D

ddcobb

Junior Audioholic
Both are available for $399 so which would choose and why?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
One of the immediate differences between the two is. 861 HDMI 1.2a, and the 663 is HDMI 1.3

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Definitely the 663, reasons are:

1. it can decode the HD sound formats.
2. Has HDMI1.3.
3. It is the newest model.

The 861 has a touch higher rated power output but that won't do anything for you.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
No question. The 663. If for no other reason the HD audio decoding.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receivers.

Both Yamaha receivers are great options and a good price. Depending on your other gear, you might like the video scaling feature on the RX-V861. I am not aware of any situation that REQUIRES HDMI 1.3 audio processing. The best BluRay player, the PS3, doesn't even output bitstream.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am just diggin my 663. Well, at least so far anyways.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Another vote for the RX-V663, even if you don't need the HDMI 1.3 stuff it's still got two subwoofer outputs (which are almost irrelevant.;)).:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Both Yamaha receivers are great options and a good price. Depending on your other gear, you might like the video scaling feature on the RX-V861. I am not aware of any situation that REQUIRES HDMI 1.3 audio processing. The best BluRay player, the PS3, doesn't even output bitstream.
That video scaler is not that useful either regardless of other gear.:)

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
I picked 663

Both are available for $399 so which would choose and why?
I love it for the HDMI inputs, and I had the predcessor the 659. The 663 adds two HDMI inputs! Now I'm rocking with my PS3 playing games and watching Blu Rays!

My 659 had 100 watts per channel, this one has 90/ch, but I honestly have not noticed. (plus you need to double the power for every 3 db increase in volume!) It also has preouts like most yammys, so you can add independent amps later if you choose.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis