Yamaha BD-A1040 Univesal Blu-ray Player Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1040 Blu-ray player is priced at $449.95 and supports a wide variety of disc formats including SACD and DVD-A. In addition, WiFi and Bluetooth antennas are integrated, allowing users to stream content from a variety of network sources. Perhaps most importantly, Yamaha states that the BD-A1040's build quality lives up to the AVENTAGE name, which in our experience is quite good.

Want to know all the details? Click to read the full preview.

Read the Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1040 Blu-Ray Player Preview

M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
Now I can post links - Hopefully this new player tests better than the previous A1020. LINK

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I'll be the first to say it, I wonder how it compares to the Oppo 103. I will likely be between the two units when I decide its time for a new player.

Sean

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If it is anything like previous Yamaha players I would not even consider it. They don't produce their own players and historically they have been absolutely terrible. The software is horrendous, full of poor translations and features like Netflix are completely inoperable on some models. They require repeated power-cycling (unplugging power) due to lock ups and are very slow to read discs. Yamaha products are excellent in general but their Blu-Ray players have been a major exception.

Maybe this one is different? I doubt it but I won't condemn it until I see it.

N

NJSD

Audiophyte
Let me start off by saying I own several pieces of Yamaha audio equipment and have been a Yamaha audio fan for years.
RX-V1300BK receiver
HTR-5680 receiver
RX-V2500BK receiver
and a Portable Yamaha Bluray Disc Burner for my laptop.

The truth is the BD-A1040 Bluray Player truly is a $99.00 to $129.00 piece in a $400.00 box and that's only because it's a Yamaha.

The BD-A1040 is extremely Buggy, you constantly have to hard boot by disconnecting the power cord because the unit constantly locks up when you try to stream using the DLNA option. The unit does not have 2d to 3d conversion, 3d not as good as either of my Sony's (S790 and 5100), nor can you adjust the 3d depth. Only 1 HDMI out. You can only watch video files from a USB Thumb Drive and locks up if you hook up a external HD. (Both Sony units have no problems playing off an external HD).
Crappy remote that the unit barely reads, Cheap and Dated looking GUI, Very slow loading discs. Very limited streaming options, for being such a strongly touted audio piece it doesn't even stream Pandora nor have a web browser or the ability to add on any other apps. At the very least Amazon Prime would have been nice. Limited audio out from coaxial / optical outs. Bluetooth iffy... Very limited range (12' or further is pushing it).

In my opinion after using all 3 of my units I personally feel the $89.00 Sony wipes the floor with this unit both feature and performance wise.

Yamaha's technical assistance was upsetting to say the least. The so called "tech" I was speaking to didn't have a clue about the unit's features so much so I advised him he was not making me feel comfortable that I just purchased this unit, so I demanded to speak to a supervisor... Guy took my name and number at around 1 pm, and told me a supervisor would call me today... 7:27 pm est and no call. And now 24 hours later still no return call.
At least have someone who knows what the unit does answer the tech line.

Currently I am looking to update my receiver and was just about to purchase the Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 to compliment this unit but with all this I'm really going to rethink my next receiver purchase... Maybe a Marantz/Denon.

If I could I'd would get a refund. Don't make the same mistake I made. If you have had bluray players in the past and truly want to upgrade spend a few bucks more and get the Oppo.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me start off by saying I own several pieces of Yamaha audio equipment and have been a Yamaha audio fan for years.
RX-V1300BK receiver
HTR-5680 receiver
RX-V2500BK receiver
and a Portable Yamaha Bluray Disc Burner for my laptop.

The truth is the BD-A1040 Bluray Player truly is a $99.00 to $129.00 piece in a $400.00 box and that's only because it's a Yamaha.

The BD-A1040 is extremely Buggy, you constantly have to hard boot by disconnecting the power cord because the unit constantly locks up when you try to stream using the DLNA option. The unit does not have 2d to 3d conversion, 3d not as good as either of my Sony's (S790 and 5100), nor can you adjust the 3d depth. Only 1 HDMI out. You can only watch video files from a USB Thumb Drive and locks up if you hook up a external HD. (Both Sony units have no problems playing off an external HD).
Crappy remote that the unit barely reads, Cheap and Dated looking GUI, Very slow loading discs. Very limited streaming options, for being such a strongly touted audio piece it doesn't even stream Pandora nor have a web browser or the ability to add on any other apps. At the very least Amazon Prime would have been nice. Limited audio out from coaxial / optical outs. Bluetooth iffy... Very limited range (12' or further is pushing it).

In my opinion after using all 3 of my units I personally feel the $89.00 Sony wipes the floor with this unit both feature and performance wise.

Yamaha's technical assistance was upsetting to say the least. The so called "tech" I was speaking to didn't have a clue about the unit's features so much so I advised him he was not making me feel comfortable that I just purchased this unit, so I demanded to speak to a supervisor... Guy took my name and number at around 1 pm, and told me a supervisor would call me today... 7:27 pm est and no call. And now 24 hours later still no return call.
At least have someone who knows what the unit does answer the tech line.

Currently I am looking to update my receiver and was just about to purchase the Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 to compliment this unit but with all this I'm really going to rethink my next receiver purchase... Maybe a Marantz/Denon.

If I could I'd would get a refund. Don't make the same mistake I made. If you have had bluray players in the past and truly want to upgrade spend a few bucks more and get the Oppo.
That's unfortunate that one bad support staff has turned over the apple cart.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yamaha dropped the price to 399.95.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis