J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Some group of yahoos down in Louisiana put their heads together and got the bright idea of staging an MLK protest...on MLK day no less! Well, this group of 50 separatist nitwits were met by a group of 100 counter protesters. Hmmmphhh. :) You may remember that this is the town (Jena, LA) where 6 black teenagers were arrested for the beating of one white teenager, and a huge protest was staged last fall. Ahh, the ill-laid plans of...

Dufuses!

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view.bg?articleid=1068088

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
This isn't surprising at all - it seems like every day a group of idiots decides to get together and protest something for which they have no real knowledge of and/or appreciation. MLK was undoubetdly one of the most iconic heroes of our time, but of course there will always be those poor, uneducated chumps who can't see past their own bloated beer bellies and rebel flags long enough to understand the true nature of civility.

Nevertheless, agree with them or not, everyone has a right to protest - for anyone who is dumb enough to listen to what they have to say, when they could've just been herded back down to the bayou and left to tend to their gators and crawdads.

God Bless America... :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yes. Of course they have the right to a peaceful protest Halon.

I just thought it funny that they spent the time and energy to orchestrate such a protest, and all they could muster up was 50 of their fellow intelligentsia.

The counter protesters had no time to plan and organize, and they got 100 to march. Oops. :p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
LOL - true indeed. It doesn't take a lot to mobilize people for the sake of countering blatant ignorance, presumably. :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
LOL - true indeed. It doesn't take a lot to mobilize people for the sake of countering blatant ignorance, presumably. :D
If there's a will. :)

Their brilliant act is akin to protesting the celebration of Christ's birthday at St. Paul's on December 25th. :) (not that I'm attempting to insert a religious seque here :p...it's just akin, that's all).

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Or, 'Stupid is as stupid does'. - Forrest Gump :D
Hah. Yes. But I don't ever think any of us have hailed the separatists with black armbands as intelligent. :) It reminds me of the first Blues Brothers movie when Belushi and Ackroyd drive the separatists off the bridge into the river...and then gave Wrigley Field as their home address. :p

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
What's saddest is that I bet a vast majority of the folks who live in Jena, LA are good people who have relatively few race issues but have had to see their town dragged completely through the muck over the past 6 months. It would be great if the town could be left alone for a change by ALL sides (that includes you Revered Al) and be left in peace to work out their issues internally instead of each evening on the nightly news.

As for the protesters- freedom of speech is a great law, but sometimes it makes you wish people were born without tongues :)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
As for the protesters- freedom of speech is a great law, but sometimes it makes you wish people were born without tongues :)
I couldn't have said it better. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson do more harm to racial equality than they have ever done to promote it. MLK's greatest triumph was his ability to see a level playing field where no one else could. The only thing these nutjobs do is continually throw racial issues into the face of America, many times when race wasn't even the issue in the first place. Instead of erasing racial tensions, they help create them.

MLK is surely turning in his grave these days...:(

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I couldn't have said it better. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson do more harm to racial equality than they have ever done to promote it. MLK's greatest triumph was his ability to see a level playing field where no one else could. The only thing these nutjobs do is continually throw racial issues into the face of America, many times when race wasn't even the issue in the first place. Instead of erasing racial tensions, they help create them.

MLK is surely turning in his grave these days...:(
Don't take this the wrong way Halon, but you are then playing right into their hands.

What do you think (Al and his type) their biggest weapon is?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Nah, John - I think you mistook me for those I describe. I'm not bothered by it, and it doesn't do anything to change my opinion one way or another on the race card. But it's regretfully clear that these two have an agenda that is far beyond the scope of the human equality that MLK promoted. Yes, they prey on ignorance and misunderstanding - and there are thousands if not millions of people who do play right into their hands (from both sides of the racial divide), without even realizing that race tensions have a natural ability to self-equalize, in other words - the more it is left alone, the less people realize it exists.

Yet -

It would be naive to think that everyone could just up and forget the hundreds of years of racial inequality that has existed long before this country was officially signed into existence - so this is a concept that is much easier for a white person to grasp than it is for a person of color. My own hunch is that it will be hundreds of years more before the line finally dissolves, if it ever does. But any step in the right direction is a step in the right direction either way. MLK understood this.

Sharpton and Jackson only want to subvert the process because it gives them reason to remain in the public spotlight, where they want to keep a stronghold on their own warped sense of purpose. Racial inequality gives them reason to exist in the limelight. That is their one true agenda, not the advancement of their race, or equality on all terms.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Nah, John - I think you mistook me for those I describe. I'm not bothered by it, and it doesn't do anything to change my opinion one way or another on the race card. But it's regretfully clear that these two have an agenda that is far beyond the scope of the human equality that MLK promoted. Yes, they prey on ignorance and misunderstanding - and there are thousands if not millions of people who do play right into their hands (from both sides of the racial divide), without even realizing that race tensions have a natural ability to self-equalize, in other words - the more it is left alone, the less people realize it exists.

Yet -

It would be naive to think that everyone could just up and forget the hundreds of years of racial inequality that has existed long before this country was officially signed into existence - so this is a concept that is much easier for a white person to grasp than it is for a person of color. My own hunch is that it will be hundreds of years more before the line finally dissolves, if it ever does. But any step in the right direction is a step in the right direction either way. MLK understood this.

Sharpton and Jackson only want to subvert the process because it gives them reason to remain in the public spotlight, where they want to keep a stronghold on their own warped sense of purpose. Racial inequality gives them reason to exist in the limelight. That is their one true agenda, not the advancement of their race, or equality on all terms.
Yes. And no, I didn't (and don't) think of you as those you've described. But my question remains...what do you think their greatest weapon is? And that is for all to answer? (not just directed at you Halon :)).

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sorry, but you have to be prejudiced as hell to not want to take a day off work. I'm half black and if they had KKK day, I'd be kickin' back at home with my feet up and a beer in my hand, sayin' "Here's to ya." :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'm sorry, but you have to be prejudiced as hell to not want to take a day off work. I'm half black and if they had KKK day, I'd be kickin' back at home with my feet up and a beer in my hand, sayin' "Here's to ya." :D
What's the other half? I agree with you darien...to a point. Provided you're not directing that statement at anyone.

But I've always thought believers in holidays such as these think of them as a day on, not off.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Personally I think the biggest thing they have going for them (if you would call it a weapon) is the ignorance and laziness of those who lack the moral courage to simply stand for what's right and are looking for a quick way to blame the rest of the world for their problems. I don't know, honestly - I think the question could be evaluated from several different angles. Why, what's your take on it John?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Personally I think the biggest thing they have going for them (if you would call it a weapon) is the ignorance and laziness of those who lack the moral courage to simply stand for what's right and are looking for a quick way to blame the rest of the world for their problems. I don't know, honestly - I think the question could be evaluated from several different angles. Why, what's your take on it John?
Well, I actually have the answer. :) So I'll see what others care to toss in. This is a worthwhile topic btw...too many sweep race discussions under the rug, as if it's tabboo.

I once had a black woman tell me that she could not be racist...wasn't possible. Anyone care to guess why? Not that I'm trying to make this a guessing game. It goes to the psyche of some African Americans...perhaps a majority this country. Too many people do not give it thought. Well, I gave her an earful...and I believe I'm right, for good reason, and that she was wrong (on how she could not possibly be racist).

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I got it wrong then. :confused::D

I agree - this is indeed a topic that too many feel is taboo, and/or don't want to express their own opinions for fear of being called out on claims of racism and/or bigotry. This is perhaps evidenced by the very few who have responded to your original post.

It seems I am not one of these people - the woman you spoke of supports my claim of ignorance, for claiming that she couldn't possibly be racist. Wow, I wish I could've been there to overhear the retort.

I'm not a racist, bigot, or otherwise bone-headed supremacist. In an ideal world, we would all come together in this great country from all the various cultures, countries, religions and races and simply live together under the description, "American". But there are forces that are out there to keep us as divided as humanly possible, and the problem will only get worse before it gets better. Sharpton and Jackson are right up there with Metzger and David Duke as far as I'm concerned, and we would all be much better off with the whole lot of them marooned together on a desert island to battle it out amongst themselves, and leave the rest of the country out of it.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
I couldn't have said it better. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson do more harm to racial equality than they have ever done to promote it. (
I respectfully disagree.

Living in the shadows of NYC, we see alot more then most people.

Al Sharpton is a Bigot.

Jesse Jackson is a good man. Yes he's made mistakes in the past (who hasn't), but Jackson has "manned up / owned up" to them, and he's a passionate sincere man.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
You know, come to think of it, I haven't seen Jesse Jackson in the spotlight for quite some time - I guess I'm putting the two of them together because they used to pretty much share it equally and under the same conditions. ;)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
What's the other half? I agree with you darien...to a point. Provided you're not directing that statement at anyone.

But I've always thought believers in holidays such as these think of them as a day on, not off.
Dad's black, mom's white. And my statement was mostly in jest. But you get my point.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis