers me...on the display there are these volume level bars and the db figure...it starts off at minus 99 db and decreases as i turn up the ovulme ..like -89.5 than -88 than -87.5 and so on with the interval of -.5. I hope i have been able to explain...
thanks again

regards

Saad

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you're asking why it's negative numbers, then that's nothing. Most receivers are built that way. I don't remember why exactly, but I think it has something to do with reference levels of some sort.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jaxvon said:
If you're asking why it's negative numbers, then that's nothing. Most receivers are built that way. I don't remember why exactly, but I think it has something to do with reference levels of some sort.

Just an arbitrary assignmet but 0 or around there as some go +10, is for full output. anything below would be referenced to that full power and becomes minus.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis