Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3040 AV Receiver Overview

• Thread starter Steve Pitbull Potenziano
  • Start date

Would you upgrade to this AVR?

• Total voters
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene is exactly right. They do not use the same power rating. But I am more Apt to believe they are much more conservative on the power rating than Denon by far. I am pushing this thing and STILL has plenty of head room to go. Lets just say Im sure my wife hates me at this point. lol.
It's no secret that I'm a Yamaha fan boy. My only pet peeve with them is that they got rid of "Yamaha Orange " into their display.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's no secret that I'm a Yamaha fan boy. My only pet peeve with them is that they got rid of "Yamaha Orange " into their display.
Yep. It's one of the main reasons why I won't upgrade my RX-Z7 in my family room system. It's their last AV receiver with the orange display. Call me old school :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems like a great AVR if you don't care for Audyssey XT32 and if YPAO suits you just fine.

I think because people can easily add external amps, people will mostly look at what type of room correction the AVR has.

If people like ARC, they will buy Anthem. If they like Trinnov or Dirac, they will buy products with those RC. If they like Audyssey, they will buy products with Audyssey.

So Yamaha will not win any hearts of people who love Audyssey no matter how great the products are.

The question is, will Yamaha fans still love Yamaha if Yamaha adopted Audyssey? Would they lose any market share if they went with Audyssey, instead of YPAO? :D

If Yamaha adopted Audyssey, it would NOT be good for Denon/Marantz because they would lose a lot of market share IMO.

So I believe Denon/Marantz are very glad that other AVR companies do not use Audyssey.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It seems like a great AVR if you don't care for Audyssey XT32 and if YPAO suits you just fine.

I think because people can easily add external amps, people will mostly look at what type of room correction the AVR has.

If people like ARC, they will buy Anthem. If they like Trinnov or Dirac, they will buy products with those RC. If they like Audyssey, they will buy products with Audyssey.

So Yamaha will not win any hearts of people who love Audyssey no matter how great the products are.

The question is, will Yamaha fans still love Yamaha if Yamaha adopted Audyssey? Would they lose any market share if they went with Audyssey, instead of YPAO? :D

If Yamaha adopted Audyssey, it would NOT be good for Denon/Marantz because they would lose a lot of market share IMO.

So I believe Denon/Marantz are very glad that other AVR companies do not use Audyssey.

I don't think Yamaha fans would drop Yamaha if they went to Audyssey. I think the arguement of Audyssey verses YPAO is more academic and theory based than it is being able to discern real audible difference between the two in a blind listening test.

Please delete this post but keep the one after this one.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't belive Yamaha fans would drop them if they adopted Audyssey. I think the whole arguement between YPAO and Audyssey is academic and theory based. I've yet to see actual documented studies done using blind listening tests where people can discern differences and have preference of one over the other.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think Yamaha fans would drop Yamaha if they went to Audyssey. I think the arguement of Audyssey verses YPAO is more academic and theory based than it is being able to discern real audible difference between the two in a blind listening test.
I may agree on the room correction aspect. The Yamaha Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume may be equal. Dual subwoofer EQ may be equal.

But I think Dynamic EQ sets Audyssey apart from the rest. Yamaha needs to at least have an equivalent to Dynamic EQ (like they have the equivalent to Dynamic VOLUME).

Dolby has Dolby Volume (similar to Dynamic Volume) and Dolby Leveler (similar to Dynamic EQ).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I may agree on the room correction aspect. The Yamaha Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume may be equal. Dual subwoofer EQ may be equal.

But I think Dynamic EQ sets Audyssey apart from the rest. Yamaha needs to at least have an equivalent to Dynamic EQ (like they have the equivalent to Dynamic VOLUME).

Dolby has Dolby Volume (similar to Dynamic Volume) and Dolby Leveler (similar to Dynamic EQ).
They'll have it next year ;) They can't be first at everything.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
hahah. Ypao isn't a biggie for me Pioneer Mac took long time to run especially with all the THX stuff added I used Denon in the past to me I could care either way its what my room acoustics do that counts. If you have shitty room none of those will help you no matter what lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hahah. Ypao isn't a biggie for me Pioneer Mac took long time to run especially with all the THX stuff added I used Denon in the past to me I could care either way its what my room acoustics do that counts. If you have shitty room none of those will help you no matter what lol.
RC can only do so much for sure. If the room itself is a mess, RC can't fix it. Same with the speakers. :D

They'll have it next year ;) They can't be first at everything.
Dynamic EQ would be very good for Yamaha. Would like to see them add that soon. AFAIK (could be mistaken) only Audyssey & Dolby have this. I don't think Pioneer, Lyngdorf, Trinnov, or Dirac have it either.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
RC can only do so much for sure. If the room itself is a mess, RC can't fix it. Same with the speakers. :D

Dynamic EQ would be very good for Yamaha. Would like to see them add that soon. AFAIK (could be mistaken) only Audyssey & Dolby have this. I don't think Pioneer, Lyngdorf, Trinnov, or Dirac have it either.
Off course you know it will Yamaha's version of it :p .

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I'm surprise how much you like DynamicEQ. I found it overboosted the bass and usually left it off for most listening.

Honestly I wish there was a way to limit Auyssey to just correct below 500Hz like the Anthem ARC system does.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm surprise how much you like DynamicEQ. I found it overboosted the bass and usually left it off for most listening.

Honestly I wish there was a way to limit Auyssey to just correct below 500Hz like the Anthem ARC system does.
Oh, yeah, I totally dig DEQ. I find that it doesn't mess with the quality of the midrange or treble at all. DEQ just makes the bass punchier, tighter, and more dynamic.

I tried an experiment where I turned DEQ off and just made the bass super hot +9dB. This caused the bass to be just boomy and muddy, not punchy, tight, and dynamic at all. But with DEQ, I get totally tight, dynamic, punchy bass.

So this tells me that DEQ doesn't just boost the bass level since manually boosting the bass level doesn't achieve the same effect.

Interesting thing is, people seem to have different results (or preferences) no matter what systems they use.

I've listened to ARC at someone else's house, and I thought DEQ sounded much better. But, of course, we are talking about 2 completely different systems. :D

But even if it were the same exact system, it would probably still be a matter of preference.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer

Agreed. Id rather have a Perfect setup room with awesome acoustics then dial it all in myself. I found relying on what the Auto calibrate does besides squashing tones is 1. NEVER get it right as far as distance and 2. NEVER get it right because of distance lol.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oh, yeah, I totally dig DEQ. I find that it doesn't mess with the quality of the midrange or treble at all. DEQ just makes the bass punchier, tighter, and more dynamic.

I tried an experiment where I turned DEQ off and just made the bass super hot +9dB. This caused the bass to be just boomy and muddy, not punchy, tight, and dynamic at all. But with DEQ, I get totally tight, dynamic, punchy bass.

So this tells me that DEQ doesn't just boost the bass level since manually boosting the bass level doesn't achieve the same effect.

Interesting thing is, people seem to have different results (or preferences) no matter what systems they use.

I've listened to ARC at someone else's house, and I thought DEQ sounded much better. But, of course, we are talking about 2 completely different systems. :D

But even if it were the same exact system, it would probably still be a matter of preference.
The manual bass controls on the AVP are very low Q so they boost a very broad band whereas DEQ may do the boost in a narrower range. I wish Denon would replace their crude manual GEQ with an adjustable PEQ like Yamaha has, though with ability to adjust down to 20Hz.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
The manual bass controls on the AVP are very low Q so they boost a very broad band whereas DEQ may do the boost in a narrower range. I wish Denon would replace their crude manual GEQ with an adjustable PEQ like Yamaha has, though with ability to adjust down to 20Hz.

That I agree it is cool I can adjust all of that in manual control on The Yamaha AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, no, I was not referring to the manual EQ. I was only talking about the speaker channel level for the Subs (-12.0dB to +12.0dB).

I would NEVER mess with the manual EQ. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't belive Yamaha fans would drop them if they adopted Audyssey. I think the whole arguement between YPAO and Audyssey is academic and theory based. I've yet to see actual documented studies done using blind listening tests where people can discern differences and have preference of one over the other.
But, if Yammy adopts Audyssey, there is a good chance the price would go up due to the added license.

I am also a huge Yammy fan. But, I haven't owned one since before they had YPAO or any room correction was really the norm on an AVR.

My old natural sound AVR was great!!! I sold it to a friend many years ago, and he still rocks it for his main stereo.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
But, if Yammy adopts Audyssey, there is a good chance the price would go up due to the added license.

I am also a huge Yammy fan. But, I haven't owned one since before they had YPAO or any room correction was really the norm on an AVR.

My old natural sound AVR was great!!! I sold it to a friend many years ago, and he still rocks it for his main stereo.
The costs would go up for sure if they adopted Audyssey . I hope they never will. Yamaha makes extremely reliable equipment, no matter what it is.... AVR, motorbikes, musical instruments. Its just good stuff. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis