Yamaha Announces the RX-V2700 and RX-V1700 !

A

alpina

Enthusiast
broberts said:
This offereing doesn't seem to add any real value over the 2600 from what I can tell. An extra HDMI port an YPAO is nice, but not the kind of feature enhancement I was looking for in a next gen Yamaha ;) . If it had HDMI 1.3, I think they would have said so in the press release, as that is a huge feature (from the audio side at least). It also says nothing about new audio format support (further suggesting that there is no hdmi 1.3). Bottom line: I want new audio formats before I spend that kind of money on a receiver. I really wish Yamaha would have waited a little bit longer and worked a bit harder to released a product with REAL added value :( . As mensioned above, at least this will force a price drop on the 2600's:D .

100% agree - cant help thinking this model was released just for the sake of it, perhaps even a few month ahead of typical yamaha fashion (recall 2600 coming out about Dec last year and buying one :))

i have since sold my 2600 and was looking forward to the 2700 but no hdmi 1.3 and the new audio formats that will come with it means that this model is not for me.

yamaha should have kept the 2500 for awhile longer as it is after all an awesome receiver. 2700 should have been delayed till they sorted out 1.3.

cheers,

julie

W

wagonorsuv

Enthusiast
z9 long in tooth vs digital radio hdmi models...

Never see these in stores, the 2600 is pushed more as it's easier to find more folks who can afford most likely..

Buy a z9 b stock or get a denon 4806 or wait?

Looking for power and sound quality. Don't need all of the HDMI or digital radio features...

In case anyone's missed it... the RX-V2600/2700 is now more akin to the old 3000 series and the RX-V1600/1700 has more in common with what was expected of the 2000-series line. As prices, features and power have crept up the lines have morphed somewhat.

After CEDIA will be a great time to buy to 1600/2600 models if you're looking for a bargain.

R

RandD

Audiophyte
I like 2600. I think it sounds and performs wonderfully. I do not see any added value for me in the 2700. I have no buyer regret with my 2600 purchase.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
alpina said:
100% agree - cant help thinking this model was released just for the sake of it, perhaps even a few month ahead of typical yamaha fashion (recall 2600 coming out about Dec last year and buying one :))

i have since sold my 2600 and was looking forward to the 2700 but no hdmi 1.3 and the new audio formats that will come with it means that this model is not for me.

yamaha should have kept the 2500 for awhile longer as it is after all an awesome receiver. 2700 should have been delayed till they sorted out 1.3.

cheers,

julie
Julie,

My Yamaha dealer tells me that Yamaha is still manufacturing new RX-V2500's! Wild. And it's a great bang for buck buy...new/warrantied...at less than $550. :cool:

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
1080i or 1080p?

Does the 2700 upconvert to 1080i or 1080p? The heading mentions 1080p but the report says 1080i.

The RX-V1700/2700 will PASS 1080p and UPCONVERT to 720p/1080i. This is fine as you would probably want your nifty 1080p display to upconvert signal to 1080p if it wasn't native.

B

Boltonite

Audiophyte
Video Scaling?

The press release states that the video scaling is done by Anchor Bay Technology’s ABT1010 video scaling chip. How does this compare to the video scaling in the RX-2600? I couldn't find any information regarding what the 2600 used. Is it the same?

Also, how does this compare to the Faroudja scaling in the Pioneer VSX-82TXS?

R

RandD

Audiophyte
Boltonite said:
The press release states that the video scaling is done by Anchor Bay Technology’s ABT1010 video scaling chip. How does this compare to the video scaling in the RX-2600? I couldn't find any information regarding what the 2600 used. Is it the same?

Also, how does this compare to the Faroudja scaling in the Pioneer VSX-82TXS?
High-definition video up-conversion to realize the full potential of HDMI

HDMI printed circuit board
The RX-V2600 and RX-V1600 are both equipped with high-definition video up-conversion circuitry incorporating high-performance video encoder/decoders from Analog Devices Inc. and high-performance IP converter devices from Oplus Technologies. This allows them to up-convert video signals from any type of source, including analogue sources, and output it to HDMI as a digital signal (480p) with no loss in quality. Just connect the A/V receiver to any HDMI compatible display or TV using a single HDMI cable and enjoy video input from any source component. It can even deinterlace a 480i video input signal into a 480p output signal for viewing on displays that do not support 480i input. Furthermore, the RX-V2600 has an upscaling function that converts 480p video signals into high-definition (1080i/720p) signals, allowing for video reproduction that captures the finest details. The built-in Time Base Corrector (TBC) transforms degraded analogue video signals into stable format for distortion free viewing.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/dsp/rx-v2600doc/tech/02.html

B

Boltonite

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply but that really doesn't answer the question I asked. I realize that both the 2600 and 1600 (as well as the 2700 and 1700) provide for video conversion. I'm also aware that (of these models) only the 2600 and 2700 perform video scaling. My question is, are the video scaling capabilities and quality identical? Do they employ the same Anchor Bay Technology’s ABT1010 video scaling chip? I could not find any information on what chip the 2600 uses.

And once again, how does the scaling by the Anchor Bay chip differ from the Faoudja scaling in the Pioneer models VSX-82TXS and VSX-84TXSi?

D

Deaver

Audiophyte
Boltonite said:
Thanks for the reply but that really doesn't answer the question I asked. I realize that both the 2600 and 1600 (as well as the 2700 and 1700) provide for video conversion. I'm also aware that (of these models) only the 2600 and 2700 perform video scaling. My question is, are the video scaling capabilities and quality identical? Do they employ the same Anchor Bay Technology’s ABT1010 video scaling chip? I could not find any information on what chip the 2600 uses.

And once again, how does the scaling by the Anchor Bay chip differ from the Faoudja scaling in the Pioneer models VSX-82TXS and VSX-84TXSi?
Hi Boltonite - I had the exact same questions. From what I've found out the 2700 will be superior in it's video scaling compared to the 2600. The 2600 uses an all in one de-interlacer/scaler from Oplus Technologies (A company based in Israel and bought by Intel early this year).

The 2700 uses a new Oplus chip purely for de-interlacing (From the 2600 reviews the Oplus seems to de-interlace extremely well but has questionable scaling). However it uses the new ABT chip for scaling.

All I know about the ABT chip is that Arcam chose to use it in their latest top end DVD player the DiVA DV137. That's good enough for me as it's a £1200+ DVD player!

I'm therefore currently extremely excited about the 2700. Not only will it switch all my old Standard Def kit to HDMI but it seems like it will scale it all using one of the best high end scaler chips on the market. It should also therefore transform your £130 Pioneer (or other budget player) into a top end upscaling DVD player by simply outputting an untouched interlaced signal and let the 2700 do the rest.

The Ethernet port is fantastic (It means I won't have to buy a Sqeezebox for the living room any more!). It has top end Burr Brown DAC etc and some new technology to make compressed music sound better (whatever... bring it on!). I will also use the 5.1 internet radio.

From what I can see this is my dream amp for the price and a few of you guys are being a little negative! Sure if you're not going to use the video aspects or any of the new features it's a waste of money - and will only serve to make the amp you need cheaper!

There is only one question I really have before I order:

Will the 2700 be able to upscale a video signal coming in via HDMI? The 2600 can't.

As for HDMI 1.3 - ok so the standard is out... But this technology won't be being manufactured for a year yet. At that point EVERYTHING will need replacing. All our HDMI switches, TV's, projectors, DVD players etc. To be honest by the time I get a HDMI 3 display and Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player I'll be happy to pump the signal direct. If Yamaha waited for HDMI 1.3 before releasing this it would be a LONG time coming and as I need an amp in the next few months I'm very happy they didn't.

Last edited:
D

davo

Full Audioholic
It appears that Yamaha are doing a last minute fling with an amp that has midiocre improvements over the 2600, before a lot of really cool stuff comes out later this year(any one heard of PS3?). The PS3 will have HDMI v1.3 PLUS high definition DD/DTS AND be released in November(hopefully).

No one can honestly say that Yamaha doesn't have any access to these technologies at this time. They are basically going for one more lap around the block with what they have before they REALLY have to upgrade.

Some might call me a bit negative, but I hate it when you wait for a year or two, just to have your favorite brand do a rush job.(Gee, I forgot to whinge about Yam trying to make an extra buck...opps!)

Maybe next year, if someone else cant get it happening first.
:mad: :mad:

B

Blondini

Enthusiast
Did anybody know if new Yamaha RX-V2700 has an i.Link connection?

:p

D

Deaver

Audiophyte
Blondini said:
Did anybody know if new Yamaha RX-V2700 has an i.Link connection?
Looks like it will "i.link digital input for DVD-Audio and SACD"

http://avforum.no/avnytt/showproduct.php/product/1114

Remember having a PS3 does not give you HDMI 1.3 - your display has to support it as well. The ps3 looks to be the first device with HDMI 1.3. However as none of my display/projector/switch box/DVD drive/streamer devices support it I'm glad I'm not paying the extra for 4 x HDMI 1.3 interfaces and the ability to switch between them all etc. The cost increase would be huge - and it would be delayed until next year at least. I'd rather HDMI 1.3 came out in a much more expensive top of the range model so I can stay away from it!!

The 2700 has many new features that I want. On top of this it looks to be improving both audio and especially video scaling quality. What more do you want? :confused: A 1.3 model will probably come out March-ish next year.

S

shperez

Enthusiast
RandD said:
I like 2600. I think it sounds and performs wonderfully. I do not see any added value for me in the 2700. I have no buyer regret with my 2600 purchase.

I agree 100%. I recently purchased a 2600, and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I would like it to have is the OSD via HDMI when I have my Cable box or HD DVD player at 1080i. The new 2700 also has the wooping 1080P support.... blah....

bdstuart

Audiophyte
rjbudz said:
Julie,

My Yamaha dealer tells me that Yamaha is still manufacturing new RX-V2500's! Wild. And it's a great bang for buck buy...new/warrantied...at less than $550. :cool:

Where can I find a new/warrantied RX-V2500 for under $550...that's what I'm looking for. Can anyone help?

S

Stainless_Steel

Audiophyte
My local Tweeter store has them for $600, but I'm not sure if one in your area would be the same. I'm in Upstate South Carolina. Just check out one in your area and when you talk to them tell them that you know the store in Greenville, SC has them for $600. Maybe they will call them and you can get that price there. I don't know. Hope this helps. :D

BJWagner

BJWagner

Enthusiast
Okay, say I go out and pick up the RX-V2700 right after Christmas. I know it'll be a big step up from my current receiver, but how will it preform IF HDMI 1.3 and Dolby Digtal HD, etc. come into play next year or sometime in the near future and I by a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis