Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Any obvious reasons not to buy this player? Please inform me if any important features are missing.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I like the looks of it as much as any player. But I think it's a bit over priced, even by BD standards.
The up coming Oppo looks far more tempting.

BTW, welcome back Zumbo.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, welcome back Zumbo.
Thanks! Busy working, and spending time with the baby.:D

Have been waiting for the Yamaha BD player. Doesn't seem match-up to the Marantz and Denon flagships. But, it does cost a good bit less.

J

jamie2112

Banned
The OPPO is coming out in a couple of months. I would wait for that as it plays Sacd-Dvd-a actually it is supposed to play everything......:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, refresh our memories on what system you have?:D

Do you have a Yamaha receiver or something?

Is that why you want to match components?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, refresh our memories on what system you have?:D
It's mixed.

Do you have a Yamaha receiver or something?
Yes.

Is that why you want to match components?
No.

Historically, for me, Yamaha offers fantastic products for a more than fair price. I believe the brand offers the best mid-fi products for the money.

Depending on the product, Denon and Marantz will get the nod from me from time to time. In this case, they are double the price. Just trying to see if there is a good enough reason for them to be twice the price. On paper, their BD players look superior. But, are they?

Amplification aside, I pretty much stick to those three brands.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Just for the record, I don't purchase Sony products.

95prelude

Audioholic Intern
Since you're matching components then the Yammie is not bad of a player. I have the Elite 05FD myself. Denon is coming out with a $800 BD player next month not sure if you're interested in it. Some people will say, get something with profile 2.0. The Yammie is only profile 1.1.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
My Yamaha 5 disc DVD player is quirky thing. While I understand that this new BD player is a different animal all together it doesn't take away the fact that I've been left with a bad taste in my mouth from the experience with it.

Yamaha's receivers are, IMO, some of the best there are. But I'll have trouble purchasing another one of their players, HD or SD.

I'm just guessing that this is simply a re-badged player from some other company. Philips maybe?

And I still feel, for the money, that this one doesn't measure up to those of other companies'. If you are comparing to the $2000 flagship models then the Yamaha wins as far as bang for the buck goes. But start comparing to the $600 to $700 offering of Pioneer, LG, and Panasonic to name a few, and the Yamaha's features begin to lose their luster. As far as the 1.1 vs 2.0 profile goes; at this point it really doesn't matter. But why purchase something that has an even greater chance to become obsolete.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Yamaha 5-disc cd player, and it's a fantastic piece of equipment. That thing will play the worst of cd's without skipping. What else is cool about it, is that it has a gain control. From my understanding, I can run the cd player directly to an amp for a clean 2-channel set-up. Future plans.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
A friend of mine has a Yamaha 5 disc CD player as well. He really likes it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis